2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 10:18 AM by jeffward

trace() via stdout instead of log file?

balefrost
      I'm new to Flex. I'm developing on a Mac running 10.5. I discovered the information about mm.cfg, flashlog.txt, and the debug flash player.

I was wondering if it's possible to have trace() send its statements to stdout instead of to a log file. I run the debug player from the command line anyway, so it would be awfully convenient.

On a (possibly) related note, does anybody know what TraceOutputFileEnable in mm.cfg actually does? As far as I can tell, it has no effect on whether or not the logfile is used.
        • 1. Re: trace() via stdout instead of log file?
          balefrost Level 1
          I clobbered together a solution to my problem. I wrote a shell script that does what I want. It's a simple one-liner and, most importantly, does not require that you create a mm.cfg file.

quote:

(path to the debug player)/Flash\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Flash\ Player $* 2>&1

It seems that the debug player actually writes its trace output to stderr, but also apparently redirects stderr to the flashlog.txt file. This script redirects stderr to stdout. I also launch the player by specifying the executable inside the application's container. This has two side effects: it blocks the shell until the player quits, and it allows me to start multiple players.

I hope this was useful to somebody else! Being able to see the output of Flash Player in realtime is really important. If anybody from Adobe reads this, it would be nice for this to be a supported feature in future versions of Flash Player.
          • 2. Re: trace() via stdout instead of log file?
            jeffward Level 1

balefrost wrote:

I clobbered together a solution to my problem. I wrote a shell script that does what I want. It's a simple one-liner and, most importantly, does not require that you create a mm.cfg file.

quote:

(path to the debug player)/Flash\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Flash\ Player $* 2>&1

Sadly this didn't work for me (on Linux, flashplayerdebugger version 11.2.202.285).  I could really use this functionality.