38 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 4:39 AM by Karen_Little

ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link

Karen_Little Level 1

Hi - I can create web links without a problem, but the file links do not work. File links contain a path that the computer cannot follow.

Note when I export the pages to a PDF, and edit the link setting, the supposed "file link" appears as a web link. I have to change it in the PDF to file link, select the file, then delete the old instructions, and save the document before I can pull up the linked file.

Is this a bug?

• 1. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
          Grant H Level 4

How are you exactly creating a hyperlink to a file in ID.

G

• 2. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
            Karen_Little Level 1

I've created a PDF document showing step-by-step where the bug exists.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to upload it.

• 3. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
              Grant H Level 4

you will need to upload to a public dropbox folder or the like and post the link.

• 4. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                Karen_Little Level 1

My employer doesn't allow access to a dropbox, so I am going to upload screen captures that illustrate the two-part bug.The first part of the bug is that when you save a document with a file link in ID, then convert it to a PDF, that link becomes a weblink. The second is that ID saves the directory name in the link using web-friendly symbols for spaces. This type of symbology doesn't appear to work when trying to access a folder via PDF on a local server.

ID_01_new_hyperlink_to_local_file.jpg: Hyperlink created in ID

ID_01_new_hyperlink_to_local_file.jpg

ID_02_try_file_hyperlink_in_PDF.jpg: ID file exported to PDF. Link unsuccessfully tried in PDF

ID_02_try_file_hyperlink_in_PDF.jpg

ID_03_view_hyperlink_in_PDF.jpg: See how the ID hyperlink string is interpreted by PDF

ID_03_view_hyperlink_in_PDF.jpg

ID_04_create_OPEN_FILE_hyperlink_in_PDF_old_one_to_be_deleted.jpg: Create a new "Open File" link in PDF. The old link will be deleted.

ID_04_create_OPEN_FILE_hyperlink_in_PDF_old_one_to_be_deleted.jpg

• 5. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                  Karen_Little Level 1

Does anyone have an answer? Our company bought InDesign becaue we thought it would be a better tool to coordinate with Acrobat - if this file link thing can't be solved, it will be a *nightmare* . . .

Help help help

• 6. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                    Rik Ramsay Level 4

What is the reason for linking to a local file? I only ask because when you get the pdf to correctly link to the file, only you on your machine can access it which is a bit strange as presumably you would know where you saved it.

Anyway, a possible solution could be to change your 'file' link to a URL link and see if that helps. If the InD file and the pdf you are linking to are in the same folder, you could try a relative link to just the filename using this method.

Alternatively, create a button which has a few more options with how to handle document links.

• 7. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                      Karen_Little Level 1

I've done extensive testing using Word documents. I can set file links in them and as long as all files exist in the same folder, the set can be moved on my computer without a problem. But no matter, our application will have all the files set up on a shared server where linking will be finalized. We don't intend on moving the files elsewhere.

I think this is a huge InDesign bug and if a solution isn't found on this forum, I'm going to have to pound some doors about it because for corporate, it is a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ issue.

The bug is that InDesign saves links with space escape characters - those cannot be read by Windows Explorer. I don't know if the same is true on a MAC.

• 8. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                        Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

A workaround suggestion: Instead of using hyperlinks, use a button with an open file action. If the target PDF resides on a server/location accessible to the users who will be viewing the master PDF, this will work.

• 9. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                          Rik Ramsay Level 4

The file linking works fine using a Mac, or so it seems. I am pretty sure this has something to do with the Mac file hierarchy not having spaces in the names. I remember about 2 years ago having the same issue as you using a windows machine. I ended up storing it on a server and renaming all the folders leading to it. Eg, C:\Documents\Name\File.ext and ensuring all files were in the same folder.

As has been mentioned, the button might solve the document file option and this might even allow you to use relative links.

http://indesignsecrets.com/making-relative-hyperlinks-to-files-in-indesign.php

• 10. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                            Karen_Little Level 1

Unfortunately, I need text hyperlinks and I need to create those links in my source document, rather than in the resulting PDFs.

• 11. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                              Karen_Little Level 1

The bug is Adobe's. Given that the software programmers provided a distinction between file and web page, they know what's at stake.

