12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 9:36 AM by tupt RSS

Converting .swf to video without losing frames

DR. Silky Community Member

This question has been asked and incorrectly answered a number of times already. Specifically, on an Apple computer, it seems that there is no way to get a video file (.mov, .mpg or any other) out of Flash Pro without severe loss of quality or complete destruction of frame rate.

My .swf files look fantastic, just like they are supposed to. The play at the correct frame rate and all items work as I have set them up. When I go to export it as an .mov or .mpg, the frame rate speeds up and slows down depending on the objects on the screen. I have played with the settings endlessly, knocking the quality down to almost the lowest settings (something I would rather not do after working very hard on my piece) as well as adjusting the frame rate options all over the place to see if anything changed. Nothing. I have read many a forum where Flash creators have the same problems and are tearing their hair out because their work is essentially useless being stuck in Flash.

I know that there are programs that convert .swf files to video very well, some of them cost about $100. Why buy Flash in the first place if you have to buy another, almost equally priced piece of software just to get your content out of Flash? I also know that there are hundreds of free video converters out there for Apples, none of them seem to be able to handle the .swf format, but can do just about everything else. I further know that for windows, there is the free Iwisoft .swf to video converter that works just fine, but does not handle Apple created .swf files when ported across to a PC. How is it that such software is easy and free on a Windows machine, but not a Mac?

I would love it if an Adobe rep could answer some of these questions because I have been all over the web looking for answer to which no one seems to have the right one. Most people can suggest a good video converter that works for them, but they haven't tried it on a .swf file and when the original user tries it, it does not work and the thread dies there. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames
          adninjastrator Community Member

To add another option.... skip the export and conversion process entirely and do a screen capture of the .swf as it plays.... capture will be 100% quality of what is displayed. CamStudio, Windows Media Encoder and other will do a great job of screen capture.

http://camstudio.org/

Yeah... to bad Flash doesn't do a better job, but then that's not really what it's intended for.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 2. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames

I know that video is not what Flash Professional was ORIGINALLY intended for, but there have been so many generations of it since its inception, and so many professionals have used it since to produce video animations that have been broadcast on network television, that it seems a total crime that such a shabby video export has been tacked on to this program instead of giving professionals the tools they actually need when they have paid for them.

To verify your claim of a screen capture, this is exactly what my final process was to get my show into video for prouduction. But really? Is that the best answer? I feel like I am making a bootleg copy of my show by filming it in the back row of a movie theater. I believe there is definitely some compression going on between my .swf and my screen capture, but this is what I must live with I guess.

A better answer would be fantastic, but yes, this begrudgingly works. It works the same way that using a microphone to record songs from your favorite radio station works.

• 3. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames
              kayumarz Community Member

In order to convert swf files to video, you may want to try Flash-Banner-Converter.com (Flabaco for short).  It's a free online converter - so you can use it from a MAC / Win machine / Linux.

It preserves the quality pretty well and shouldn't destruct frame rates. It will have disadvantages because it's yet in Beta but it provides support.  As of now, generated video is in mp4, webm and ogg formats - These formats are used for compatibility with popular HTML5 devices.  Atleast one of these formats will play on all popular HTML 5 compatable browsers / mobile devices.

• 4. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames

Tried this yesterday in fact. I imagine it works well with smaller files, like Flash banner ads. I have 4 minutes of animation that I would like to convert to video for presenting and to put onto DVD. When I tried this website, I let it run for about three hours and nothing came as a result. Thanks for the help though. There has to be a better way.

• 5. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames
                  johndwight Community Member

Have you tried the mac swf to video converter from doremisoft?

http://www.soft4portable.com/products/swf-to-video-converter-for-mac.html

It works good on my Macbook Air.

• 6. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames

I have not tried this specific software. It costs $100 and I'm sure it does what it says. I will probably end up buying this, thank you for the recommendation. It just kinda sucks that if you own a mac, you have to pay an extra hundred dollars for something that is free for windows. Such is life. Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames

@DR. Silky - I reviewed the converter logs at approximately the time you must have tried the conversion.  As you guessed Flabaco was designed for shorter length animations but it can handle longer animations - It just requires more time and server resources.

I've forced the conversion for your swf file (I assume I got the correct swf) and it should now be converted.

This conversion required manual intervention but if there are users for such requirements, I'd like to make such conversions possible.

To download the converted videos, goto www.flash-banner-converter/converter using the same browser you used. As long as the browser cache wasn't cleared  - or - as long as the Start Again button wasn't clicked, you will see the converted videos.

If you are unable to see the  videos mail me the swf filename and I'll send you a direct link. (use the email address mentioned on the support page as you might not want your content exposed on a public forum)

The videos are in 3 formats - webm, mp4 and ogv.  The quality of each of these videos might differ and you can choose the one that suits you best.

Note: The conversion token / serial number was R1328993157691***_*****_****. You'll see this number on the converter page (but not the home page). (If you see a different number it means I've forced the conversion of the wrong swf.)

Would be glad to help with any more conversions you have - after all its an opportunity for Flabaco to improve and become more useful.

Kayo.

Flabaco (Flash Banner Converter).

• 8. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames

@kayumarz

Wow, you are all kinds of awesome. I will check to see if my video is there tonight, and I will contact you about it either way. Thanks for the personal treatment.

I think you could definitely find interested participants in larger file conversions. This is a problem with Flash that you will find all over the internet in Flash forums, adobe forums, AV forums, just about anywhere people converse about creating content. I like to think that I am someone that does his homework, and I am pretty sure there are many people in my boat that have used many many ridiculous work arounds to get these kinds of results.

I will let you know tonight how this goes, but thanks again for taking notice.

Silky

• 9. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames
                          johndwight Community Member

It's a surprise: this site has published a 20% OFF coupon code for valentine's day

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/soft4portable.com

• 10. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames

@kayumarz

It worked! And beautifully at that.

Is it too much to ask for sound as well? I assume that is so, but that's fine. I need to put this together with another part of the video in Final Cut anyway and I can just export the sound as a track and place it over the video. Even that is miles and miles ahead of everything else I have seen. Thanks again for your help this is amazing, I think you could have quite a market for video conversion outside of just banner ads.

• 11. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames

@DR. Silky  Flabaco will get sound support in the future. (All updates are posted on twitter @flabaco)

Flabaco started out targeting swf to video conversion (creating video compatible with popular HTML 5 browsers) for Flash Banner Ads and Flash Intros. But it can handle longer duration, professional level conversions as well. Such conversions would, consume greater server resources and take longer time to convert. As of the current Beta version, the longer / high quality conversions require manual intervention.  You can reach me for such intervention via Flabaco's support page.

Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad to know it works well !

Kayo

Flabaco ( Flash-Banner-Converter )

• 12. Re: Converting .swf to video without losing frames
                                tupt Community Member

I know that video is not what Flash Professional was ORIGINALLY intended for, but there have been so many generations of it since its inception, and so many professionals have used it since to produce video animations that have been broadcast on network television, that it seems a total crime that such a shabby video export has been tacked on to this program instead of giving professionals the tools they actually need when they have paid for them.

-----------------------------------

Admin at http://webscp.com/