11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 4:13 AM by Grant H

Quick find layer

steenmikkelsen2 Level 1

Hi

1. I have A LOT of layers, and I toggle around to find the right one i shall work with. Is there a Quickway to find a layer, by press on the object on the screen  ?

2. In the Layers Panel - can I switch between unhide and hide layers . Sow if I have the unhide layers ( with an "eye") on my screen, I can switch sow the unhided layer got to be hide and the hide layer got to be unhide. ?

• 1. Re: Quick find layer
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Are you aware of Auto Select on the Options bar when you have the Move tool selected?    It's either very very useful, or a royal PITA depending on what you are trying to do.

• 2. Re: Quick find layer
            steenmikkelsen2 Level 1

Just what I'm looking for - thanks.

• 3. Re: Quick find layer
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Just to expand on Trevor's good answer a bit, keep in mind that even without Auto Select enabled, with the Move Tool selected you can right-click on the image and it will show you a list of layers that are underneath  your cursor.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Quick find layer
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

2. In the Layers Panel - can I switch between unhide and hide layers . Sow if I have the unhide layers ( with an "eye") on my screen, I can switch sow the unhided layer got to be hide and the hide layer got to be unhide. ?

I guess that could be Scripted, if you want to give it a try you could ask for help over at

Photoshop Scripting

• 5. Re: Quick find layer
                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello!

1.You can even select layers without having the move tool selected by doing a Control+Right-click (or Command+Right-Click on a Mac), it will give you a list of all the layers beneath (but will show all groups, wether or not they have content below the cursor)

2. If one layer is hidden, ALT+Click the eye of the hidden layer, to hide it, and show the others.

• 6. Re: Quick find layer
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

If it is about several layers, you could give this a try, it works only on artLayers, though, and leaves groups unaffected.

// hide visible and show invisible art layers; layer groups are exempt;
                    // 2012, use it at your own risk;
                    #target photoshop
                    if (app.documents.length > 0) {
                    changeLayersVisiblty(app.activeDocument);
                    };
                    ////// function collect all layers //////
                    function changeLayersVisiblty (theParent) {
                              for (var m = theParent.layers.length - 1; m >= 0;m--) {
                                        var theLayer = theParent.layers[m];
                                        if (theLayer.typename == "ArtLayer") {
                    // change visibilty of artlayers;
                                                  if (theLayer.visible == true) {theLayer.visible = false}
                                                  else {theLayer.visible = true};
                                                  }
                    // apply the function to layersets;
                                        else {
                                                  changeLayersVisiblty(theLayer)
                                                  }
                                        };
                              };

• 7. Re: Quick find layer

Just a curious question, is there a mechanism that would allow scripts to be added to contextual menus (in an easy way)? If not, I'll feature request it. I feel that they would be more useful if added where we need them, rather than in the file>scripts menu.

• 8. Re: Quick find layer
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

One can trigger the Scripts that are in that folder from a Configurator Panel or contain the Script itself in a Configurator Panel, or assign them Keyboard Shortcuts – but as far as I know the Menus are off-limits for anything beyond the customization allowed in Edit > Menus.

• 9. Re: Quick find layer

Thanks, do you think it would make sense, Christoph, or would it cause more trouble than necessary?

• 10. Re: Quick find layer
                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I think it could be a source of lots of problems and not just programming-wise – so far the menu’s relative unflexibility ascertains that most people can easily navigate any installation; I seem to remember some threads where people where thrown by features hidden via Edit > Menus, so I suppose if people could totally rearrange the menus and add features it might cause even more confusion.

• 11. Re: Quick find layer
                              Grant H Level 4

with the Move Tool selected you can right-click on the image and it will show you a list of layers that are underneath  your cursor.

and then can select the layer you wish to work on etc...

yep... my prefered way... I almost always leave "auto select" unchecked... (especially as the nature with PS work, you zoomed it a lot, dare I mention why auto select not a good option...)

G