3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 2:34 PM by bogiesan

Help, mostly with rendering size, not file size, actual size

mjporembs

I made a short 4 second movie in after effects cs5, there are really no fancy effects, just a car with wheels turning driving across the screen, the size is super small at 167px width x 315px height. It's 30 fps.  It's from a set of three, I have no major issues with the other two but for some reason, when I render this one, it comes out super blurry/pixelated and the size is twice of what it should be, it's not too size of how I built it, and I can't resize it.  I think it looks so bad because it isn't coming out the right size, but I can not for the life of me figure out why. This is for my job, and I have to show it to the higher ups so I need it to look as crisp as possible. Any ideas what would make this happen? I've rendered so many different times, i brought it into Adobe media encoder, I feel like I am just missing some little switch, but can't find it. I render quicktime as an animation, it's so small, it doesn't matter if I do animation.  I've tried at the default settings of best and lossless, I've changed things, I am not sure what else I should do, anybody have any insight? I can provide more info if needed, thanks so much in advanced!

• 1. Re: Help, mostly with rendering size, not file size, actual size
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Any ideas what would make this happen?

Perhaps this:

167px width x 315px height

You are using "crooked" sizes which may cause scaling in teh output CoDec itself. Completely unrelated to AE itself, but many CoDecs prefer their footage to be to sizes which are multiples of 2 or 4 due to how their compression math works. Adiitionally, for similar reasons, whatever player software you are using may also scale your clips. Try a "good" size by adding 1px in eitehr dimension and I'm sure things will look better. If they don't, then you may be making a mess of fields somewhere or not rendering at Best Quality.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help, mostly with rendering size, not file size, actual size
            mjporembs Level 1

Thank you! I  just tried that, I made it 168 x 316, same issue, poor quality and when I play it in QT it's basically the height of my monitor and I can't resize it smaller, it's so frustrating.

• 3. Re: Help, mostly with rendering size, not file size, actual size
              bogiesan Level 4

167x315 is your comp size for all three comps and you know this absolutely.

Your render settings are exactly the same for each of the three comps and you know this absolutely.

You shoudl be able to examine the properties of the output movies by either brining them back into AE or using the inspector in QT. Each will show a movie size and a display size. A tiny movie, like 167x315, will look awful if played at normal viewing size of 640x480 because it will be scaled up by twice, each pixel will be four times its native size. That can happen when a flag gets set in QT to display a movie at full screen size which is different from the falge that sets it to display full size.

Double check everything.

You shoudl be able to render out comp 1, which is good, and then dleete everything in comp 1 and fill it up with stuff copied and pasted out of comp 3. Then you use the exact same render settings again.