6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 2:30 PM by lilia@

Underlining superscript

lilia@ Level 2

Details:

XP / IDCS5.5 / v7.5

Snapshot:

ScreenShot.jpg

Question:

Why does Superscript break an underline style, why does it not continue?

I've tested it various ways and the underline seems to break before and after those characters.

Lilia

• 1. Re: Underlining superscript
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Superscript and and Underline are both character-level attributes. If yiou cahnge the size or position of the character, the underline is going to go along for the ride.

Can you do what you want with a paragraph rule?  If not, maybe an anchored object?

• 2. Re: Underlining superscript
            lilia@ Level 2

Of course there are plenty of other ways... but I wanted to know why this way wasn't doing what I thought it should.

I didn't physically change anything except press the Superscript button. It should make allowances for that I think.

PS... You can do some funky things will underline, above and below paragraph rules at the same time There is a stacking order to them.

• 3. Re: Underlining superscript
              winterm Level 4

hi,

just supposin'...

it's something with internal ID maths. Superscript is rather artificial , I think ID just "scales" regular symbol, so you get this side effect.

Notice, it won't happen if you use Superscript as Open Type feature (not just pushing button in Control panel). Usually it's possible for numbers only? (not sure, didn't dig in it deeply).

In other words, everything that present in fonts glyphs, works well. If not, ID just try "mimic" it for you, not always with satisfactory results...

You get what you get.

Hope I was clear enough, sorry for my English, it's not my native nor everyday use...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Underlining superscript
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm curious why you think a character adornment (that's technically what an underline is) would behave differntly from the character to which it is attached. Would you also expect a strikethrough not to change?

The superscript button scales the type and applies baseline shift.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Underlining superscript
                  winterm Level 4

Peter Spier wrote:

The superscript button scales the type and applies baseline shift.

Yes, I've tried to say that

But, again, Peter, "open type" superscript works exactly as lilia wants!

downside - choice of chars is limited.

• 6. Re: Underlining superscript
                    lilia@ Level 2

I guess I never really put much thought into it before... but you both (winterm and Peter) have certainly given me food for thought.

Much appreaciated. Cheers