9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2012 6:30 PM by Jaroneko

Premiere Pro Mac - VST & Audio Unit Support - Something is wrong....

AtonMusic Level 2

I run PPRO on Mac Lion.

I AM aware of the fact that PPRO is a 64 bit application.

Adobe does NOT seem to be aware of the fact that most audio plugs are 32 bit.

Reason for this is that there is very little need for a simple Compressor or EQ to be able to address more than 2GB of RAM ;-)

So most professional DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) which are 64 bit IMPLEMENTS a bridge that allows the app to use 32 bit Audio Effects.

I own and operate a recording studio and beta test for a lot of VST/AudioUnit vendors. None of them (the important ones) are planning 64 bit, anytime soon.

So either I am missing the obvios and I CAN use 32 bit VST/Audio Units in PPRO on Mac ---- Or adobe needs to address this ASAP.

If not, well anyone relying on audio effects will have to NOT edit his audio in PPRO ????

I hope I am missing the totally obvious, I mean, ALL other NLEs have GREAT solutions for Audio Effects - In PPRO I am confined to the adobe audio effects which are not really on par with professional audio plugs.

Any advise would be nice....

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro Mac - VST & Audio Unit Support - Something is wrong....
          AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Harm,

yes audition works with AU & VSTs...

But I want to apply the effects while in PPRO. NOT skip back and forth 'tween the apps;

Would be like having to switch to AE to apply a curve for White Balance... ;-)

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro Mac - VST & Audio Unit Support - Something is wrong....
            Jim Curtis Level 3

This is from page 326 of the PrCS5 user guide:

"

Premiere Pro supports the Steinberg VST (Virtual Studio Technology) audio plug-in format so that you can add VST audio effects from third-party vendors. Premiere Pro includes VST plug-in effects that are available in both the Audio Mixer and the Effect Controls panel. Track-based VST plug-ins may provide additional controls. Apply VST effects the same way you apply other audio effects to tracks or clips.In the Effects And Sends panels of the Audio Mixer, VST effects appear in the Effect Selection menus. In the Effects panel, they appear in the Audio Effects bin so you can apply them to individual clips. In most cases, VST effects appear in the Audio Effects bin and track type that corresponds to the number of channels the effect supports. For example, stereo VST effects appear in the Audio Mixer track effect menus for stereo tracks only, and in the Stereo bin in the Audio Effects bin in the Effects panel. After you apply any VST effect, you can open a window with all of its controls. You can leave multiple VST editor windows open as long as you want, such as when automating effects, but Premiere Pro closes all VST editor windows when you close the project.If you previously installed a VST-compatible application other than Premiere Pro, Premiere Pro finds VST effects in the VST folder that already exists. Inside the Plug-ins folder of the Premiere Pro application folder, there is also a VSTPlugins folder with plug-ins that are used only by Premiere Pro.

"

However, I have never gotten my VST effects to even show up in Pr Mac.  They do work in Au (also FCP, STP and MOTU DP), so I conclude it's a bug, or an undocumented and/or unavowed disimplementation.

I wish they did work, because I like to us PSP Vintage Warmer on VO tracks.  I've learned to get by with the Multiband Compressor, or send to Audition.

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Premiere Pro Mac - VST & Audio Unit Support - Something is wrong....
              AtonMusic Level 2

Hey Jim,

thanks for chiming in...

Yeah, I've read that page too. But nevetheless, ONLY adobe effects are appearing as choices.

I take that the reason is that PPRO is 64bit. And the VSTs are 32 bit.

As said, professional applications offer a 32-64 effects bridge.

Adobe Audition too. At least there I can add my AU and VST effects.

Perhaps another good example of adobe's departments NOT communicating inter-company-wise.

Really Sad.

Lightroom department SHOULD be communicating with Premiere Department then we would have video features that

actually make sense and if latter department communicated with the Audition Crew we'd have 'almost' pro features in PPRO.

So much latent potential in adobe. If they would leverage inter-department knowledge.. They would REALLY strive !

Aside from that the manual (user guide) is seriously in need of some iin depth information.

Lots of stuff is great whereas about 25% resembles the expression-capabilities of a 2nd grader

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro Mac - VST & Audio Unit Support - Something is wrong....
                Jim Curtis Level 3

AM, you are probably onto something there.  Before I just checked this out, I assumed that Au was 64-bit, like the other CS5 apps.  It's not.  Au is 32-bit, just like the other apps I mentioned that are able to access my VST plugs.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro Mac - VST & Audio Unit Support - Something is wrong....
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

That is the exact reason I mentioned Audition. AU is indeed 32 bit and has no problems with 32 bit VST's, but PR, being 64 bit, needs a bridge or 64 bit VST's. And EN is 32 bit as well, like many other applications from the Master Collection.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro Mac - VST & Audio Unit Support - Something is wrong....
                    AtonMusic Level 2

Harm,

AU (AudioUnit) is NOT confined to being 32bit... There ARE 64 bit audio unit plug-ins.

Just stating this so that folks wont think that AU isn't capable of 64 bit. Because they are ;-)

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro Mac - VST & Audio Unit Support - Something is wrong....
                      Sergio Fucchi

Hi. I have Pr CS6 and Wave-Lab 7 64-bit. Can I use vst3 plug-ins from my WL into Pr CS6 and how can I do it?

Thanks

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro Mac - VST & Audio Unit Support - Something is wrong....
                        Jaroneko

Old topic, yes, but just to make sure new readers don't get confused; Au was used earlier to refer to Adobe Audition, which Adobe concatenate as Au. Audition is 32bit as mentioned and for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. Audio Unit plugins can obviously be 64bit as well, but that was not what was talked about.