10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 10:28 AM by Seb B

Mask is not moving with the set key frames

Seb B

Hi Everyone,

Though I have been using this forum a couple of years now, I never felt the need to ask a question, up until now that is. First of all, I would like to take the opportunity to thank so many of you for giving me the answers hence solving my problem before I had to ask. In particular people like Bill Hunt and Harm come to mind. Thanks!

Now on to my question. In my project a have a track matte key on top of a video with a mask on top of it. A bit like that "24-Kiefer Sutherland-type" editing. This has worked great for me in other projects. However, in this particular one I have set motion key frames on the mask but it only starts moving way later than the key frames are set. Pushing the keyframes forward as a workaround does not give a nice result. Any idea what could be the problem here? I'm editting a 1920x1080 project and the mask has the same dimensions. The update for Premiere only mentions something about Facebook which I don't care about so I don't think a bug will be removed with that upgrade and I'm affraid updates will slow down my workflow (as was the case with the latest Lightroom update for me....)

I hope this makes sense to any of you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Sebastiën

ps. If someone wants a screenshot, please explain to me how to do that as I cannot cut & paste here it seems and I don't know how to safe a screenshot to my harddisk (without using Powerpoint....embarrassing....)

• 1. Re: Mask is not moving with the set key frames
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> The update for Premiere only mentions something about Facebook

Huh?

Can you point to what you're referring to?

• 2. Re: Mask is not moving with the set key frames
            Seb B Level 1

I meant that people might say that it's a bug and therefore I need to update PP. When I click on update and I get the overview, there's one update for PP which mentiones something about "restoring a Facebook connection" or something. Therefore I don't think it has anything to do with my issue with my mask not following the key frames.

Sebastiën

• 3. Re: Mask is not moving with the set key frames
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you make a screendump of the message and post it here?

• 4. Re: Mask is not moving with the set key frames
                Seb B Level 1

Do you mean a screenshot of the update box?

If so, can you tell me how to do that as I can't cut and paste and don't know how to save a screenshot to my harddisk.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Mask is not moving with the set key frames

I assume its pc.

Hit print screen on the keyboard

Open Paint

paste and save.

• 6. Re: Mask is not moving with the set key frames
                    Seb B Level 1

Hi Ann, sorry for the late reply. I got the (hidden) message to update anyway, didn't know there was a "learn more" link which actually stated "general bug fixing" or something so I thought I'd give it a try. Updated PPro, restarted my computer but the problem with the mask remains. Here are some screenshots:

Mask issue 1.jpg

You can see my mask and in the effect controls panel you can see that the CTI is way past my keyframe but the picture is still way outside the "wanted" image, a bit later it all of a sudden slips quickly in place but of course it doesn't look nice at all (mind the CTI):

Mask issue 3.jpg

By the way, the image of the guy himself is getting smaller as well at the same time via a simple scale key framing. Here's a close-up of what I'm trying to do:

Mask issue 2.jpg

Your help is much appreciated (and thanks for teaching me the "wonderful" program of Paint.....I knew it had to exist for some reason!),

Sebas

• 7. Re: Mask is not moving with the set key frames

I am not quite sure, The video is to fit in the mask, yes?

Do you want the mask with the video to move around?

Why is there a transition between the two video's?

The mask says Griekenland: Are you Dutch?

• 8. Re: Mask is not moving with the set key frames
                        Seb B Level 1

Yes I am Dutch, how do you know? Not a lot of English natives (or any foreigner for that matter) who have mastered our little language!

The video is supposed to fit in the mask so that it looks nice in the "Wanted" image. There's a transition in the video layer because it ends with a still of the guy looking in the camera.

• 9. Re: Mask is not moving with the set key frames

Surprise: am Dutch too. And so is Harm.

But unfortunately we have to keep it English.

You cannot fit the video into the mask without either distorting (which you did by altering the hight and width) the image or cropping. And the latter is your best option imo.

So nest the two clips with the transition.

Draw a white rectangular in the Titler the same size as where the video is suppose to go.

Set track matte to the nested sequence in the main timeline to track 2

Add the wanted poster to track 3.

In the nested sequence itself you scale the video and the freeze frame down (probably to 50-60%) but do not uncheck the uniform scale and set the position.

To get this right drop the mask over the video and drop the opacity so you can see what you are doing, when finished delete or poke the eyeball.

Done.

Let me know if that will work for you.

nest.png

nested sequence.png

• 10. Re: Mask is not moving with the set key frames
                            Seb B Level 1

Hooray for Holland!

Just the nesting did the job already, thank you so much! No idea why that is buy hey, it works!

Sebas