10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 5:24 AM by AtonMusic

Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mac - Timeline Previews are being Killed... Any way to stop this ?

AtonMusic Level 2

Hi...

On Video track one, I have the track height very high so that I can see the footage poster frames. I love editing this way.

Lots of times, I will edit simultaneously between multiple sequences. My problem is that after a while PPRO just kills the poster frames,

and when I enter the sequence that I was just editing in, I have to wait for pPRO to rebuild them... AGAIN.

This takes time.

Tried saving the project to have PPRO NOT kill the previews... But that does NOT help..

Any ideas of how I can get PPRO to maintain those Poster Frames...

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mac - Timeline Previews are being Killed... Any way to stop this ?
          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

When you generate poster frames, they get cached in the app's media cache with a timestamp.  As you switch to using other footage, that cache periodically dumps stuff that it thinks is stale to make room for other frames - so either try boosting the amount of memory available to the cache (look in the prefs), and/or add more ram to the machine if required.

Cheers

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mac - Timeline Previews are being Killed... Any way to stop this ?
            AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Wil,

thanx a bunch for chiming in...

1) I am not aware of the user being able to boost cache memory in Premiere Pro, at least on the Mac Version.

2) I have 32GB or RAM on the Machine and PPRO is the only app running, is that not enough ?

Thanks for any advice

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mac - Timeline Previews are being Killed... Any way to stop this ?
              Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Look in the menu under Preferences, Memory - there's information on how much total ram your system has, and how much is reserved for the Adobe Suite app in question.  So you can custom tailor how much ram gets dedicated to each app (useful for people that like to run PPro/Photoshop/AE all at the same time, for instance).

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mac - Timeline Previews are being Killed... Any way to stop this ?
                AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Wil,

1) I have 26 GigaByte set for PPRO to use, that should suffice.

I dont want to imagine what a consumer desk/lap top suffers if I am suffering under my setup ;-)

2) Every time Premiere generates Previews new, it takes CPU cycles and THAT causes PPRO to be un-responsive until those previews has been generated.

I cannot image those previews taking much hard disk space. And even if, better to waste a few gigabytes of hardisk space than to waste CPU cycles. IMO.

Since I am talking to an emplyee, perhaps you guys could offer users a small preferences called "Maintain Clip-Previews"... This would cause PPRO to NOT delete those previews under any circumstance.

I take that you guys are aware of the expression; "A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words" ---- The speech, holds true and therefor I cannot for the world of me understand why those previews, which are so important to the cutter, should be deleted ;-)))

Would be great if you could dangle this here feature request infront of someone who is making dicisions ;-))

Thanks !

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mac - Timeline Previews are being Killed... Any way to stop this ?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I cannot for the world of me understand why those previews, which are so important to the cutter

I don't rely on them myself.  Just the head image is more than sufficient, and even then I rarely notice it.  The editors I know work the same.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mac - Timeline Previews are being Killed... Any way to stop this ?
                    AtonMusic Level 2

lasvideo wrote:

I never use that function at all.

That is probably because you dont work with skimming... I do..

I would go mad and grow old if I had to double-click footage and watch it in the source panel, the way the Premiere Crew intended for it, so I use an alternate workflow...

Skimming

Example;

1 - I'll Import several rushes residing in several folders.

2 - I create one sequence per rush, sometimes one sequence per Scene

3 - Then Automate the whole rush to the sequence

4 - I'll create my main sequence and call that story board.

5 - on the Top of the screen, I'll open the RUsh-Sequences

6 - In the center I have the program monitor along with a scope

7 - I have programmed a short cut to the "Move Playhead to Cursor" function

When I depress that shortcut, and move the mouse the playhead will follow the mouse wherever it goes, and since I use RAID0 and Prores the movie updates immediately.

Just like skimming which is the most (and ONLY) powerful feature FinalCutX brought about. Nevertheless a feature that experienced editors have been using for years...

8 - So now, instead of using the ultimate slow method of double clicking a clip in the project panel and opening it in the source monitor, I'll just move the mouse over any clip while pressing my shortkey

and that is the fastest way of skimming thru' (sorting) your footage. I'll set in/out points on the fly.

9 - I have BOTH the Rush-sequence and storyboard sequence open in TWO separate timelines and I'll just drag whichever clip I have trimmed from the rush down to the storyboard sequence.

This workflow is being seriously crippled by the previews being deleted all the time...

I was never much of a text reader and I find it 100% more intuitive to find my clips by looking at image-representations of them instead of reading the clip names...

I am including a small demo-video displaying the workflow. It was taking off my 30" Apple display and down-sized.

The movie (compressed) is stuttering but that stutter does not appear on the local mac in PPRO

You will see me skimming thru the rush-sequence and with the mouse-wheel scrolling to different locations on the timeline. This way of sorting and finding clips is extremely fast, IMO ;-)

I was not aiming to make a tutorial, just to display my workflow so that you can see what I am rambling about ;-)

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mac - Timeline Previews are being Killed... Any way to stop this ?
                      AtonMusic Level 2

Thanks....

Give it a shot. You'll love it...

That is what I personally ADORE about Premiere Pro, you can set it up to do just about anything you want it to.

A real cameleon ;-)

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Mac - Timeline Previews are being Killed... Any way to stop this ?
                        AtonMusic Level 2

Hi Wil,

been looking carefully at all this the past week...

You say that PPRO timestamps those previews and then deletes them...

This could, unfortunately NOT be farther from the truth ;-)

Now, PPRO might timestamp and "Delete" those files. Perhaps it works on a Windows machine...

This is what happens on Lion running on a Mac:

1) Those Previews WILL vanish from the time and PPRO will have to rebuild them

2) However, those preview files are NOT delete from RAM....

They are being added to "INACTIVE RAM"

Doesn't make sense - You DELETE the Previews from the Timeline BUT you leave the previews in RAM.

If you do that, WHAT is the point of deleting the Previews Visually if you dont clear them in RAM ????????

Every time I open a new timeline and PPRO generates those Previews I can watch the Activity Monitor in OS X adding to inactive RAM - in NO TIME (5 minutes of work) I reach 10GB of inactive RAM. This no fun ;-)

Would be nice if you could add a fix for this in CS6