That said, I'll have to see if the server directory names have spaces in them. These files will be published on a sharepoint server, so we'll see what that introduces into the mix.

We don't want the files read through a browser which, I imagine, sharepoint would support (more investigative work to be done), but again, we don't want to interact with a web browser, so even if we were in an environment in which one could be logically used (maybe), it really isn't an option.

Microsoft Word creates perfect file links for a PDF and InDesign is required to do so, too.

How do I get the attention of someone in InDesign's programming team. Anyone know? This isn't a big fix . . .

• 12. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can file your bug report here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bob

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                  Karen_Little Level 1

Very cool. Thanks, Bob!

• 14. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link

We don't want the files read through a browser

Viewed in Acrobat/Reader, selecting a hyperlink directed to a PDF (even a local file), Acrobat will open a browser, then the browser opens the PDF.

Although the button method has disadvantages, here are some thoughts: You can still create the button and action in Indesign, Acrobat is not necessary. You can design the button to look like a hyperlink, and use styles. You can place the button (like an inline graphic) into a text flow. The button will open the target PDF directly in Acrobat, not like the hyperlink method of forcing a browser to open. Opening a target PDF via a link takes more actions and processing and is slower. And in a Windows environment, as long as you don't have spaces in the path name, the button will open target PDF.

• 15. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                      Karen_Little Level 1

I've set my system up so that the linked PDFs all open in new PDF windows. Would you like to know how? As we don't have an intranet, a browser-based system is out of the question.

Anyway, while the button system has advantages, I have several hundred links to create based on lists (grrrrrr).

It's a shame, because I did my initial testing in Word and the links worked like a champ. We purchased InDesign so we could have more flexibility in how things looked, plus, InDesign does not blow up styles every few minutes like Word does (too bad we don't have Win7 here - that edition of Word might be more stable). Had I known that InDesign could create a simple file link, we wouldn't have spent the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.99

anyway, having to make all of the links in Acrobat will be really costly to us in terms of employee utilization. I'm not a happy camper at all, although on the plus side, it can be done and once done, we won't have to frequently change those links.

Oh, and it is unfortunate, but the people who set up the corporate servers put spaces in path names. That said, one of the early frustrations with MAC/Apple systems is that their paths always had spaces in them, so Microsoft acquiesced, making a mess of everything. As a programmer myself, I'd never put spaces in file or directory names, but in pecking order, I've been overruled . . . (ouch ouch ouch).

• 16. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link

I've set my system up so that the linked PDFs all open in new PDF windows. Would you like to know how?

Yes

• 17. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                          Karen_Little Level 1

Bob - I posted the bug report this morning related to ID's file hyperlink problem. I hope and pray that Adobe responds and does so quickly. It is a huge problem for us. Otherwise, we love everything else related to ID. I'd hate to go back to using MS Word for this particular, very extensive project.

• 18. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                            Karen_Little Level 1

Hi Jeff - here's how to make linked PDF files appear on new pages (doesn't apply to web pages).

1 - In an Acrobat file, create create a link, open the Actions tab, click Add..., then choose "Open a file."

2 - A "Specify Open Appearance" dialog box appears. Select "New Window"

3 - When that dialog box closes, the file link appears in the Actions tab.

newWindow_1.jpg

newWindow_2.jpg

• 19. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Karen_Little wrote:

Bob - I posted the bug report this morning related to ID's file hyperlink problem. I hope and pray that Adobe responds and does so quickly. It is a huge problem for us. Otherwise, we love everything else related to ID. I'd hate to go back to using MS Word for this particular, very extensive project.

I hate to burst your bubble, but unless the engineers need addtional information you won't hear a thing, and unless the bug is considered serious enough to risk breaking something else it probably will not get fixed in anything earlier than CS7. Develpoment is long over for CS5.5, and most bug fixes are not ported back unless they affect a very large number of users and can be shown not to have unintended consequences -- fixing code in one place can ripple through and break something else quite easily.

• 20. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link

Karen, what you just showed in Acrobat is basically creating a link with an action to open a file. And really is the same as creating a button with an action in Indesign that I described before.

• 21. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                  Karen_Little Level 1

Jeff - Acrobat works just fine. InDesign does not on many levels.

