14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 11:17 AM by nam69 RSS

How to deactivate Photoshop Elements

nam69

I dont know how to do this. I need to install my disc on a new computer and it told me my serial number is good for 2 computers and i need to deactivate one

please send replys to my email address

[Email address removed]

Message was edited by: Brett N

• 1. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
          99jon CommunityMVP

You open the Editor on your old PC and on the menu bar click Help à Deactivate

If that doesn’t work you need to contact support at the link below. Click I need help with deactivation and it’s often possible to initiate live chat.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html

• 2. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
            ashborges Community Member

When you'll go to Editor's Help -> Deactivate..., you'll see a window like

Click on "Deactivate Permanently". It will deactivate your serial number on that machine and you can use that serial number on some other machine.

• 3. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
              nam69 Community Member

Thanks to all for the help. I did contact the company and they were able to

give me an activation on my new computer since my other computer died with

the program installed. I also have the program installed on my laptop but I

dont have an option to deactive it using the help button. That option is

showing on my desktop, but not on my laptop. So I would have to call the

company again to get help if my laptop goes down or I buy a new one?

• 4. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                Barbara B. CommunityMVP

You are looking in editor and not organizer? Do you keep getting a screen asking you to enter your serial number, by any chance?

• 5. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                  nam69 Community Member

No everything works on both my laptop and desktop, but there is no button

to deactivate the program like I have on my desktop. My desktop is brand

new but what if I want to change out laptops, I dont have a option right

now.

• 6. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                    nam69 Community Member

I have it back on my laptop. I think it was account I had photos in there

being worked on

• 7. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                      nam69 Community Member

I don't have it now and I am doing an update. I think you must have all

photos out of the editor to be able to see the deactivate button?? Not sure

about this one, But I saved a picture that I had in editor and then checked

the help button and the deactivate button was showing then, After this

update I will investigate further

• 8. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                        Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Yes, you can't deactivate while working on a photo. That's so you don't lose your work.

• 9. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                          nam69 Community Member

Yes I am figuring that out now. The only way I get to the deactivate button

is by hitting file and then select photshop elements file then it loads it

asking for a name under that is preset which default is selected, under

that size, its a window. If I close out of that my button will show up in

the help button. I don't want anything running right now. I don't know how

to turn off the editor. The window I have now is editor full with like a

bunch of pictures of apples on the right side. If i click out of this and

then reopen photoshopin edit or organize under the welcome screen, I have

no button, I hope this makes sense to you. I probably have something

running that does not need to be. I am a newbie and the photos I have in

the program and not important. Thanks for the help thus far, Pete

• 10. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                            Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Actually that doesn't make much sense. Deactivate means "I will never use this program again on this computer", so you can't deactivate unless PSE perceives you're not busy doing something. Obviously you won't deactivate while you're working. Launch the editor then immediately go to Help>Deactivate and that's all it should take.

• 11. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                              nam69 Community Member

I am an idiot. I am selecting organizer on the welcome screen, Should I

open this program under edit I want to get all the pictures that are on

this program to an ecternal hard drive, Thanks for the help. I really

appreciate it. I bought the book Photo elements 10 and its like a bible

• 12. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                                Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Deactivating has no effect on your pictures or on organizer. It only affects editor. Even so, I would wait till you have completed your organizer backup and are sure you are through with PSE before deactivating it.

• 13. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                                  nam69 Community Member

Got it, I think I am OK now, I had another program called Picisa and I just

uninstalled it as it was saving all my pictures that I did not want saved

on this laptop. It was a free editor. No need to have that on here. I took

it off my desktop also. Just Elements on both now. If I save pictures it

will be on this desktop becasue its new and I bought plenty of room for

pictures and music (1tb hard drive). Thanks again, Pete

• 14. Re: how to deactivate photoshop
                                    nam69 Community Member

Lots to read in that book of yours lol, Pete