4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 7:03 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements constantly crashes

can't stop filming Level 1

I have a Dell XPS 8300 computer with the following:

Windows 7

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz 3.4GHz

Installed memory (RAM) 8.00GB

System type 64 bit Operating system

The computer is brand new and I purchased Premiere Elements 10 with it. When working on video projects using files uploaded from my Canon VIXIA HF R10 video camera, PE 10 just closes after a few minutes.

I don't see any particular operation that I am doing that causes it to close, but it is happening all of the time.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Adam

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements constantly crashes
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your project setting, and do you see a red line over the timeline BEFORE you do anything to the video

If you import video to a project and there is an immediate red line, you have the wrong project setting

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements constantly crashes
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I would start with John T's questions, and then move to this ARTICLE. It starts with a checklist to get PrE working best, and then goes to tuneup tips for the computer and the OS. Finally, it provides links to troubleshoot, working up in "degree of difficulty."

If your computer was purchased, rather than built by scratch, it is very likely filled with tons of bloatware, that gets in the way, when doing video editing. For that, see the Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine article link in part 2. Also, it is very likely that your OS is in bad need of a tune up, as most mfgrs. go with a highly generic configuration, and many of the settings actually hinder performance.

Also, unless you have gone to the mfrg's. Web site, your video and audio drivers are probably 6- 12 mos. out of date. Do not trust Windows to tell you if you have the latest - check the mfgr's. Web site. If you have a Dell, HP, Lenovo, or similar, then stop by their Web site first, as many will tweak those drivers.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements constantly crashes
              can't stop filming Level 1

Hi Bill. Thank you for your feedback. I am a little confused if your reply was supposed to contain a link to an ARTICLE with the PrE tuneup tips, etc. If so, I don't see one. Sorry, I'm new to this sort of thing. I appreciate your feedback.

Also, it appears that there is no red timeline before working on a video as suggested by John. After experiminting with PrE, it appears to let me know that the project setting is wrong and asks me if I want to fix it? It then corrects the setting.

I will check the Dell website for updated drivers as well. Thanks again for your help!

Adam

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements constantly crashes
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

Yes it was. I didn't even get the Bold done, when the phone rang. HERE is the link to that article.

Sorry about that, and one can easily see who cannot multi-task...

Hunt