My understanding of your question was "how to set up a link in Acrobat to open in new windows."

Given the supposed integration between InDesign and Acrobat, I should not have to delete InDesigns file link each time I create an Acrobat file to make it work.

I can achieve my goals from Microsoft Word, a company that competes with Adobe, but I cannot achieve my goals with an Adobe product.

I've just done some more investigation of Adobe's hyperlink management and IMHO, it has some significant bugs. Shame on Adobe. People thinking about buying InDesign should be aware of the issues before cutting a check.

• 22. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                    Karen_Little Level 1

Yeah, Peter - I *know* ---

But I've just discovered several more issues with ID's hyperlinking system that I think are such major bugs that people should not buy ID until they are fixed. *I'll tell the world,* as much as I can.

Today's publishing software is predicated on hyperlinking and ID just cannot do it properly.

I, personally, would not use ID to create web pages, but it is ideal for Acrobat/PDF applications.

Had I known about this bug 3 weeks ago, I would not have recommended that my company purchase the product. I'm just sick about it.

I now have to decide whether we eat the cost (thank god we did not yet buy more compies of the software) and make everyone look bad in the decision, or pretend nothing is wrong, thus screwing anyone else who needs to pick up the project after me.

• 23. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you really can't work it out, return the software. Adobe has a 30-day refund policy.

• 24. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link

Could your issue be resolved by having directory paths not contain spaces?

• 25. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                          Rik Ramsay Level 4

This sounds to me like it's the case. As I mentioned back in post #9, I had the same problem when using a windows machine and I got around it by storing in a location without any spaces in the file link trail. Also, it works perfectly on the mac without any tricks.

My assumption here would be that due to the spaces in the folders, InDesign/Acrobat has to fill the gaps with html (%20) and as a result, makes the link a URL/Web link. This is only an assumption but you would think there would be a way around this on a windows machine as most of their folders contain spaces.

My other thinking here is that the pdf will eventually be on a SharePoint server. As such, it is highly unlikely the path will contain spaces so maybe all this chat is irrelevant?

• 26. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                            Tahoe Thom Level 1

I am still noticing this problem in CS5 7.0.4 and have NOT found that Reader X is a solution. I have a 600 page book that consists of 14 InDesign chapter files, have created hyperlinks across the different indd's every which way I can think and have learned. When the book is exported as interactive PDF the only links that hold are within the chapters, not from one to another, even though they are visible when moused over. This is especially problematic for an index. The feature seems to be available in ID but fails on export. Wondering if this is fixed in CS5, but hesitating to spend $400 on Suite upgrade to find out. Also wondering if spaces in the indd's names could be causing the links to fail?

• 27. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                              Karen_Little Level 1

Rik - we are eventually going to keep the files on SharePoint, but we cannot create them there (at least not that I know of). That said, I tested the application on SharePoint - the page links created by ID and ported over to PDF still would not open. The file links created in Acrobat/PDF could open on SharePoint.

I still have some experimenting to do (never say "never")(until it is "never").

It is a shame that I couldn't build a web-based document (I'm a ColdFusion programmer), or use packaged online documentation development tools, but those solutions aren't available in this case.

This is a huge problem. Adobe's QA department really let the team down.

• 28. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                                Karen_Little Level 1

Jeff, when you work in a corporate environment, you use the directory structure you are given. As a programmer, I know that this would have been an easy fix for Adobe, they just forgot to do it.

• 29. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                                  Karen_Little Level 1

Peter, we may have to return the software (although I understand that there are some issues within a big company about doing that). The thing is that we've blown a few weeks of production time, all of which is recorded in detail on timecards. We might have to sue Adobe to get that money back. Frankly, that would be my recommendation.

• 30. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                                    Karen_Little Level 1

We need a class-action lawsuit. The cost of the software is nothing. Loss of productive time is huge.

• 31. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link

Did you ever consider testing your PDF to see if the links would work before going into full blown production?

• 32. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                                        Tahoe Thom Level 1

Karen, I think my problem is similar and may have found a solution that I read from another thread. Try exporting your document, or in my case selected docs in an Indesign book document, to a pdf for print instead of interactive. Then change the PDF preset to smallest file size and click include hyperlinks and bookmarks. For me the hyperlinks across multiple Indesign docs finally worked, instead of not when exporting as interactive.

