8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 10:20 PM by sampsonatr1964

Trying to get Data from a classic input field in a movie clip

sampsonatr1964

I’m working on a basic CMS project (for self learning purposes) and I’m stuck on something trying to get data from an input text inside of a movie frame.  The code will work with the homeUpdate_btn on the same level as the home_input_txt.

When I run the (swf) the homeUpdate_btn doesn’t show because it’s on the root level not the parent level. (it’s on the inside of the movie clip with the home_input_txt). 

So if I put the homeUpdate_btn on the parent level (I hope I getting my levels right).  Then the button is not able to get the data of the home_input_txt field that is on the root level.

Let me try this again…you can see the Classic home_input_txt from the parent level (outside the movie clip and make changes), but you can’s see the homeUpdate_btn from that level.  So to see the homeUpdate_btn I.... put it on the parent level.  Now how to I update and get data on the root level from the home_input_txt ....inside the movie clip?  

__________________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________

I think this is the line that the update data is coming from…. which is the input text:    homeEdit_variables.home_body = home_input_txt.htmlText;

Question:  homeUpdate_btn doesn’t show on the inside of movie clip when I run it.

Entire Action Script for "Udate Home Page".  (again inside a movie clip)

stop();

// restrict what characters the user can type into the input text field

home_input_txt.restrict = "A-Za-z 0-9,.?!$&=@_";

// put current homepage data into the input text field for editing

home_input_txt.htmlText = homePageText;

// Assign a variable name for our URLVariables object

var homeEdit_variables:URLVariables = new URLVariables();

//  Build the varSend variable

var homeEdit_varSend:URLRequest = new URLRequest("cms_control_file.php");

homeEdit_varSend.method = URLRequestMethod.POST;

homeEdit_varSend.data = homeEdit_variables;

// Build the varLoader variable

var homeEdit_varLoader:URLLoader = new URLLoader;

homeEdit_varLoader.dataFormat = URLLoaderDataFormat.VARIABLES;

homeEdit_varLoader.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, completeHandler_home_edit);

// Handler for PHP script completion and return

function completeHandler_home_edit(event:Event):void{

gotoAndStop("home");

}

// Add an event listener for the submit button and what function to run

homeUpdate_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, updateHomePage);

// Validate form fields and send the variables when submit button is clicked

function updateHomePage(event:MouseEvent):void{

// Ready the variables for sending

homeEdit_variables.sendRequest = "update_home_page";

homeEdit_variables.home_body = home_input_txt.htmlText;

// Send the data to the php file

homeEdit_varLoader.load(homeEdit_varSend);

}

• 1. Re: Trying to get Data from a classic input field in a movie clip
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

does home_input_txt exist when you click homeUpdate_btn?  ie, it's visible when you click the button?

if yes, is home_input_txt on the parent timeline of the timeline that contains homeUpdate_btn.  if yes, use:

parent.home_input_txt.htmlText

to reference it's htmlText property.  if it's on the parent.parent timeline, use:

parent.parent.home_input_txt.htmlText

etc

• 2. Re: Trying to get Data from a classic input field in a movie clip
            sampsonatr1964 Level 1

The home_input_txt doesn't exist on the same frame when homeupdate_btn is clicked, because the button is outside the movie clip on another frame....in order to see it when running the swf.  so I will try the parent.parent.home_input_txt.htmlText    I will let you know if it works.   Thanks for the help....I really appreciate it :-)

Is there a way to make the home_input_txt visible throughout your swf...so I can reference it and get the update data without parent.parent or is that the only way?  Just curious.  I'm a beginner at action script, but I love it.  I've done html, but it's nothing like Flash.

• 3. Re: Trying to get Data from a classic input field in a movie clip

if home_input_txt no longer exists when that button is clicked, assign a variable to the text value AFTER text is entered into that textfield.  the variable will persist even after the textfield no longer exists:

var home_text:String; 

home_input_txt.addEventListener(Event.CHANGE,changeF)

function changeF(e:Event):void{

home_text= home_input_txt.htmlText; 

}

• 4. Re: Trying to get Data from a classic input field in a movie clip
                sampsonatr1964 Level 1

The action script below (suggested) works..... if the "home_input_txt" is on the same "Timeline" of the "homeUpdate_btn", but I'm needing to retreive the data from the "home_input_txt" that is on another "Timeline" inside of the movie clip.  The "homeUpdate_btn" is on top of the movie clip.

Is there a reason why "home_input_txt" (in the script below) can't be read from another "Timeline" within the "SWF"?

Again I'm a beginner so hopefully I'm saying all of this right :-)

//////////HERE IS THE SUGGESTED SCRIPT

}

• 5. Re: Trying to get Data from a classic input field in a movie clip

yes, so now:

use:

parent.home_text

or if it's on the parent.parent timeline, use:

parent.parent.home_text

etc

• 6. Re: Trying to get Data from a classic input field in a movie clip
                    sampsonatr1964 Level 1

Where would I put the parent.home_text?    Where the in the action script from your suggestion?  

It's giving me this error message each time:  Below when I use the parent.home_text

Error Message:    Symbol 'page 1 edit', Layer 'action', Frame 1, Line 1 1086: Syntax error: expecting semicolon before dot.

______________________________________________________________________________________

var parent.parent.home_text:String; 

parent.parent.home_text= home_input_txt.htmlText; 

}

Sorry I'm not getting it :-(    That's a beginner for you.

• 7. Re: Trying to get Data from a classic input field in a movie clip

////////// use this on the timeline/frame where home_input_txt exists

}

///////// use this where your button exists:

homeUpdate_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, updateHomePage);

// Validate form fields and send the variables when submit button is clicked

function updateHomePage(event:MouseEvent):void{

// Ready the variables for sending

homeEdit_variables.sendRequest = "update_home_page";

homeEdit_variables.home_body = parent.home_txt // or parent.parent.home_txt etc

// Send the data to the php file

homeEdit_varLoader.load(homeEdit_varSend);

}

• 8. Re: Trying to get Data from a classic input field in a movie clip
                        sampsonatr1964 Level 1

I'm getting this error message:

Symbol 'page contents', Layer 'actions', Frame 25, Line 44 1119: Access of possibly undefined property home_input_txt through a reference with static type flash.display:DisplayObjectContainer.

_______________________________________________________________

//////  mc_edit is the name for the movie clip

/////  So I thought I would tell it to find.... the home_input_txt.htmlText....in the movie clip container.

////// I changed the line below in the action script where the button is.

______________________________________________________________________________

homeEdit_variables.home_body = mc_edit.home_input_txt.htmlText

__________________________________________________________________________

it worked :-)

It may not be the right way but it fix the problem giving me a severe headache...LOL

Thanks for all your quick responses.  You have kept me motivated