5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 6:59 PM by BobLevine

InDesign Remotely.

JJ0330 Level 1

Hi, this might be more of general MAC question but maybe someone can help.  We are building our own internal graphic design department and are using InDesign which works fine and we have them share folders on our Windows network.  But, looking to maybe have some part-time users for certain projects that would need to work remotely.  While can have them use our FTP site to pull and put files as needed, we were thinking if there is a solution such as Windows Terminal Server where they remote in but are running indesign here without using vnc or something like that and having to have a separate mac here for each user?  Thanks for any help.  Joe

• 1. Re: InDesign Remotely.
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Just use a Dropbox folder.

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign Remotely.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you trying to find a way for them to run a remote installation of ID, rather than having it installed on their computer? You should check your license to see if that is allowed (the answer is probably not).

• 3. Re: InDesign Remotely.
              Rik Ramsay Level 4

I think you have 2 main options here:

1. Use Bob's advice and transfer all the files via dropbox which means they run/install/buy the software on their own machine. This saves you money but you would hope they have their own drives backed up incase they lose what they are working on as they would have the files; or
              2. Have a separate machine in your office, as you suggested, each with the software installed and have them login through 'LogMeIn' and use the machine. LogMeIn is free and it then means they do not have the files themselves but you have the cost of the computer and software.

My 2 cents.

• 4. Re: InDesign Remotely.
                JJ0330 Level 1

Thanks for all the input.  I will look into dropbox option.  Follow up on Dropbox, these pages will have a lot of images on, close to 400-500 meg per page so when using dropbox, does indesign link directly to it like another local folder and won't that be kind of slow when dealing with a lot of images on a page?  I know even when working locally and images are on our own in house network, it is a lot slower to work then if they are copied to local MAC.  Thanksa again, Joe

• 5. Re: InDesign Remotely.
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That's not how Dropbox works. You work on the file on your own computer and once you save and close it, it's synched with anyone else who's sharing that folder.

IOW, everyone works locally.

Bob