2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2008 2:08 AM by Mouseclick Multimedia

rectangular to polar via imaging lingo?

Mouseclick Multimedia
      Hi all,

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried to reproduce the Photoshop Filter 'polar coordinates/Rectangular to Polar' on the fly in Director with imaging lingo? I'm making a program that projects on a globe, the static images are easily created in Photoshop with above filter, but ideally I would give the users the possibility to project dynamic stuff, such as opening hours, events, company logo's, etc on the globe. The extra step through Photoshop is thus impossible, so I was wondering if anyone ever tried this through imaging lingo. My math skills are not good enough to figure out this one for myself I'm afraid...

thanks for any input!

Johan-Belgium
        • 1. Re: rectangular to polar via imaging lingo?
          Level 7
          Mouseclick Multimedia wrote:
          > I just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried to reproduce the
          > Photoshop Filter 'polar coordinates/Rectangular to Polar' on the fly
          > in Director with imaging lingo? I'm making a program that projects on
          > a globe, the static images are easily created in Photoshop with above
          > filter, but ideally I would give the users the possibility to project
          > dynamic stuff, such as opening hours, events, company logo's, etc on
          > the globe. The extra step through Photoshop is thus impossible, so I
          > was wondering if anyone ever tried this through imaging lingo. My
          > math skills are not good enough to figure out this one for myself I'm
          > afraid...

You could use a 3-d member and apply the image to an actual model of a
          sphere. That way, you could also have it rotating.

Andrew

• 2. Re: rectangular to polar via imaging lingo?
            Mouseclick Multimedia Level 1
            It has to rotate, but using a 3d member won't do it. The setup is actually a real transparent globe. Underneath is a projector that projects on a mirror, and above that a special 'fisheye'-type lens that projects the image on the inside of the transparent globe. Thus I need the image to be converted to polar in order to have it look 'normal' once projected on the globe. For instance: if you want to project an image of the eart, the original image would have the nort pole at the top of the image. When projected in the globe however, the nortpole has to be in the center of the image. The globe I'm talking about is one of the firm 'global imagination' on this website.