22 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 10:28 AM by PECourtejoie

Saving files is very slow!!!

Zolren

Since I installed (updated) from CS5 to CS5.1, saving files is very slow. It takes like 4 minutes save a 2048 X 2048 png file which used to take seconds in CS5.

I am not sure what changed... I completely uninstalled all versions of Photoshop. Re-downloaded from the website. Deleted my user preferences and the problem remains.

Why is saving so slow all of a sudden?

Using Windows 7 - 64 bit

• 1. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Hm, that's kind of alarming.  Is it happening with all files or just PNG.

If every file does that, it could be a possible indication that your disk is going bad...

• Click Start and type view events into the search box. 
          • When View event logs comes up, click it.
          • Navigate down into Windows Logs > System and see if there are any Error events there that indicate problems with your disk.

If this isn't the problem, it's possible that Photoshop is having to wait for a disk to spin up to be able to access it.  Do you see the problem occur when you save again right away?  Are you using an external drive for either file storage or as a scratch disk in Photoshop?

Lastly, you may have a stored printer or drive connection to a location on your network that does not exist now (or is not responding) and that has to time out before completing the operation.  Have you changed anything in your network lately?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
            Zolren Level 1

I just did some more testing and it seems isolated to PNG right now. Saving the same image in jpeg took seconds... as PSD seconds... BMP seconds ... but PNG takes forever to save.

• 3. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Have you installed any 3rd party plug-ins?

Are you saving the PNG from File - Save As or by using File - Save For Web & Devices?

-Noel

• 4. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                Zolren Level 1

Using the normal Save As.

and I have not installed any plug-ins. This issue seems to have surfaced when I went from CS5 to CS5.1.

• 5. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

It just occurred to me that the Mondo Virtual Machine process used during PNG saves could be choosing an inappropriate place on your system to store its temporary files.

Once again I ask: Are there any network drives connected but which are not functional at the moment?  Any particularly slow external drives?

Here's a kind of a shot in the dark, but it HAS helped in the past:

1.  Create a folder at the root of drive C:, call it C:\TEMP

2.  Go into your Advanced System Settings and make your user TEMP and TMP environment variables contain C:\TEMP

3.  Close and reopen Photoshop, and try the test again.

For me, the MVM process puts its temporary files where my TEMP environment variable is pointed.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                    Zolren Level 1

Changed the location of Temp using your suggestion and no change. Still takes like 4 minutes to save a PNG.

Hmm.... however, I did check my external drive which I don't really use and I noticed files being created with _MVM_9.tmp. Ok. So what is creating those files on that drive and why? How do I tell it to not create files there?

• 7. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                      Level 7

PNG runs ZIP/FLATE compression at it's highest compression level - and that algorithm is slow, and very dependent on the contents of the image (it'll run fast on some images, and slow on others).

But the PNG code hasn't changed in many years.

• 8. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

A subsystem in Photoshop creates those files.  No one's been able to figure out just where it will open them.

What happens if you disconnect that drive?

-Noel

• 9. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                          Zolren Level 1

I have saved and re-saved 100's or maybe 1000's of PNG's with the previous version CS5 and save time was never noticeable. Since upgrading, something has changed.

Since upgrading and since Noel pointed it out, I did notice these new files mvm_9.temp (and the likes) being created on an external USB drive. Could these files being created and accessed on this external drive be the cause? Could a new plug-in that was not part of CS5 which may now be included in CS5.1 be doing it?

• 10. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                            Zolren Level 1

I disconnected that external drive and it was still slow however, I did not re-boot. Maybe whatever was trying to write there was still trying ... I'll have to retry with a reboot.

It is pretty strange that this Mondo Virtual Memory api that Adobe is using puts these files on some random drive without the user being able to override where they will end up being created.

• 11. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                              Zolren Level 1

I just tested with the external drive disconnected and the files get created in the default (enviromental variable location) in the temp folder.

The amount of time to save this .png file appears to take as long on the external or internal drive. I did try saving another .png file and this one was faster. I can't believe that in over 100 of png files created and saved that I just happened to get one that is so slow to compress / decompress. Which happened around the same time I upgraded versions of Photoshop.

Once again, could some new plug-in not found in CS5 but new in CS5.1 be causing this?

I guess I could go back ... uninstall CS5.1 ... re-install original CS5 from CD and see what happens with this same file.

• 12. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

Did you update Photoshop alone?

I ask because outside of licensing differences, there is no additional functionality in Photoshop CS5.1.

-Noel

• 13. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                                  Zolren Level 1

Just Photoshop.

• 14. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                                    Level 7

Photoshop 12.0.4 and 12.1 (aka CS5 and CS 5.5 or CS 5.1) are the same code -- there can't be a difference between them, unless it's imposed externally.

• 15. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                                      PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Why did you update Photoshop from 12.0.4 to 12.1? It does not differ in functionality...

• 16. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                                        Zolren Level 1

I was using CS5 but needed to edit 32bit EXR HDR files so I downloaded the trial of the Extended version and eventually ran into this issue.

• 17. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!

Zolren: was the file in 16bits mode, maybe? It does not make a big difference here. Does it have anything peculiar, paths, vanishing point grid, guides...

• 18. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                                            Zolren Level 1

The files that I needed to modify are 32 bit floating point EXR. The CS5 that I had would not allow editing of those whereas the Extended version did which is why I ended up installing the trial of Extended. So after I got done with those files and went back to working on some other files (png) is when I ran into the slow saving issue.

• 19. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!

Yes, Zolren, I got you on the 32bits info. Now I get why you are trying Extended. But my question about the bit depth of the image came from there, I thought that you were trying to save images coming from an higher bit depth, given what you've been doing previously, and that's what cased a difference in the files' condition, that might explain the slower saves.

Chris the disable flate compression plug-in does not work on PNG files, right?

• 20. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                                                Level 7

PEC - EXR doesn't use Flate, and the Disable Flate plugin only applies to PSD/PSB.

Zolren - any chance you are using a third party file format plugin?

• 21. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!
                                                  Noel Carboni Level 8

How did we switch from saving PNG, as listed in the original post, and now EXR?

Could we please have confirmation on EXACTLY what's taking a long time to do?

-Noel

• 22. Re: Saving files is very slow!!!

Noel, Chris, the EXR files are what prompted Zolren to install Ps 12.1 extended.

The issue is with PNG files.