14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 2:57 AM by katty000007

Flash video doesnt fuction on server

katty000007 Level 1

Have downloaded trial version of Flash CS5.5.

In Flash I converted a FLV Video into SWF Datei (Action Sript 3 /  Flash Player 9.0.124  / chose the skin that was suggested by Flash. Have also downloaded latest Flash player)

Published SWF and HTML and saved FLV File.

If I load the HTML into local Browser it works perfectly.

If I load the HTML Datei

into IIS 6 on local computer or

into IIS 7 on local computer or

upload to Hoster with IIS 7 or

upload to Hoster with linux Server

the Video is invisible

I have also checked the mime Type (.flv video/x-flv) on both IIS 6 and 7 on local computers so the problem doesnt lie there.

Theres no point in me buying the programm if I cant get this thing to work.

Please please help me.

Thanks in advance!!!!

• 1. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

what's your url (and make sure you uploaded your flvplayback skin.swf).

• 3. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server

you need to upload Hom.-Seidel verschlüsselt.flv and change the path to that flv from an absolute path to a relative path.

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server
              katty000007 Level 1

Oh obviously I've got not idea! How large should a 5 Minute FLA  Video roughly be?? The one I have is huge.....

• 5. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server

there's no hard-and-fast rule.  a large file size in a 5min video is going to have a high bitrate and that means people with insufficient band-width are going to see your video start/stop repeatedly unless you preload it.

in any case, the size of the flv is not the current problem.  the problem is must move that video off your computer and onto the internet, preferably on the same server as your swf.

• 6. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server
                  katty000007 Level 1

OK, but that doesnt explain why I cant view the video on my local computer on iis 6 or 7. The origingal FLA Video is in the same directory.

• 7. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server

i can't see what you're doing wrong on your local computer so i'm unable to pinpoint that problem but most likely you have a security sandbox error and/or possibly a path/name problem when trying to play that flv locally.

• 8. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server
                      katty000007 Level 1

"............you need to upload Hom.-Seidel verschlüsselt.flv and change the path to that flv from an absolute path to a relative path............"

How did u get the name of the original file? (Hom.-Seidel verschlüsselt.flv)

And in the HTML file there is no path to Hom.-Seidel verschlüsselt.flv.

The paths are to ross1.swf

Sorry but as I say I have no idea what I´m doing and it all seems too complicated to be true.

I worked with flash about 7 years ago and it seemed much much easier. I think I'll just give up its taking far far too long to fathom out.

Thanks anyway

• 9. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server

i'm using a debug flash player and can see errors when i navigate to your website using my browser.  flash is throwing an error because it can't load that flv.

you are using an flvplayback component to (try and) play that flv.  you probably assign the component's source property in the properties panel.

if you click on your component and check the properties panel, scroll to source, you'll see an absolute path:  \\JILLIAN\Data (G)\online\internet\kunden\rossmann\video\Hom.-Seidel verschlüsselt.flv

you should change that to Hom.-Seidel verschlüsselt.flv

then upload that flv to your server in the same directory with your swf and its embedding html.

• 10. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server
                          katty000007 Level 1

Ok I see what u mean.

Now the only problem is that the flv is so big (165 MB) with a transfer rate of 220kb (yes I live in a tiny village and my provider promises a rate of 16000 but delivers only 2000) so I´m sure my FTP will time out. I'll try and find a smaller flv to test this stuff on.

I'm absolutely knackered now and havent got the nerves. It will all seem easier in the morning so I'll say good night now and sweet dreams and see u maybe tomorrow.

T H A N K S

• 11. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server

sounds good.  and, don't get discouraged.

p.s.  please mark helpful/correct responses, if there are any.

• 12. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server
                              adninjastrator Level 4

Something that is reasonable to download... guesstimate a max of 5MB per minute or so.... so a 5 min flv video should be about 25MB.

• 13. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server
                                adninjastrator Level 4

Now the only problem is that the flv is so big (165 MB) with a transfer rate of 220kb (yes I live in a tiny village and my provider promises a rate of 16000 but delivers only 2000) so I´m sure my FTP will time out. I'll try and find a smaller flv to test this stuff on.

Video file size... of and by itself, is really not a deciding factor as to whether or not to use a video file. It's the video file bitrate that really needs to be considered. For your review... an older article I wrote:

Video bit rate

Video bitrate is the minimum amount of data that must continually flow into the video player in order for the player to display that particular video uninterrupted. If that supply of data is not high enough, the video player will stop…. Wait for more data to download, then resume. The video bitrate is set as a parameter when the video is encoded.

One of the principle of goal setting is to "Begin with the end in mind". In this case it'll be very hard to give good recommendations because the end is not defined. So I'll just make a few assumptions and you can correct me as needed.
                                First, I'll assume that since you are converting to Flash, you want to deliver this video over the Internet. If that's true, then we'll have to make some assumptions on the Internet connection download speeds of your potential viewers. Let's just say that most have at least a 1.5Mb connection or faster.
                                OK, that would mean that a video bitrate of half that should usually provide a video download that is not interupped by buffering (most of the time anyway). So assuming a video bitrate of 750kbps, what would the optimum display dimensions be?
                                Before we decide, here's a little info about bitrate. For highest quality playback, the video bitrate is tied directly to the display dimensions. That is, the larger the display, the more incoming data is required to properly display the video. Think of bitrate in terms of a can of paint. If you have 1 quart of paint, you might be able to do a very nice job on a 32 X 24 foot area. But if you try to stretch that same amount of paint out over a 64 X 48 foot area, the coverage will not be nearly as good and you get poor results.
                                In the same way, a video displayed at 640 X 480 pixels will require 4 times the bitrate as a video displayed at 320 X 240 pixels to produce the same quality. So for example a video with a bitrate of 100kbps, displayed at 160 X 120 will produce the same quality results as a video with a bitrate of 1600kbps if displayed at 640 X 480.
                                So to boil it all down, video bitrates of 750kbps, even up to 1000kbps can usually get delivered of the Internet on most high speed connections. Higher bit rates may work for really fast connections but will cause problems for viewers with slower connections. Video display size has a direct bearing on the final quality. In the 750 to 1000kbps range, display size should be kept around 450 or 500 width max (and whatever height the aspect ratio calls for). Yes it can be displayed larger, but the quality will suffer.
                                Sound like your audio settings are fine, especially for Internet delivery.
                                As for framerate, maintain the original raw video framerate for best results. So if the video was shot at 24fps, leave it.
                                As for video converters, do you have the Flash 8 Video Converter? It works just fine for video to be delivered over the Internet. Remember, you are taking a Cadillac version of video (h.264 HD) and stuffing it into a Chevy body to get it to work over the Internet.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 14. Re: Flash video doesnt fuction on server
                                  katty000007 Level 1

Wow thanks, I was just concerned about actually seeing something on the screen and not even thinking that far ahead. Knowing how big the Video should be is also a great help.

The most interesting result of all is that I downloaded a Flash 8 Video Converter. Followed all the steps they advised and hey presto I can now view the video on all platforms. Its not running very smoothly but with the Info u have given me I can now work on the size and bitrate.

I think Adobe CS5.5 is probably a fantastic tool for the professionals but for a novice it seems to be just a minefield.

Again T H A N K S  and I`ll keep u posted about how I get on.