15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 10:18 PM by Ehemaliger Kunde

Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?

Rectro

Hello.

I have a iOne display 2 calibrator, Im using Photoshop CS5, and viewing pictures in the standard windows photo viewer.  Im producing digital art to be primaraly viewed on the web.

Recently Iv been working on a project within Photoshop to get the best post work done. Today I calibrate my monitor  and found pictures viewed within PS different from windows viewer by the fact that PS apears to have more contrast and Saturation.  I open the same image in Internet explorer and its different again by being even more saturated plus contrast, which one is correct?

In Windows Color Managment The ICC profile made by ione is set to the monitor, and in Advanced tab the Device profile is set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, everything els is system default.

Within PS iv set the Colour settings to the ione made profile.  Using Proof for RGB monitor shows no difference.  If I have PS, IE and windows viewer showing the same image at the same time, and I change the ICC profiles, all three images are effected, yet non of them match?

I havent a clue whats going on, and what app is using what colour managment.  I want to use PS to get the best ballance for the Web viewer, the problem is which is correct?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Within PS iv set the Colour settings to the ione made profile. 

Please post a screenshot of your Edit > Color Settings.

Do you embed the profile in the images on saving?

• 2. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Boy, you messed this up

Rectro wrote:

In Windows Color Managment The ICC profile made by ione is set to the monitor, and in Advanced tab the Device profile is set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, everything els is system default.

So which one is it? It should be the i1 profile, not sRGB. But aside from that, you don't have to set anything in Windows Color Management. The calibrator will do it for you. Recalibrate, and leave everything alone. Don't do anything.

Within PS iv set the Colour settings to the ione made profile.  Using Proof for RGB monitor shows no difference.

Second mistake. Again, you don't "set" anything, use a standard working space, in your case (and generally for web) sRGB. Don't set your monitor profile as working space, that's not where it belongs. All that accomplishes is to disable all color management.

Short story: The calibrator makes a profile that is automatically set as system default for that monitor. Photoshop will find it there and use it to display the image. No user intervention required.

Even shorter: don't do so much, you just mess it up, just calibrate and leave it alone.

Remember to embed the sRGB profile in the finished file.

• 3. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?
              Rectro Level 1

Some images when opened within PS do state that the colour profile does not match the current colour workspace.  It discards the photos profile, and will apear in PS with slightly more saturation. that whats view  in windowsviewer with that profile still in place.  However other photos, like the ones im working on do not state there is any embedded profile.

comparison 3.jpg

comparison 4.jpg

comparison.jpg

comparison 2.jpg

• 4. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

D Fosse already pointed stuff out …

But still: What gave you the idea to set the monitor profile as the RGB Working Space?

• 5. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?

Rectro, here are the color settings you want:

color settings.png

• 6. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?

Christoph, it's all over the internet. It's easy to see why: it effectively disables all color management in Photoshop, so it suddenly matches the non-color-managed apps...problem solved..

• 7. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?

Rectro, If you have everything set up correctly, Photoshop and Windows Photo Viewer should match. They are both fully color managed and will honor the embedded document profile and use the monitor profile to correct for the display.

Firefox is also color managed, so I recommend that.

With Internet Explorer there will always be a difference because it does not use the monitor profile. The difference can be small or large depending on your monitor.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

You mean … there’s stuff on the internet that might not meet some of the stricter requirements with regards to reasonability?

• 9. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?

Yes, I know it seems unlikely, but there you go...someone should do something...

• 10. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?
                            Rectro Level 1

In the advanced Tab for Windows Colour Managment it was already set to sRGB, I dont know what uses this, I can only asume every app uses it that can, when there hasnt been an asigned profile, like from the ione Display 2.  I set Photoshop to this as asumed Windows explorer was using it, all very confusing to me.

I read that IE does not use a profile, yet the ICC profile made by iONE effects everything.  Im looking at Windows viewer picture, the same one in PS and then in IE and wondering which one is accurate to how I wish web viewers to see it according how iv edited the image in PS.

D Fosse, thanks I applied them settings and now windows photo viewer and photo match, but IE is always with more saturation and contrast.  By using the proof RGB monitor it looks closer to that on web, I asume im doing this correct.  Iv never even known untill today that a profile is or can be embedded into the image itself, or even how iv done it?

Am I correct to asume then that if all apps that can be mannaged are set to the same as as is set in the Windows Colour Managament/ Advanced tab for Device profile, and then a custom profile has be set for the monitor, it overides the Device profile?  Also what is the viewing condition for?

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?
                              Noel Carboni Level 8

Rectro wrote:

I read that IE does not use a profile, yet the ICC profile made by iONE effects everything. 

What you're likely sensing is that the calibration part of the process, where the gamma/brightness information is loaded into the video card, is affecting everything, system-wide.  IE9 absolutely does NOT use the monitor profile for doing color transforms.  So what you get is incomplete color-management when displaying things in IE9.  The only way to get full color-management out of IE9 is to have a monitor that faithfully reproduces the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space, because IE9 assumes the output is sRGB.

As mentioned, other browsers like Firefox and Safari do more complete jobs of color-management, in that they take into account the device color space.  Firefox, with a specific settings change, even color-manages non-image web page elements (slick!).

And yes, it's normal for Sytem default (sRGB IEC61966-2.1) to show up in the Advanced tab as the default Device profile.  I have begun to think that setting is like the Working Space setting in Photoshop - it shows a preference and gives the system something to use if it can't come up with a specific device profile under some unknown condition.  But the monitor profile that matters is what's showing for your particular monitor in the Devices tab.  It sounds like you have that part set up right.

-Noel

• 12. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?

Rectro wrote:

windows photo viewer and photo match, but IE is always with more saturation and contrast.  By using the proof RGB monitor it looks closer to that on web

Yes, this is all normal. IE will usually be off a bit. And proofing to Monitor RGB is a simulation of how it will look without color management.

The point that Noel makes above, about the difference between calibration and profiling, is an important one. It confuses a lot of people at first.

Another thing that might help keeping the concepts of color management clear, is this: Don't focus on the individual pieces, the individual profiles. Focus on the process, the relationship. The important thing is the translation between the profiles. The profile is only there to facilitate that translation.

So you have a source profile, which in this case is the document profile, sRGB. That's a standard color space. Then you want to display that on your monitor, which does not have a standard color space, but a rather irregular one that is specific to that particular monitor.  That's why all monitors display differently.

The calibrator measures the monitor and makes a full description of its particular characteristics (after it has been calibrated). This is the monitor profile. So what happens then is that the source profile is converted, translated, to this destination profile. The result is that the file displays correctly, on all calibrated systems, because they all have this sRGB file translated to their individual monitor profiles.

So you can see it matters which profile goes where, and that the two should not be confused.

Iv never even known untill today that a profile is or can be embedded into the image itself, or even how iv done it?

The document profile is normally embedded by Photoshop. But you can choose to not embed it, either in the Save dialog or through Save For Web (where the default is to not embed). There are checkboxes for this.

If you don't embed, color managed applications will either assign a profile or not do anything at all, just send the numbers straight through.

• 13. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?
                                  Rectro Level 1

Thanks to everyone that has posted.

• 14. Re: Colour calibration which is correct PS, Windows viewer or IE?
                                    Lundberg02 Level 3

Sigh. Pierre, we need that FAQ on device dependent and independent profiles,calibartion, NOT USING THE MONITOR PROFILE AS A WORKING SPACE, AND NOT USING A COLOR SPACE AS A MONITOR PROFILE.

Maybe that should be on the internet.