5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 10:54 AM by John Hawkinson

computers will not speak to each other

andreahelenexcell Level 1

Has anyone found this? I have two computers both running Adobe CS5.5 when I save files on to my external hard drive and try to edit in the other computer the files are not visible.

If I open the files on the external hard drive they are only available if I am using the computer from which I saved them.

I never had this problem before I upgraded to latest version.

What I cant't understand is that this is an external hard drive so why are only the files I saved available when only using the computer I saved them on? It is important I can use both computers with hard drive.

Can anyhone help? It's driving me mad.

Andrea

• 1. Re: computers will not speak to each other
          John Hawkinson Level 5

This doesn't make sense.

It might help to tell us the operating system and the kind of external drive (usb? ESATA?), but really it shouldn't matter -- it should not happen no matter what your configuration.

Is it possible you are missing something obvious? Can you get a colleague to look at it for you?

• 2. Re: computers will not speak to each other
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you saving directly to the xternal drive, or copying to it?

• 3. Re: computers will not speak to each other
              Christopher_Engelhardt

Some Questions

1. What is the OS of each computer
              2. What brand is the external drive
              3. Are you saving or copying the files to the drive
              4. Do you recieve any error messages
              5. Do you use the software that comes with the drive
              6. Is the drive some how connected to both computers at the same time

Once these questions are answered people may be able to help.

• 4. Re: computers will not speak to each other
                macinbytes Level 4

Are you on a Mac or Windows? You may want to check how the drive is formatted and that permissions are being ignored so you can use the same drive between computers. This may require you to reformat the drive or adjust permissions. I think NTFS formatted drives are a little trickier.

Unless you are pushing around mega sized files I'd suggest using Dropbox to share between two machines. External drives can be really flakey and I've even have models designed for portability flake out on me and die within less than 1/4 their warranty period.

Obligatory dropbox signup link

http://db.tt/U74ojWH

On Mac it is as simple as going to the drive, hitting get info and checking "Ignore Ownership Permissions" on the bottom of the get info pane (this will not work on a Time Machine Backup.

On Windows assuming it is NTFS you'll have to go a little deeper into the permissions and probably are better off just reformatting to FAT32. I want to say that it has probably changed since my last venture into it which was the XP days.

What computer type and operating system you are using may be of help. External drive brand may also be helpful. Many of them come preformatted NTFS with Macs given an installation to MacFuse on the drive to install. MacFuse has has a few issues between which versions of Mac OS X and functionality from 10.5–10.7 is different. In some cases I've had to install forks or nonstandard versions that were not the release. Drives will almost always ship with an antiquated version of MacFuse.

• 5. Re: computers will not speak to each other
                  John Hawkinson Level 5
                  Unless you are pushing around mega sized files I'd suggest using Dropbox to share between two machines. External drives can be really flakey and I've even have models designed for portability flake out on me and die within less than 1/4 their warranty period.

Not just to be contrarian, I do feel like using a tried-and-true network device (AFP, SMB) is likely to be more reliable than Dropbox, but apparently some people (perhaps not a statistically significant number?) are using a Dropbox workflow for InDesign without problems. (And we see people with weird AFP and SMB problems on a somewhat regular basis, but it's hard to judge the population size).

Definitely moving an external disk seems an undesirable way to do it...