11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2012 1:31 PM by salimba

Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?

salimba

Hi

I just need quick answer as im getting a second hand Apple iMac 27

Proccessor: 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core

• Memory: 8GB DDR3

• 1 TB 7200RPM SATA

•  4850 HD Radeon

• Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

• Apple Mighty Mouse

for 1100euro.

should i go for it?

and is it good enough for me to use cs5.5 with this one?

pls let me know asap as i have to buy it tomorrow!

Thanx

• 1. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No. It does not meet minimum requirements and does not support hardware MPE.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
            salimba Level 1

Aha thanx alot for ure quick answer!

im suprised that it doesnt even meet minimum requirements

do u have any imac for me as ure recomendation? for use of cs5.5!

i have allways used windows but i wanted some changes and wanted to go imac apple this time....

• 3. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look here, although this pertains to PC's, but you get the gist I guess: Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5

The problem with an iMac is the single disk (where you would need as a minimum two 7200 SATA disks), plus an ATI video card that does not support hardware MPE. Maybe it can be exchanged for a nVidia Quadro 4000 card at huge $$$, Preferably you would use at least three or more disks, see Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update...

I know, these are all Windows based systems, not MAC based, but they offer so much more options for a fraction of the price and better performance, that IMO the choice is a no-brainer.

i have allways used windows but i wanted some changes and wanted to go imac apple this time....

That is a definite change for the worse. A very bad choice.

• 4. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
                RjL190365 Level 4

I also agree with Harm, for the following reasons:

1) That iMac, being based on a Lynnfield i7 (in this case, an i7-860) CPU, does not have Thunderbolt or eSATA capability at all. It has no output faster than Firewire 800 - and Firewire 800 is still much slower than SATA or eSATA. Moreover, it supports only a single fast hard drive - period. External hard drives will be bottlenecked by the slower external ports.

2) 8GB is not quite enough RAM to run CS5.5 at its best, especially on OSX which is actually slower in running CS5.5 than an otherwise identically equipped Windows 7-based PC.

3) As Harm noted, the HD 4850 does not support MPE GPU acceleration at all. (In fact, the MPE GPU accelerated mode does not support any ATi or AMD GPUs at all - only nVidia CUDA GPUs.) This means that CS5.5 would be permanently locked to the MPE software-only mode, which can be as much as 10 to 20 times slower than the MPE GPU accelerated mode for timeline renders. (Encodes do not matter as much with regards to GPU selection for the software-only mode since encoding is done entirely by the CPU even with MPE GPU acceleration supported and enabled.) Unfortunately, the GPU in any iMac cannot be upgraded at all - internally. Thus, with that 2009 iMac, you're stuck with the 4850.

4) That Lynnfield i7 is actually slower in performance than even a low-end quad-core Sandy Bridge i5 (e.g. i5-2400) at stock speed - and the iMac does not allow any overclocking whatsoever.

• 5. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
                  salimba Level 1

ok thanx for the help!

And I thought mac was better system to use when u edit ure videos...so i guess i should stay put on windows...i will see what else i can get.

• 6. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

If you must go Mac, the only Macs that are any good for video editing are the super-expensive Mac Pro line, which is now nearly a year and a half old (and has not seen any hardware updates or price drops whatsoever since it was introduced back in September of 2010), and the hardware is still clearly one generation behind the current parts. These Mac Pros start at $2,500 just for a stripped-down configuration that also falls well short of Harm's practical minimum hardware requirements. Worse, Apple definitely steals you blind when it comes to hardware upgrades (such as a second CPU, additional hard drives and more RAM); for example, Apple charges you a whopping $1,250 just to upgrade from the base 3GB of RAM to 24GB of RAM. Third-party resellers sell Mac Pro-compatible DDR3 24GB kits for only about $200.

• 7. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

And I thought mac was better system to use when u edit ure videos

A common misconception.  Mac's aren't actually "better" at anything.  They're just different (which differences often cause compatibility issues), and usually more expensive.

• 8. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
                        salimba Level 1

what u say about this one....is this one good enough =?

3.20GHz Intel Core i7-3930K

MSi X79A-GD45 (med SATA-600, USB3.0, Firewire

16 GB (4x 4 GB) - PC3-12800

Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 - 1.25 GB

80 GB - SATA-300 Solid-State Drive

1 TB - SATA-300 Hard drive  7200 rpm

500gb - SATA-300 Hard drive 7200 rpm

500gb - SATA-300 Hard drive 7200 rpm

Blu-ray-& DVD-burner SuperMulti Blue DVD±RW

850W -

• 9. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

That's better than what most of us have.

How much?

• 10. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
                            salimba Level 1

complete price 2 355us dollar

• 11. Re: Good decision to buy imac to edit my vids?
                              salimba Level 1

its new

but I was wondering about the

Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 - 1.25 GB is it good enough for use of cs5.5?