8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 12:14 PM by Arrakis

music video effect question

Arrakis Level 1

Hullo,   Im wondering how the effect at about 20 seconds is done in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFxFOGHmiFM&feature=related.  Th part where the girl and guy are dancing against a coloured background.  Is this done with green screen?  If so how is the white halo effect created? Ive seen this effect a lot in videos from the 90s.   Can this be done with rotoscoping? 

• 1. Re: music video effect question
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You're asking about two separate things: 1) how to separate the person from the background and 2) how to create a glow around the separated item.

You can separate a foreground item from the background in many ways. Color keying (i.e., using a green screen) is likely what was used here.

You can create a glow around an item in many ways. One way is the Outer Glow layer style.

Since you're new to After Effects, I strongly recommend that you work your way through the basic learning materials before trying to use After Effects.

• 2. Re: music video effect question
            Arrakis Level 1

Hi thanks for the reply.  Im not that new and Ive been using after effects already for several months now so I pretty much already know the basics from tuts completed and books read but thanks for the advise.

• 3. Re: music video effect question
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

asukulu wrote:

Im not that new and Ive been using after effects already for several months now so I pretty much already know the basics from tuts completed and books read...

I've been using AE for fiteen years.  I look up things about AE all the time.  The point here: several months is pretty insignificant when learning AE.  The nature of your initial questions are a dead giveaway.

• 4. Re: music video effect question
                bogiesan Level 4

asukulu wrote:

Can this be done with rotoscoping?

Yes. Why is that the technique you want to use to do the effect?

• 5. Re: music video effect question
                  Arrakis Level 1

Congats Im so happy for you    A dead give away for what exactly? I wasnt aware I was hiding anything.   Like hullo Im an amateur woop de doo.  The point here: I am well aware of knowledge bases and they dont answer specifics, I asked a specific question and wanted a specific answer period. 

• 6. Re: music video effect question
                    bogiesan Level 4

asukulu wrote:

Congats Im so happy for you    A dead give away for what exactly? I wasnt aware I was hiding anything.   Like hullo Im an amateur woop de doo.  The point here: I am well aware of knowledge bases and they dont answer specifics, I asked a specific question and wanted a specific answer period. 

Actually, you asked three questions:

> Is this done with green screen? <

> If so how is the white halo effect created? <

> Can this be done with rotoscoping? <

But you have not answered mine:

> Yes. Why is that the technique you want to use to do the effect?<

...which will help us guide you to a reasonable explanation for you level of comprehension and patience.

You get thick skin — like me and LaRonde have — as a result of making a living in the effects, compositing and animation business.

• 7. Re: music video effect question
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Okay, pal, here are your "direct answers period", in the order you asked them:

Yes.

With a duplicate chroma key layer, expanding the matte with the Simple Choker and using the Fill effect, then applying a blur and a blend mode.  Todds's Outer Glow suggestion is more straightforward.  There are typically a few ways to skin a cat in AE.

Yes.

Are we good to go now, bud?

• 8. Re: music video effect question
                        Arrakis Level 1

Thanks Todd for your helpful response. I shall try your suggestions