3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 9:42 AM by rowby

CS5 Starting to "Not Responding" in one project

rowby Level 1

Using CS5

As I near completion of a project I am getting more "Not responding" messages.

In testing this, I find I am getting this "Not responding" messages only in the one project. 

To fix this I have a few quesetions.

how

I have a fast raid, but should I move the Scratch disks to a separate non-raid drive?  I tried doing this in the project settings for all media, making it all custom to a separate drive.   When I looked a the drive I see the "Adobe PRemiere PRo Preview Files" folder and the sub folder for the project -- but no files at all are in it.  

Also, would it help if I broke my project into separate sequences?  At the moment I have one sequence (it's 11 minutes long).  IF it would improve performance, what might be the best way to go about now, after the face, to devide the video into separate sequences.   The way the video is structured, I could devide it into, say 4 sequences without much problem. 

And then I suppose I could make a main sequence that will pull in the individual sequences?

I'm rambling a bit here, but, in case you're wondering I have gone into Windows System (Windows 7) and under the advanced settings I optimized my settings for performance rather than appearance.

I have an areca raid card   I checked and the raid is healthy  Raid3   My  Areca ARC-1880ix

One Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache  SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

four SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200  RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s  3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Maybe I need to add a couple of hard drives to my raid to give it a better performance?

Any other suggestions, or comments about fixing this "Not Responding" issue this particular project?  

Thanks

Rowby

• 1. Re: CS5 Starting to "Not Responding" in one project
          rowby Level 1

Well, here is how I think I have "fixed" it.

I decided I needed to nest my sequences.  Instead of one big sequence, I am going to have multiple sequences and nest them.

To get around my "not responding message" I was able to keep the project working long enough to use the Project Manager to move the project ot a different folder and to trim the project.

Now, in the new location, I am creating three sequences -- by copying and pasting from the main sequence. 

Then, tomorrow, I will nest them together. 

Did some tests and already I am seeing an improvement in performance.

Rowby

• 2. Re: CS5 Starting to "Not Responding" in one project
            JEShort01 Level 4

Are you defragmenting regularly? Copying a project to a new spot on the drive will create a new set of files that is not fragmented and would perform much better than the original files (if fragmented badly).

Jim

• 3. Re: CS5 Starting to "Not Responding" in one project
              rowby Level 1

Hi

Yes, I do defragment regularly. And that was one of the first things I did when I had the performance problem. I like using Auslogics defragmenter -- it's extremely faster than the Windows defragmenter.

The good news is all is fine now that I use the Management program to move the project to a new folder (using the trim feature) and then deviding the project into three sequences.  It's back to easy fast, editing as before --with no more "Not responding" messages.

Using the project manager also seems to get rid of lots of junk.

Rowby