5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 6:44 PM by John Hawkinson

Force Quit resets preferences and presets in InDesign 5.5

julia2103

I just installed InDesign 5.5 awhile back and got all my printer presets and general preferences set up. I began to notice when I "force quit" the program they all disappear (or return to the default) and it is a hassle to reset everything especially all the printer presets. I've stopped quiting the program through "force quit", but still on a occassion when the program freezes then I occassionally have to "force quit". I didn't have this problem with the previous verson of InDesign. What can I do to keep my preferences and printer presets from resetting after a "force quit"

• 1. Re: Force Quit resets preferences and presets in InDesign 5.5
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Why were you Force Quitting, anyhow?

Generally changes are not saved until the program exits cleanly.

Are you saying that if you

1. Open InDesign

2. Set up your preferences

3. Quit InDesign

4. Open InDesign

5. Check and confirm your preferences remain

6. Force Quit InDesign

7. Open InDesign

then you will find your preferences are not as you left them in steps 2 and 5?

If so, that is abnoral behavior.

• 2. Re: Force Quit resets preferences and presets in InDesign 5.5
            Divster Level 1

If you can't find another solution you could try the applescript below. I use it to roll out user settings in the studio, but it is also useful for very quickly replacing corrupt prefs files. It will overwrite whatever is there.

# Indesign CS5.5 preferences

set sourcePrefsFolder to POSIX file "/Volumes/Server/Folder/Folder/Etc" -- change this to your source folder

set destPrefsFolder to (path to preferences folder from user domain as text) & "Adobe InDesign:"

set checkDestPrefsFolder to existsItem(destPrefsFolder)

-- checks the existence of the preference folder – this will not be there if InDesign has never been started

-- if it's not there it creates one

if checkDestPrefsFolder is equal to false then -- i.e. the User's InDesign prefs folder is not present

tell application "Finder"

make new folder at (path to preferences folder from user domain as text) with properties {name:"Adobe InDesign"}

duplicate sourcePrefsFolder to destPrefsFolder with replacing

end tell

else

tell application "Finder"

duplicate sourcePrefsFolder to destPrefsFolder with replacing

end tell

end if

-- handler to check for existence of an item

on existsItem(itemToTest)

try

itemToTest as alias

set myBoolean to true

on error

set myBoolean to false

end try

return myBoolean

end existsItem

• 3. Re: Force Quit resets preferences and presets in InDesign 5.5
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Wow, divster, that's kind of insanely complicated. If written as a shell script (instead of AppleScript) it would be:

#!/bin/sh
              sourcePrefs=/Volumes/Server/Folder/Folder/Etc # change to your source folder
              destPrefs="~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign"
              mkdir -p "$destPrefs" # Create destination prefs folder if it does not exist
              cp -rp "$sourcePrefs" "$destPrefs"

Hmm...

• 4. Re: Force Quit resets preferences and presets in InDesign 5.5
                Divster Level 1

Hi John

It's not the first time something I've constructed has been referred to as insane!

Does your line mkdir overwrite a folder if one is there already?

Can a user run a shell script by double clicking an icon, or running it out of a scripts menu?

I probably could have written my Applescript better but one of the advantages of it is that it is fairly readily understandable by the layman (myself included). Having said that I would be happy to learn some shell script. Any good resources?

Sorry if this is getting a bit off topic.

• 5. Re: Force Quit resets preferences and presets in InDesign 5.5
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, "insane" sounds a bit pejorative. I hoped "insanely complicated" was nicer...

mkdir does not overwrite the folder. It does nothing if it exists, and creates the folder otherwise. (Without -p, it would give an error in the event the directory existed).

Can a user run a shell script by double clicking an icon, or running it out of a scripts menu?

If you name it with the .command extension, it will launch Terminal.app and run it there.

Scripts menu? Well, you'd have to put it inside an AppleScript "do shell script" I guess.