4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 2:39 PM by peter minneapolis

Tracking page numbers in a Cross-Reference (e.g., See p. xxx)

DigitEyezInc Level 1

Hi.

I've looked for, but can't seem to find, this topic/function. Not sure I even know what to search for.

Here's what I want to be able to accomplish:

Throughout my document, I have numerous references, which I've manually inserted in both the text flow and in the footnotes.

E.g., on pp. 10, 20, 30, and 40. I write: See: Gorillas, p. 100

Fine, right? But what happens if, during the course of editing the document, the discussion of "Gorillas" (on p. 100) moves to page 105?

Presently, I have to first find each occurrence of "See: Gorillas, p. 100" and manually change each reference to "....p. 105"

Is there a way to insert some sort of a "marker" (or whatever it might be called) to "track" wherever "Gorillas" appears, esp. the page number?

I'm thinking that it "should" work like this:

"See Gorillas, p. [page # of wherever GorillasReferenceMarker is]"

This way, if I later move the "Gorillas" paragraph to, say, page 200, then ALL of the "See Gorillas, p. 100" references on pages, 10, 20, 30, and 40 would automatically update to "See Gorillas, p. 200"

Did I explain that clearly? Any help would be appreciated. I have about 200 of these "Gorillas" on my back and need some relief. No bananas, please.

Thanks, in advance, for any clarification!

• 1. Re: Tracking page numbers in a Cross-Reference (e.g., See p. xxx)
          Rik Ramsay Level 4

I could be wrong but from my experience, as long as you have the cross ref attached to a specific paragraph style and header, no matter where you moved that section it would still link without problem and update the numbering. The only issue you would get is if you edited the title you initially referenced. There is a button at the bottom of the cross reference panel for "update cross references". Does this solve the numbering problems?

Edit:// Just noticed that you may not have Cross references set up. These are Hyperlinks that link to specific paragraph styles and track where they go. You can then reuse that one reference in numerous places. This might help. http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1332860&seqNum=5

• 2. Re: Tracking page numbers in a Cross-Reference (e.g., See p. xxx)
            DigitEyezInc Level 1

No, I don't have any cross references established (yet, anyway!). This little cute monkey grew pretty fast, and, before I realized what was going to happen, I was staring at King Kong.  Initially (w/o the benefit of having read the link you kindly provided) I dismissed the Cross reference dialogue box, because I understood it to be asking for cross-referencing a paragraph style... not a particular paragraph (or marker therein). Obviously, I don't have a grasp of this yet...

I'll check out the link and post back.

Isn't there just a "Do What I'm Thinking" button?

• 3. Re: Tracking page numbers in a Cross-Reference (e.g., See p. xxx)
              DigitEyezInc Level 1

Yes. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

One note...I tried to cut & paste "Gorilla" into another section, several pages away. The cross-reference didn't like that and wouldn't update properly. When I cut it, I selected from the "G" in Gorilla (i.e., placed my cursor at the leftmost point of "Gorilla"), dragged across it, selecting the associated paragraphs, cut, then selected another section a few pages away and pasted. The cross-reference hated me for this. It didn't like that technique.

So, I tried another cut & paste technique. This time, I selected the line ABOVE "Gorilla" and dragged down across "Gorilla" and the associated text, cut, then pasted it a few pages away as before. This time, the cross-reference loved me. It worked fine. Must be something having to do with cutting the actual heading I selected, vs. the section containing the target (i.e., the previous line ABOVE/BEFORE the target, in this case, "Gorilla.")

Also, inserting text and reflowing it either earlier or later in the document kept the integrity of the cross-reference: "see: Gorilla p. 4"...or "see: Gorilla p. 20" . Very cool.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• 4. Re: Tracking page numbers in a Cross-Reference (e.g., See p. xxx)
                peter minneapolis Level 4

DigitEyezInc wrote:

Yes. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

One note...I tried to cut & paste "Gorilla" into another section, several pages away. The cross-reference didn't like that and wouldn't update properly. When I cut it, I selected from the "G" in Gorilla (i.e., placed my cursor at the leftmost point of "Gorilla"), dragged across it, selecting the associated paragraphs, cut, then selected another section a few pages away and pasted. The cross-reference hated me for this. It didn't like that technique.

So, I tried another cut & paste technique. This time, I selected the line ABOVE "Gorilla" and dragged down across "Gorilla" and the associated text, cut, then pasted it a few pages away as before. This time, the cross-reference loved me. It worked fine. Must be something having to do with cutting the actual heading I selected, vs. the section containing the target (i.e., the previous line ABOVE/BEFORE the target, in this case, "Gorilla.")

Also, inserting text and reflowing it either earlier or later in the document kept the integrity of the cross-reference: "see: Gorilla p. 4"...or "see: Gorilla p. 20" . Very cool.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

If you turn on Type > Show Hidden Characters, then insert a cross-reference, you'll see a new non-printing character - the cross-reference marker - appear at the beginning of the cross-referenced paragraph. You need to select the marker along with the paragraph you want to cut and move by pasting, to keep the cross-reference from breaking. Copying and pasting doesn't copy the cross-reference marker, even if it's selected, because one cross-reference can only point to one cross-reference marker.

Search Google for terms like "indesign hidden character list" without quotes, for details, and a link to a chart of these characters. Search Google for terms like "InDesign cross-reference," without quotes, for details on cross-references.    

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices