10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 12:40 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files

juliemiller24@yahoo.com

When I upgraded my camera for one with greater resolution, I had to upgrade to CS5.  If I purchase a new camera with a resolution of 36 million pixels, will CS5 be able to cope?

• 1. Re: Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files
          Grant H Level 4

If I purchase a new camera with a resolution of 36 million pixels, will CS5 be able to cope?

yes, its more your hardware the issue.

PS can "process" (max canvas ) 900 000 000 ( 900 million) pixels

G

• 2. Re: Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

When I upgraded my camera for one with greater resolution, I had to upgrade to CS5.

I doubt the validity of that reasoning; the previous Camera Raw-versions may have failed to process the Raw-files, but the resolution is, like Grant mentioned, hardly an issue.

Also you may not want to use an email-adress as a name on a Forum.

• 3. Re: Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files
              PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Julie, Unless Nikon sent raw files to the Camera Raw team, I doubt seriously that ACR 6.6 would be able to open those files.

We don't know if there will be a ACR 6.7 or not, and again, Adobe needs some time to support a new camera.

Usually camera support appears in the quarter that follows the availability of a Camera.

According to many reports only the next version of Photoshop is supposed to appear around April-May.

And normally, the camera raw updates for the previous version of Photoshop ends with the release of a new Photoshop.

So, according to this pattern, you will have two solutions:

1) upgrade to the newer version of Photoshop that will host a Camera Raw version that supports the D800

2) Use the DNG converter that will be released at the same time as the Camera Raw plug-in that supports that camera.

Again, if Nikon supported the DNG format natively, your camera would have been supported at the day of release, like the Pentax, Leica or Ricoh cameras, even for older versions of Camera Raw.

Please complaint to Nikon, as Adobe has made that format free to use for anybody.

But, your question is can Photoshop handle it? I would answer: will your system handle it?

Having a fast processor, lots of RAM, and a very fast storage sub-system (read SSDs) will make the handling of 36Mpx raw files confortable or not.

• 4. Re: Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files
                Grant H Level 4

I doubt seriously that ACR 6.6 would be able to open those files.

hmmn true...

We don't know if there will be a ACR 6.7 or not

what u mean... Go straight to 7.0 with next suite?

OT: what ever happened to canons plans for a 120 mp sensor?

• 5. Re: Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Please complaint to Nikon, as Adobe has made that format free to use for anybody.

I think the OP did not mention Nikon specifically, but it certainly would be nice if camera-buyers would let the manufacturers know about it if they want to be able to process their RAW files with Adobe Camera Raw instead of the proprietary software.

Even if that should be able to get better results from the data, convenience may trump quality for many users …

• 6. Re: Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files
                    PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

The only other 36MPX camera I know of  is the Leica S2. It shoots DNG, so it would not be an issue, but she could complaint to Nikon and Canon anyways

Grant H: do you know? I don't... hence my answer...

Here is what history tells us:

ACR 5.7 was released in April 20, 2010 while ACR 6.0 shipped on May 01, 2010.

ACR 4.6 on Sept 17, 2008, while ACR 5.0 shipped on Oct 15, 2008

So, in the past, a "last" ACR version was released in the two weeks or the month prior to a new update, but Adobe's plans to the future are known to Adobe only.

• 7. Re: Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files
                      Grant H Level 4

So, in the past, a "last" ACR version was released in the two weeks or the month prior to a new update, but Adobe's plans to the future are known to Adobe only.

ohrrg

• 8. Re: Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files
                        Level 7

36 Megapixel isn't a big file.

Medium format cameras have been producting 48 and 64 Megapixel images for years.

And Photoshop users work with Gigapixel images quite often.

Yes, Photoshop can handle that.

And yes, you may have to wait for ACR to support the new camera model. How long depends on how soon the camera maker gave the ACR team access to the info they need.

• 9. Re: Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

juliemiller24@yahoo.com wrote:

When I upgraded my camera for one with greater resolution, I had to upgrade to CS5.  If I purchase a new camera with a resolution of 36 million pixels, will CS5 be able to cope?

Perhaps a better question is "will your computer system be able to cope?"

If you want to work with large images regularly, especially if you're doing a lot of editing steps, creating a lot of layers, or just trying to crank through a lot of images, more computer is better.

Do you have a 64 bit operating system?

-Noel

• 10. Re: Capacity for CS5 to deal with large files
                            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

juliemiller24@yahoo.com wrote:

Dude, there is something not quite right when a D8000 owner asks daft questions like that.   But I am probably just green coz I use Canon 1D bodies and Canon's lates high end offering is only 18Mp.  Getting real for a moment, what is your computer spec?  If you are into seven frame HDR sets, then you are going to need 8Gb or more of RAM IME.   I