6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 12:51 PM by Bo LeBeau

CS2: Picking up styles with text tool like you could in quark

Markusclayus

Hi all,

In quark I used to be able, while in text tool, to highlight some text and then apply style sheets from other text boxes by alt-shift clicking on the relevant text, the highlighted text would 'pick-up' from other paragraphs or text boxes. Is there anything like this on indesign? I should add I am using CS2 so am happy to accept my version might be too jurassic for this. : )

Thanks

Marko

• 1. Re: CS2: Picking up styles with text tool like you could in quark
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Quite frankly, that’s what styles are for, but you can do this using the eyedropper tool. Double click the tool to select the attributes you want copied.

Bob

• 2. Re: CS2: Picking up styles with text tool like you could in quark
            Markusclayus Level 1

Thanks Bob, you're saying you can't do this without leaving text tool and going to either style sheet menus or eyedropper?

It was just a very quick shortcut, you wanted something in red italic? you highlighted the word and bam, quickly pick up from that piece of text just above that you know is in the right character style. Fingers off the alt-shift and you're still in text tool and can carry on with whatever else you needed to be doing.

Still hoping there an equivalent.

Mark

• 3. Re: CS2: Picking up styles with text tool like you could in quark
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Again, that’s what styles are for. Create a character style, assign short cut to it, select the text and bam.

BTW, all of this is much easier to do with CS5.5. You’re on your last legs for upgrade pricing. When CS6 comes out you’re looking at full price or Creative Cloud.

Bob

• 4. Re: CS2: Picking up styles with text tool like you could in quark
                Markusclayus Level 1

Thanks for the ideas Bob, sounds like I will have to adapt to a different way of working. Just re-read my posting and I should have said, the shortcut still needed you to have style-sheeted the text you were picking up from, it just saved back and forth between menus/tools

Re: CS5 Am very skint so won't be upgrading anytime soon, also I had a go at the trial and it slowed my machine to a crawl. this hardware/software upgrade ping pong is not for the lone occaisional users. Too expensive.

Best

Mark

• 5. Re: CS2: Picking up styles with text tool like you could in quark
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is this specific text that you always want to have that style applied to or does it match some sort of pattern? You might find InDesign's nested styles or GREP styles to be useful.

• 6. Re: CS2: Picking up styles with text tool like you could in quark
                    Bo LeBeau Level 4

The eyedropper in Indesign is an eyedropper on steroids.

You can click on objects, not just text to get the attributes and then apply the attributes to a new object or text.

To pick up the attributes, select the item, (you should have a white eyedropper angled to the left, if it is part black and angled to the right, this means that it already had attributes; to delete the current attributes hold down the Option key on Mac, Alt key on Windows to get the empty eyedropper)

Pick up the attributes you want to copy, the eyedropper changes to a filled eyedropper, move to the item you want to change and click (or click and drag to change selected text)

If you click on the eyedropper icon to the Tool box you can adjust the attributes you want to select.

Click the arrows to the left and you had access to 55 different attributes for Character, Paragraph, Stroke, Fill or Object settings that you can turn on or off.

While 55 seems like overkill, in general use you probably won't need to change the settings that often.

Try it, you'll like it!

eyedropper.jpg