3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 2:04 PM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elements 7

John J Foley

Unable to process AVI files in my Premier Elements 7. My advisor tells me I have all the appropriate codecs installed. The AVI files were created with a Cannon Powershot SD750. If I import an AVI file the program freezes up.

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

AVIs from still cameras like the Powershot use the MJPEG codec. Programs like Windows MovieMaker can work with them. Premiere Elements can not -- unless you convert them to DV-AVIs, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premier Elements 7
            John J Foley Level 1

If I update to Elements 10 will it automatically make the conversion for me?

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

No. You will likely need to add an MJPEG CODEC, and I would recommend installing the one from Canon, as camera mfgrs. love to tweak their versions of many popular CODEC's. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, but you probably already have the specific Canon MJPEG CODEC handy. It should be on the utility disc, that shipped with the camera. It might be a separate installation, or more likely, installed along with the camera's driver, or most likely, installed with Canon's Browser/editing program. Even if you are not planning on using that utility, I would install it, to make sure that I had the Canon MJPEG CODEC. Two popular MJPEG CODEC's, the Morgan, or MainConcept, might/or might not, work with the Canon version of MJPEG. Now, you might have an MJPEG CODEC installed, but it might not quite match up to the Canon version, in your files.

Good luck,

Hunt