• 33. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                                          Karen_Little Level 1

Bless you - I'll try that first thing tomorrow morning - prior to a department meeting on the subject.

• 34. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                                            Karen_Little Level 1

Hi Tahoe Thom - I'm on an XP machine at work with a recently installed CS5.5.

Right now, I'm at  home on a Win7 machine with a CS5.5 ver 7.5.2.

Now then, I set everything you suggested for test 1. Then did the same, but this time the output was for the latest PDF reader.

Both tests came out the same and included a warning before viewing a lined file BUT were different than the ones I did at work, which did not let me view a linked file.

In the image below, the Security Warning shows the link created in InDesign. That warning uses an escape character for all backwards slashes, plus the escape %20 for all spaces. The DIFFERENCE is that now I can click ALLOW and pull up the file (which is good for me).

The bottom image shows the InDesign "open in a web link" link as it was ported over to Acrobat on top, and the "open in a file" link that I created in Acrobat. The Acrobat version does NOT have any spaces in it. When you click that link, the warning sign does NOT appear and you get right through.

Now then, I clicked on the HELP in the Security Warning window and it brought me to http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/WS3870a95df603bbc418acbcd812fd7347f8f-8000.h tml. Hummmmm.

OK, here're the screen captures. I can't wait to try this at work tomorrow.

adobe_link_issue.jpg

• 35. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                                              Tahoe Thom Level 1

Looks like you are getting the results you wanted? I think once you "allow" that security warning you will not see it again. Probably should test that file on another machine, other than the one you created it upon.

• 36. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                                                Karen_Little Level 1

No - as of the end of my workday today, the warning I got on the XT machine would not let me access the file, but the one on Win7 does.

So, tomorrow, I need to see if there is any setting that will allow the file to get through, outside of hand editing it.

With respect to the "allow" checkbox, it does absolutely nothing. The warning comes up all the time.

What is annoying is that the Adobe warning says that this warning step is to protect your computer, but if you hand edit the directory path, you do not get the warning. Something about this logic is screwy.

• 37. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                                                  Tahoe Thom Level 1

Is that coming from a character space between words in the title or name of the document? If so, maybe try changing that or those to underscores.

• 38. Re: ID5.5 - can't create a successful file link
                                                                                    Karen_Little Level 1

Oy! This is soooooooooooooooo strange.

If you look on my post here - http://forums.adobe.com/message/4205788#4205788 (Feb 14, 2012 at 8:16AM) you will see the error message I *consistantly got* when trying a link through the end of the day yesterday.

Another thing that was happenening was that when I made hyperlinks, they did NOT appear in the Hyperlink dialog box (or whatever it's called). I've been watching online training (very helpful) and one of the trainers said that checking Shared Hyperlink Destination check box was only for when you were going to share the hyperlink in numerous places throughout your document. As I didn't think saving was necessary, I experimented by not checking the box, and discovered later that the box really was required.

Then yesterday, I discovered that checking the box was required if you wanted to remove the hyperlink without removing the display text. THAT SAID, in all the documents I created prior to that time, whether I left the box checked or deliberately unchecked it, *nothing* appeared in my hyperlink dialog box ever until yesterday. Really! For several days, I couldn't figure out what the box was for. The *only* difference in my behavior was that after I created and used a style for hyperlinking and assigned it in the hyperlink area did my hyperlinks start appearing in the dialog box.

OK, so then, last night I tried Tahoe Thom's advice at home, and everything worked perfectly on my Win7 machine and this morning I tried the same thing on my XP at work. Worked perfectly! Then I tried saving the file as an "interactive pdf" which I had been doing up to last night, worked perfectly!

Please realize that up until last night, the only error message I got was the one I reported earlier and I could not connect with a file. Now my error message is OK. Oy!

Possibly saving as a print PDF reset InDesign's brains. And possibly creating a link connected with a style helped in some way, too, with internal processes.

I'm totally happy things work, but what a strange story. Thank god I saved the bad error message I kept getting, or I would think I was nuts.

The new error message is like this:

newErrorMsg.jpg