5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 3:34 PM by Noel Carboni

ACR 6.x with Photoshop Macintosh vs. Photoshop Windows ?

Any thoughts or preferences on using ACR 6.x with Photoshop Macintosh or Photoshop Windows?

I need to buy an update from CS4 for either Macintosh or Windows version of the application.

Unfortunately, either one will be used on a laptop, just for ACR.  My main desktop machines are legacy Power Mac G5 Quads, and I have legitimate Photoshop licenses for both Mac and Windows and own a MacBook and a Windows Vista laptop.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

• 1. Re: ACR 6.x with Photoshop Macintosh vs. Photoshop Windows ?
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd be much more concerned with the machine specifics - quality of the display, video card, overall machine performance, that sort of thing. If you want to compare the two laptops, pick the important criteria. Platform is irrelevant.

• 2. Re: ACR 6.x with Photoshop Macintosh vs. Photoshop Windows ?
            Level 1

Sorry if my low regard for both laptops didn't adequately come through in the original post.  None of the two laptops in question is anything other than the most basic, most affordable machine for each platform.  The MacBook is the bottom of the line running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, the Toshiba laptop an economy Satellite A205-S5825 model running Vista.

I don't expect anything near stellar performance from either one.  I'll move the converted PSDs or TIFFs over to CS4 on a worthy desktop Mac, on which Cs 5.x does not run, for further editing.

This is to say, I want to know if there are any platform-specific issues in ACR I should take into consideration under these circumstances.  Any features absent or stronger in one platform but not the other?  If not, that's fine, that's good information to have.

Thank you for your interest.

• 3. Re: ACR 6.x with Photoshop Macintosh vs. Photoshop Windows ?
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, my conclusion is the same: platform is irrelevant. Given similar hardware, PS/ACR will behave and perform identically.

The weakest point in any laptop is the display. Pick the least crappy one

• 4. Re: ACR 6.x with Photoshop Macintosh vs. Photoshop Windows ?
                Level 1

D Fosse wrote:

…The weakest point in any laptop is the display. Pick the least crappy one

That's sound advice I couldn't possibly argue with.  Thanks, I'll do just that.  

• 5. Re: ACR 6.x with Photoshop Macintosh vs. Photoshop Windows ?
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

My personal 2 cents worth:

Some years ago I bought a Dell laptop for my son.  It was a top of the line $3K+ model, and from being DOA right out of the box when it arrived it never gave us anything but trouble.  Virtually every part in the thing except the case was replaced at least once by Dell under their extended warranty (glad I bought that!).  Hard drive failure after hard drive failure, motherboard failures, bad connectors, bad display...  The list goes on and on.  He never abused the thing - it just sat on his desk.

Then we bought him a Macbook.  Not a pro model, nothing special, just a $1200 model, because he liked it.  That was 4 years ago.  He's still using it in college.

That Macbook has now gone 4 years with exactly ONE fault:  The power supply cord frayed at the connector, and the power supply had to be replaced, which the Apple Store did immediately under AppleCare, no questions asked.

If I ever buy another laptop it will be an Apple, even if I plan to run Windows on it.

-Noel