4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2012 10:00 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Having problems loading up my project file.

MyProjectIsntOpening

So I've been working on video for the past month, literally spent hundreds of hours on it. Now I've run into a problem, if I try to open the project file the loading stops at 88%, and then AE stops working (No error messages what so ever), and I have to close it. I'm guessing it's a asset file I put in that it has problems loading. I've been working with AE and Premiere. I can open other projects just fine. Unfortunately I didn't enable auto-save, so I can't go back from a earlier save. Words cannot express the frustration I'm going through right now.

Here's what I've tried;

-Importing the project from another project
      -Clearing out cache folders

hardware is not the issue here, I've got i7, 8GB ram and GTX 560ti

Hopefully someone can help me with this problem.

• 1. Re: Having problems loading up my project file.
          MyProjectIsntOpening Level 1

If the corrupt assets is the problem, how do I unlink them when I can't access the project?

• 2. Re: Having problems loading up my project file.
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Unfortunately I didn't enable auto-save,

You know, there is these cute Save as Copy and Save Incremental thingies in the menu.... I mean, if I had worked on this for that long and it were that critical, I sure as hell would have a project_00.aep up to project_20.aep on my drives, possibly more iterations, and I'd back them up each and every day to an external drive or USB stick at least. Anyway, if you think it depends on teh footage, the proper thing to do is to offline the footage by moving it to another place. You can always reload and relink it later. That also includes trying to open the project on another system. If that doesn't work, then indeed you may be FUBARd...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Having problems loading up my project file.
              MyProjectIsntOpening Level 1

Fortunately, I figued a way to fix it. I've been using premiere along with AE, so I tried opening a previous save from the premiere project (auto-save was enabled), this seemed to do the trick, I had to re-link all the asset files in premiere, it took a while but it worked. If I were to guess the problem would be a asset linking from AE to Premiere was bad, I'm not sure though.

Lesson learned; enable auto-save.

• 4. Re: Having problems loading up my project file.
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Mylenium suggests, periodically using the Increment & Save command is a good way to protect against such failures. It's better than auto-save for this purpose because you can save at specific milestones and---even more important---the new versions don't end up overwriting the old versions as is true with auto-save, which only keeps a specified number of versions.