7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 8:10 AM by Robert Shomler

Compact Flash cards

Sparkle101

Am starting to shoot in Raw with my Cannon 40D and need to upgrade from my SanDisk 518 MB CF cards.  Am looking at the 2GB but see there is a Standard and an Ultra.  What are the differences?  Also, why such gigantic differences in price from one merchant to the next?

• 1. Re: Compact Flash cards
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's about transfer speed, possibly important if you shoot rapid sequences, otherwise not really.

Last year on a trip I needed another CF card and walked into the only photo shop (no, not Photoshop) I could find. I walked out again in a daze, because all they had were SanDisk Extremes, and an 8GB card cost me about the same as a 1TB hard drive. Of course I had no choice.

(...the guy behind the counter told me the price was because CF cards were "outdated" and "everybody" used SD these days...nice try )

Anyway, in everyday use I don't notice any difference between this and my other much cheaper cards. Download times seem similar, if that's what those 60MB/s are supposed to refer to.

• 2. Re: Compact Flash cards
            Noel Carboni Level 7

Do yourself a favor and pay the extra for an 8 GB card.  700 or so 40D raw files will fit on such a card.  Last June I took two such cards (SanDisk Extreme) to the Canary Islands for my 40D and only barely started on the second by the time a week had gone by.  Notably one battery lasted me almost the entire trip as well, so these cards must not use much power.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Compact Flash cards
              Robert Shomler Level 4

I'd endorse that recommendation.  I use 8 GB CF in my 40D.  They are relativey inexpensive now ... just purchased two  for less than 15 USD each.

• 4. Re: Compact Flash cards
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Something that might make a difference to you are the upload speads to your computer.  I was using 8 and 16 Gb cards in my 1D cameras, but had to get a 32Gb card when I got serious about video (it is scary how fast 1080 fills flash media).  The card I am looking at in front of me is Sandisk Extreme, and rated at 60MB/s  That is still going to take a while to dump a full card.

• 5. Re: Compact Flash cards
                  Sparkle101 Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I am not shooting video and have no plans to do so. Have all I can handle learning all about digital still photos.  Was the 8 GB satisfactory if you were not shooting video?

• 6. Re: Compact Flash cards
                    Sparkle101 Level 1

OOOPS!  My camera is a 50D.

• 7. Re: Compact Flash cards
                      Robert Shomler Level 4

Sparkle101 wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I am not shooting video and have no plans to do so. Have all I can handle learning all about digital still photos.  Was the 8 GB satisfactory if you were not shooting video?

Yes, 8 GB has been quite satisfactory for me on the 40D (stills, no video).  For some shoots I found it a little too small on the 18MP 7D, where I'm now using 16GB cards.  With a 15 mpixel 50D (1.5 x the 10mp of the 40D) it still could be OK -- perhaps more than 300 raw files, or plenty of jpegs.  However you measure it in your photo use, 8GB will be 16 times the card you'll be replacing.

1 person found this helpful