10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 2:38 PM by esn ferrol

Complex Rotation Animation

esn ferrol

Hello to everyone,

This is my first time here in the forum.

I have recentyl started using after effects and I am very surprised at how easy it is to create animation & effects with it.

My question is about a rotation animation I have come across.

Particularly, although I thought it was easy, I am not able to recreate the rotation of the icons at approximately 40sec of

this bluefx video. When the main icon explodes they all start to make a rotation animation around their vertical axis.

However, I cannot recreate it with simple rotations.

I have seen this animation in other videos as well, so I believe that there must be some kind of a technique (like a design

pattern) for it.

I have tried using the combination of a null object controlling a camera and setting the object to be rotated to "orient towards

camera". I see the animation in the RAM preview through another camera of the composition. However, when I render it the

animation does not show because the active camera is the one moving. And it is moving in order for the object to follow it. So,

the animation cannot be rendered.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out with this. Ideas, known techinques, anything.

Thanks a lot!

• 1. Re: Complex Rotation Animation
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This is pretty clearly done in a 3D program and it even says so in the accompanying text. The rest sounds confusing. Not sure how you even came up with your idea of making matters complicated with cameras. All you will ever need is 3D layers and/or effects like Card Dance. There may be someone selling a template for that somewhere, but this can be pretty much all be done out of the box in AE. It will just take a moment to set it up. So what specifically is giving you trouble?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Complex Rotation Animation
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Setting up the rotation isn't hard, it's the distributing the layers in 3D space. There's a script for that. Look Here. After your rotation is animated and applied to each layer simply put the layers all in the same position, move down the timeline, then apply the script in the link.

• 3. Re: Complex Rotation Animation
              esn ferrol Level 1

Hello and thanks for the quick answers.

What I am having trouble with is recreating the rotation. I cannot do that only by animating XYZ.

Could you, please, elaborate a little more on that? Do you mean that I can use the card dance for that or to use it after I have made the animation.

• 4. Re: Complex Rotation Animation

The rotation is just x y and z at different speeds. Something like rotate in x about 80 then slowly on to 360 or back to zero while rotating in z about five turns while rotating in y slightly to introduce a slight wobble. To exactly duplicate the movement step through the movie a frame at a time and just look at and count the rotation in a single axis at a time. It's too hard to do this on my phone so I'm guessing.

AE's 3D layers aren't going to give you the same look because they are only one pixel thick. You can stack a bunch of them up using a simple expression to add 1pixel to the z depth.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Complex Rotation Animation
                  esn ferrol Level 1

Thank you very much.

I don't worry about depth because the rotating object is made in Photoshop Extended and I rotate its controller layer.

• 6. Re: Complex Rotation Animation
                    esn ferrol Level 1

Could it be that it is an orientation animation?

• 7. Re: Complex Rotation Animation

Not likely. You can't spin multiple revolutions with orientation. You could use orientation and z. 

• 8. Re: Complex Rotation Animation
                        esn ferrol Level 1

Can I adjust the rotation somehow so that it takes into account the world axes and not the local ones?

• 9. Re: Complex Rotation Animation

I'm not sure I follow you. Rotation values are always based on the x, y, and z planes of the layer. You can change the way the rotation tool (w) effects these numbers by selecting Local, World, or View axis modes or by picking Rotation or Orientation in the tool bar.

Screen Shot 2012-02-12 at 7.38.45 PM.png

I usually do all of my rotation manipulation in the timeline.

Taking a closer look at the animation on my computer it looks like you can duplicate it with z and x rotation only. It just takes 3 keyframes for x and 2 for z with a little graph editor tweaking.

• 10. Re: Complex Rotation Animation
                            esn ferrol Level 1

Thank you very much for the time you've taken to answer my questions.

I ended up keyframing the orientation at ordinary intervals (e.g., every 10 frames). It is so cumbersome as it sounds but the result looks pretty similar to the original.

Thanks again for your time.