15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 9:02 AM by joec925

Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.

joec925 Level 1

CS4 (11.0.2) and Windows 7 Home Edition.

Have developed a problem trying to load some TIF images into Photoshop. I have a large number of images archived over a decade or more. At this point it may some of the older files that exhibit the problem. Now all these files were edited and stored using the Photoshop versions during the complete time period. The files are always saved with no compression. Have tried to load from Photoshop and clicking on the file in a file list. Photoshop just hangs and I get the message Program not responding. I can take these same files and load them into the ROXIO photo editor with no problem. Stranger yet is if I simply load the file into the ROXIO editor then "save as" back into the same folder (overwrite) the file can then be brought into Photoshop with no problem! Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
          Curt Y Level 7

Difficult to pin down the cause, but not uncommon behavior.

Photoshop is quite restrictive in file characteristics, and may not open them.  While Infranview or other browser will.

You solution is probably one that would be recommended.  Open it and re-save.

• 2. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
            Noel Carboni Level 8

You say you saved these files from prior versions of Photoshop?

I wouldn't expect a later version of Photoshop to have any problem.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Do you have a small one you could share?  I'll be happy to try opening it to see if it's a specific problem with your current system.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                joec925 Level 1

Noel, I can provide some of the "problem" TIF images (they are less than 1MB each). Do I upload them to this forum topic or email to you? FYI, these images load fine in CS4 Bridge, Winows Explorer, ArcSoft Photo Studio and Roxio Photoshow.

CurtY, Yes that one solution using Roxio Photoshow works but I have 5,802 images archived!

• 5. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

I don't know whether you can post a TIFF directly to the forum, using the little "camera" icon.  If you don't have a web page on which you can host a TIFF directly, feel free to eMail one to me and I'll be happy to host it and post a link here for others to try to open.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Joe has sent me two TIFF files with which we can try to reproduce the problem (Cute baby, Joe!). 

I have had no problem opening them into Photoshop CS4 or CS5.  The only thing special I can see about these files is that they're tagged with an uncommon color profile:  Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3001 (8bpc)

What are your color-management settings, Joe?

Here are the files if others would like to try:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/ijc5112-000-p037e01b.tif

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/ijc5120-002-p009a.tif

-Noel

• 7. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                      joec925 Level 1

Noel,

I think you established the problem. Did you say that the samples I sent you loaded ok in CS4 and/or CS5 Photoshop?.

I ran some tests on random images and here is what I have found so far.

All images are 300 resolution, 8 bits, Color mode=RGB as per Bridge metadata view.

(1) Photoshop brings in the images ok as RGB (Image-->Mode) for the following Bridge metadata view "Color Profile": sRGB IEC61966-2.1, untagged, Adobe RGB (1998) and Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3000.

(2) Photoshop hangs for Color Profile: Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3001.

• 8. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Depending on your color management settings, things can be done to convert the image on opening the file - say, for example, to your preferred working space.

There are some checkboxes that you can check to have Photoshop prompt you if the image profile doesn't match your preferred working space.  Try this:  Check them, then when you open an image, when it prompts, choose Convert to Working Space.

-Noel

• 9. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                          joec925 Level 1

Just an update to the situation.

The 3001 images load ok with:

Bridge CS4

Windows Explorer

Word Insert

Lightroom

ROXIO Photosuite

That is all I tried but pretty sure the problem is in my copy of Photoshop CS4 only. Glad to see this. since do not have to look forward to converting profiles in images.

When Photoshop crashes upon opening a 3001 profile image the "Details" are:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Photoshop.exe

Applicationb Version:     11.0.2.0

Application Timestamp: 4bf2d91c

Fault Module Name: ACE.dll

Fault Module Version: 2.14.21.1744

Exception Code: c0000005

I guess a reinstall or repair is needed for my Photoshop CS4. Will look into this later.

• 10. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                            Level 7

I haven't been able to reproduce the crash or any other problem with those files.

And the color profile is bad (not really sRGB, ignored chromatic adaptation, precision problems), but not so bad that Photoshop won't use it.

• 11. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

Might it be helpful to try different OpenGL advanced settings?  I think some of those affect where the color management is done (CPU vs. GPU).

-Noel

• 12. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                                joec925 Level 1

Noel,

Will try to keep short.

I reinstalled Photoshop CS4 from the cd CS set. Did not uninstall first. Restarted PC and Photoshop. Still failed the same way with a 3001 image.

Did the following, changing one item in the Edit->Preference->GPU Setting. After each change, closed Photoshop, reopened, brought in 3001 image, restored original setting. 3001 failed each time.

* Unchecked Enable OpenGL Drawing

* Advanced setup: Unchecked Advanced Drawing.

* Advanced setup: Unchecked Color Matching

Next went to the Edit->Color Profile.

Scanned thru options and saw in the Convert Options: Engine. It was set to Adobe (ACE). ACE was the module name in the error detail!

Only other option for this is Microsoft ICM. Changed to that, close/open Photoshop and 3001 came in no problem. So did the Nikon 3000, srgb IEC 61922 2.1 and Untagged. However, when briging in an Adobe RGB(1998) image Photoshop notes Profile Mismatch. It allows me to decide what to do (use embedded profile instead of workspace; convert color to work space color; discard embedded profile. and I choose use the convert color and it loads ok. At least it loads the image! Will use this approach for now. I need to get educated on color profiles!!

Joe

• 13. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                                  Level 7

Ok, so it's an ACE (Adobe Color Engine) bug related to that bad profile. Seems it may be Windows specfic, or maybe processor specific (SSE/2/3 available?) that makes it difficult to reproduce.

But it appears that it is already fixed in Photoshop CS5 and later versions.

• 14. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Chris Cox wrote:

But it appears that it is already fixed in Photoshop CS5 and later versions.

FYI, I can open the files in Photoshop CS4 on Windows.  If it helps narrow things down any, my processors have these features:

Processors.jpg

-Noel

• 15. Re: Unable to load TIF images into Photoshop.
                                      joec925 Level 1

Spent a week at my son's place and no color profile problem with CS3. So the problem does not exist for CS3, CS5 and all other (except mine) CS4 versions. Conclusion: the problem is in the ACE engine on my PC only. No problem with the ICM engine on my PC; thus, will operate ok with this engine. Can now close this topic since not useful to spend any more time on it. Just for academic information my PC characteristics are: HPE-190t; Intel Core i7 CPU x980@ 3.33 GHz 3.33 GHz; RAM=16GB; 64 bit OS; Windows 7 Home Premium w/Service pack 1. Thanks everyone for your help.

Joe