5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 2:06 PM by Sparkle101

Printing Raw images

Sparkle101 Level 1

When I open an image from Camera Raw into PE6 it comes in as a 9.9x6.6 240 dpi image.  I print my images at 300 dpi and up to 8.5x11.  Can I do this successfully with a Raw file image?

• 1. Re: Printing Raw images

That works out approximately to a 1643 x 2465 pixels image capture from a 4 MP camera, not large by today standards.  Is that the largest image size at which your camera can record images natively?  Or are you using a reduced size to record the raw images? That's assuming you're not using a smaller output size in your Camera Raw Workflow Options.

To print an 8.5" x 11" at 300 dpi, you'd need a 2550 pixel by 3300 pixel image file from an 8.5 MP pixel camera.

You're going to have to resample upwards in ACR (assuming ACR in Photoshop Elements allows it) or in Photoshop Elements itself.

• 2. Re: Printing Raw images
            Sparkle101 Level 1

You are right on.  I am just starting to shoot in Raw and had my Cannon 50D set at SRaw2, which is the smallest format.  Thank you!

• 3. Re: Printing Raw images
              Sparkle101 Level 1

You are right on!  I have just begun shooting in Raw format and had my Canon set to SRaw2, the smallest of 3 Raw formats.  Thank you!

• 4. Re: Printing Raw images
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

Sparkle101 wrote:

I have just begun shooting in Raw format and had my Canon set to SRaw2, the smallest of 3 Raw formats.

Just so you know, sRAW can be a problem...when you shoot sRAW, the Canon camera does a downsampling that can be, uh, perhaps less than optimal? Unless you have a real compelling reason, shooting sRAW for long term use and printing is not an optimal answer...high capacity cards are cheap and if you are concerned it disk sptroage of the raw, again HDs are cheap compared...if you really care about your images and want to print at optimal print sized, you should seriously consider using the full size raw files.