11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 4:13 AM by Grant H

Quick find layer

steenmikkelsen2 Level 1

Hi

1. I have A LOT of layers, and I toggle around to find the right one i shall work with. Is there a Quickway to find a layer, by press on the object on the screen  ?

2. In the Layers Panel - can I switch between unhide and hide layers . Sow if I have the unhide layers ( with an "eye") on my screen, I can switch sow the unhided layer got to be hide and the hide layer got to be unhide. ?

• 1. Re: Quick find layer
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Are you aware of Auto Select on the Options bar when you have the Move tool selected?    It's either very very useful, or a royal PITA depending on what you are trying to do.

• 2. Re: Quick find layer
            steenmikkelsen2 Level 1

Just what I'm looking for - thanks.

• 3. Re: Quick find layer
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Just to expand on Trevor's good answer a bit, keep in mind that even without Auto Select enabled, with the Move Tool selected you can right-click on the image and it will show you a list of layers that are underneath  your cursor.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Quick find layer
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

2. In the Layers Panel - can I switch between unhide and hide layers . Sow if I have the unhide layers ( with an "eye") on my screen, I can switch sow the unhided layer got to be hide and the hide layer got to be unhide. ?

I guess that could be Scripted, if you want to give it a try you could ask for help over at

Photoshop Scripting

• 5. Re: Quick find layer
                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello!

1.You can even select layers without having the move tool selected by doing a Control+Right-click (or Command+Right-Click on a Mac), it will give you a list of all the layers beneath (but will show all groups, wether or not they have content below the cursor)

2. If one layer is hidden, ALT+Click the eye of the hidden layer, to hide it, and show the others.

• 6. Re: Quick find layer
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

If it is about several layers, you could give this a try, it works only on artLayers, though, and leaves groups unaffected.

// hide visible and show invisible art layers; layer groups are exempt;
                    // 2012, use it at your own risk;
                    #target photoshop
                    if (app.documents.length > 0) {
                    changeLayersVisiblty(app.activeDocument);
                    };
                    ////// function collect all layers //////
                    function changeLayersVisiblty (theParent) {
                              for (var m = theParent.layers.length - 1; m >= 0;m--) {
                                        var theLayer = theParent.layers[m];
                                        if (theLayer.typename == "ArtLayer") {
                    // change visibilty of artlayers;
                                                  if (theLayer.visible == true) {theLayer.visible = false}
                                                  else {theLayer.visible = true};
                                                  }
                    // apply the function to layersets;
                                        else {
                                                  changeLayersVisiblty(theLayer)
                                                  }
                                        };
                              };

• 7. Re: Quick find layer

Just a curious question, is there a mechanism that would allow scripts to be added to contextual menus (in an easy way)? If not, I'll feature request it. I feel that they would be more useful if added where we need them, rather than in the file>scripts menu.

• 8. Re: Quick find layer
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

One can trigger the Scripts that are in that folder from a Configurator Panel or contain the Script itself in a Configurator Panel, or assign them Keyboard Shortcuts – but as far as I know the Menus are off-limits for anything beyond the customization allowed in Edit > Menus.

• 9. Re: Quick find layer

Thanks, do you think it would make sense, Christoph, or would it cause more trouble than necessary?

• 10. Re: Quick find layer
                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I think it could be a source of lots of problems and not just programming-wise – so far the menu’s relative unflexibility ascertains that most people can easily navigate any installation; I seem to remember some threads where people where thrown by features hidden via Edit > Menus, so I suppose if people could totally rearrange the menus and add features it might cause even more confusion.

• 11. Re: Quick find layer
                              Grant H Level 4

with the Move Tool selected you can right-click on the image and it will show you a list of layers that are underneath  your cursor.

and then can select the layer you wish to work on etc...

yep... my prefered way... I almost always leave "auto select" unchecked... (especially as the nature with PS work, you zoomed it a lot, dare I mention why auto select not a good option...)

G