4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 8:38 AM by the_wine_snob

PrE10 VTS_VOB issue

L Bob

I know you get this question a lot but I'm new to PrE10 and I can't seem to import my VTS_VOB files. Do I need to convert them to DV_AVI first?

Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: PrE10 VTS_VOB issue
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Back on the main page, did you click on the FAQ and Tips sub-forums on the right side?

Also, read

Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549

Edit Vob http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_import_VOB_files_/_edit_a_DVD%3F

• 2. Re: PrE10 VTS_VOB issue
            VDOSurfer Level 3

PrE10 supports importing VOB files. I suggest copy the VOB file(s) from the DVD onto the Hard disk and then import into PrE10. You do not NEED to convert it before importing. It used to be, with earlier versions of PrE and PrPro, but not anymore.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PrE10 VTS_VOB issue
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

But, if you do want to edit a DVD file in Premiere Elements, make sure that, when you set up your project, you select the project settings for a Hard Disk Camcorder -- NOT the DV project settings.

If you don't do this, your final video output will look fluttery or jittery, due to the conflict in frame interlacing.

• 4. Re: PrE10 VTS_VOB issue
                the_wine_snob Level 9

VDOSurfer,

This will work perfectly (if one follows Steve's suggestion), so long as the VOB's were created to be 100% DVD-compliant. Unfortunately, most DVR's, and many authoring apps., do not create 100% DVD-compliant VOB's, and especially for the first VOB, which also contains any navigation and Menus. Often, one will easily Import all BUT that first VOB easily, but then have trouble with it. The reason is that the device, or app. did NOT produce that first VOB, with the navigation and Menu, as a 100% DVD-compliant VOB. In those cases, ripping that first VOB, to strip out the MPEG-2DV file, is the best course of action.

If the DVD was produced/authoring by a program, like PrE, or Encore, then there should be zero problems Importing the VOB's. If it came from a DVR, or much other software out there, then all bets are off, especially that first VOB.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt