7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 10:10 AM by gator soup

Help! Background color not white

Cinda01

The background color in Photoshop CS5 64 bit will not go to white - only a cream color.  It's fine in 32 bit. 

(Windows 7 - 64 bit)

• 1. Re: Help! Background color not white
          Noel Carboni Level 8

It might be helpful if you'd better define what you mean by "background color", and where you expect to see it.  Ideally, a screen capture would be best.  Use the little camera icon in the web interface to the forum to post images.

If you're talking about any pure white color in a document, it sounds like a problem with Photoshop misinterpreting your monitor profile, though this is the first I've heard of it working in 32 bit but not 64 bit.  What profile do you have associated with your monitor?  This is done through the Color Management function of Windows 7.  Is it a profile custom made by a calibration/profiling device, or perhaps one delivered by the monitor manufacturer?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Help! Background color not white
            PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello!

To reset the colors, hit D, you'll have a black and white colors for Foreground and Background.

Make sure also that you are in RGB mode.

• 3. Re: Help! Background color not white
              Cinda01 Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but I have tried that & it doesn't work. The 'white' stays yellowish.  I've also tried going into color palette and tried putting in the 'white' numbers... that doesn't work either.

• 4. Re: Help! Background color not white
                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

And you do not have proof enabled (CTRL+Y)?

If not, try to look at your color settings, as per Noel's suggestion.

• 5. Re: Help! Background color not white
                  Cinda01 Level 1

By background color I mean on the sidebar where you can switch from background to foreground, white is not white - it's yellowish.  If I start a new document to have a white background, it's yellowish, not white.  When I go to Color Picker there is no white.  I do not have proof enabled.  I've manually entered color settings for white.  It shows the correct settings.  I have several other programs (Lightroom, Publisher, etc.) all of which have a true white.  I also compared all my settings in 32 bit w/64 bit and they're identical.  I'm using 32 bit fine, so I guess I'll just keep doing that, but it is a mystery. 

Thanks for everyone's input!

• 6. Re: Help! Background color not white
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

What is your current monitor color profile set to?  This is done in the operating system's Color Management feature.

You can try swapping a known good profile in for the monitor profile you're currently using to see if it works around the problem.  If that helps, your monitor profile will be shown to be the problem.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Help! Background color not white
                      gator soup Level 4

>> If I start a new document to have a white background, it's yellowish, not white.  When I go to Color Picker there is no white.

"whites appear yellow" is a sure sign of a bad monitor profile http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/319/319456.html, the clue is if the Eyedropper tool samples white as 255, 255, 255 and it is not displaying white

the fix would be to run your 'calibrator' routine to build a new monitor profile and target a 6500 kelvin d/65, 2.2 gamma (to start)

also check any monitor hardware settings to be sure they match your target profile (6500, 2.2), if applicable