12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 12:46 PM by Noel Carboni

Help with an upgrade.

Sicafoose

Hello,

i have a registered product in my adobe, it says its adobe photoshop version 9.0, is that version adobe photoshop cs 2? if it is that brings me to my next question, being as it gives me the serial number can i just purchase a upgrade to adobe photoshop cs 5 extended? even though i cant find my box to my old photoshop and dont even have it downloaded except the trial version of cs 5 extended.

• 1. Re: Help with an upgrade.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If you have the serial, then you can upgrade. That's all that is required. The installer will ask for it during install as a secondary serial for a qualifying previous version. PS v9 is CS2, yes.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Help with an upgrade.
            Sicafoose Level 1

woot now i dont have to worry about paying a grand for that darn program thank you

• 3. Re: Help with an upgrade.
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Where did you get your old software?  Should you not have your serial number handy, if you purchased Photoshop CS2 from Adobe directly via download you can still access your purchase information online via the Adobe Store.

And a reminder:  Always back up your installation media and license information.  No doubt you'll need it again in the future.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Help with an upgrade.
                Sicafoose Level 1

My grand father got it for me back in 2006 and i made a adobe account back then, i guess i eneded up registering that program on the site , i quite graphics for a long time and just got back into it, saw that i already had a account with adobe and found out i had a previous version when i was signing up for the thirty day trial

• 5. Re: Help with an upgrade.
                  Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Amen to keeping your License infor somewhere safe.  I try to keep a copy of the installation media on a drive, but I don't worry too much because it is always available from Adobe 'provided you bought direct from the online store'.

But surely the OP is going to fall foul of the new upgrade policy with CS2?  It's not going to give him any discount what so ever with CS6.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15304.html

• 6. Re: Help with an upgrade.
                    pf22 Level 2

Trevor is absolutely right on this one, there is no extended "grace period," if you will, for CS2 users. If Sicafoose is intending to upgrade to CS6 at some point, he will still have to upgrade to CS5 before CS6 is released.

• 7. Re: Help with an upgrade.
                      PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

The idea of a Grace period is to purchase the "old" product (CS5.1 in this case) with a qualifying product, and still get CS6, if within said grace period. So, if there is a grace period for CS6, and CS5 is ordered after announcement, but before shipping, it should allow a CS2>CS6 updgrade. That's how it worked in the past.

I noticed that the links to customer service in that tech note are not working for me, in any language.

• 8. Re: Help with an upgrade.
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

Those are the mechanics, yes. 

I've always felt the "Grace Period" has to be there because software publishers don't announce hard release dates for a variety of reasons, including not wanting to cause sales of the current product to fall through the floor, and also because of their inability to perfectly execute plans, because of unseen contingencies.

So, given no announcement, the publisher must deal with the possibility that someone may be surprised to find out that very shortly after their having paid full price for the current product, BOOM, the next release becomes available.  That could generate bad feelings.  Sure, it's generally their fault for buying right at the end of the release cycle, but the publisher's lack of an announcement of the date for release made it impossible for them to plan carefully.

And so they're given a free upgrade to the newer release.  It's a great solution, really.

Whether Adobe will do this, how long the "grace" period will be, or whether they will make the newer version available for free is anyone's guess. I surely wouldn't count on it happening, though I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

-Noel

• 9. Re: Help with an upgrade.
                          pf22 Level 2

Sorry PECourtejoie, I wasn't particulary clear on my answer. After the firestorm of criticism - we're talking Netflix scale hate-mail here! - that met Adobe's original announcement of their new upgrade policy, they backtracked pretty quickly and said that those on CS3 & 4 will actually have until the end of the year, December 31st 2012, to upgrade directly to CS6, bypassing CS5... of course, no one knows how much that will cost!

That's what I meant by the "extended grace period;" anyone still sitting on CS2 does not have this option, they have to upgrade to CS5 before the actual release of CS6 or they will be locked-out of future upgrades, and will have no option but to purchase the full product again.

And Noel, there will be a grace period for CS6, it will be at least from the announcement of CS6 to its actual release date, a matter of a few weeks at the most. Whether Adobe will extend the grace period to, for instance, 30 days before the announcement, I have no idea, but if you're a studio manager and needed an extra Photoshop seat during March, well, downloading the 30 day trial would be the easiest solution.

• 10. Re: Help with an upgrade.
                            PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

pf22 wrote:

I have no idea, but if you're a studio manager and needed an extra Photoshop seat during March, well, downloading the 30 day trial would be the easiest solution.

If Photoshop is announced according to the plans outlined one year ago, and match day-by-day.

But Paul, I agree, we don't know, given the backtrack if the grace period will encompass CS2, if there will be one similar to the previous releases, etc.

Pierre

• 11. Re: Help with an upgrade.
                              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Out of interest, how much do you all expect to pay for CS6 (if you buy it as a stand alone product)?  I paid NZ$1600 for CS5 which at todays exchange rate is US$1320.  Does that sound right, or do we pay more when buying from outside the US?   I also own Premiere Pro CS5 (NZ$1600), inDesign CS5 (NZ$1000), plus Light Room which I never use,   I ask because because Amazon is shipping Photoshop CS5 for US$643, or is that a discounted price because of CS6 being so close?

• 12. Re: Help with an upgrade.
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

Perhaps I'm not in the situation of those you were hoping to hear from, Trevor, but I expect to pay the typical US $199 price to upgrade my standalone Photoshop CS5 Standard.  It wouldn't surprise me if they pushed the upgrade price up though.  Everything always costs more and takes longer...

-Noel