7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 8:10 AM by Robert Shomler

Compact Flash cards

Sparkle101 Level 1

Am starting to shoot in Raw with my Cannon 40D and need to upgrade from my SanDisk 518 MB CF cards.  Am looking at the 2GB but see there is a Standard and an Ultra.  What are the differences?  Also, why such gigantic differences in price from one merchant to the next?

• 1. Re: Compact Flash cards
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's about transfer speed, possibly important if you shoot rapid sequences, otherwise not really.

Last year on a trip I needed another CF card and walked into the only photo shop (no, not Photoshop) I could find. I walked out again in a daze, because all they had were SanDisk Extremes, and an 8GB card cost me about the same as a 1TB hard drive. Of course I had no choice.

(...the guy behind the counter told me the price was because CF cards were "outdated" and "everybody" used SD these days...nice try )

Anyway, in everyday use I don't notice any difference between this and my other much cheaper cards. Download times seem similar, if that's what those 60MB/s are supposed to refer to.

• 2. Re: Compact Flash cards
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Do yourself a favor and pay the extra for an 8 GB card.  700 or so 40D raw files will fit on such a card.  Last June I took two such cards (SanDisk Extreme) to the Canary Islands for my 40D and only barely started on the second by the time a week had gone by.  Notably one battery lasted me almost the entire trip as well, so these cards must not use much power.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Compact Flash cards
              Robert Shomler Level 4

I'd endorse that recommendation.  I use 8 GB CF in my 40D.  They are relativey inexpensive now ... just purchased two  for less than 15 USD each.

• 4. Re: Compact Flash cards
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Something that might make a difference to you are the upload speads to your computer.  I was using 8 and 16 Gb cards in my 1D cameras, but had to get a 32Gb card when I got serious about video (it is scary how fast 1080 fills flash media).  The card I am looking at in front of me is Sandisk Extreme, and rated at 60MB/s  That is still going to take a while to dump a full card.

• 5. Re: Compact Flash cards
                  Sparkle101 Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I am not shooting video and have no plans to do so. Have all I can handle learning all about digital still photos.  Was the 8 GB satisfactory if you were not shooting video?

• 6. Re: Compact Flash cards
                    Sparkle101 Level 1

OOOPS!  My camera is a 50D.

• 7. Re: Compact Flash cards
                      Robert Shomler Level 4

Sparkle101 wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I am not shooting video and have no plans to do so. Have all I can handle learning all about digital still photos.  Was the 8 GB satisfactory if you were not shooting video?

Yes, 8 GB has been quite satisfactory for me on the 40D (stills, no video).  For some shoots I found it a little too small on the 18MP 7D, where I'm now using 16GB cards.  With a 15 mpixel 50D (1.5 x the 10mp of the 40D) it still could be OK -- perhaps more than 300 raw files, or plenty of jpegs.  However you measure it in your photo use, 8GB will be 16 times the card you'll be replacing.

1 person found this helpful