3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 10:17 AM by the_wine_snob

video lag avi file premiere elements 9

metaldeval

I have a video that was originally a quicktime file that i transcoded into an avi but no matter what setting i choose in elements the video has lag to the point i can't edit it.  i tried using a file that was 1920x1080 and a 1280x720 but neither work.  What can I do?

• 1. Re: video lag avi file premiere elements 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, what are the full specs. of the AVI file, the Frame Size, the FPS and the CODEC used?

How did you convert the MOV file?

Did the MOV file not Import? Were there any error messages? If so, what were they?

What is your Project's Preset, chosen at New Project?

What is the speed and type of your CPU, and also, can you give us the full details of your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their speed, their connection type, the amount of defragmented free-space, and how you have them allocated?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: video lag avi file premiere elements 9
            metaldeval Level 1

Thanks for the quick response. The original avi file is 1440x1080 at 29fps but i've also tried 1920x1080 and 1280x720  The codec is divx.  I converted using a free trial of winx hd video converter.  The MOV file wouldn't import saying there was missing codec.  I've tried every project preset possible.  My computer has 6 GB ram i5 processor the other stuff i'm not sure i thought i was decent with computers but apparently not.  I did think maybe I was missing a codec so I downloaded divx codec pack and now i don't even have video but only audio.  I am able to view the files in WMV no problem but once in premiere I have problems.

• 3. Re: video lag avi file premiere elements 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

DivX is a delivery-only format, not meant for editing. Some NLE (Non Linear Editing) programs will handle it, but PrE, and PrPro do not like it in the least.

I use an older shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, to convert the DivX material to DV-AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, and they edit fine.

Now, if the original material is 1280 x 720, that would be what I would convert to. Not sure what the capabilities of your conversion program are, but would look to H.264 CODEC, which is fairly common, and is pretty good.

Then, I would look into using an AVCHD 1280 x 720 Project, though the files will not be true AVCHD. One of the DSLR Presets might be a good choice too.

Do not choose one of the highly-compressed, delivery-only formats, like DivX, or Xvid. WMV, while it should work, is also highly compressed, and exacts a major toll on resources to decode on the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt