7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 3:14 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Exporting Text Layers

kwdelre Level 1

I have a composition built in AE with one layer of another compsition and 5 text layers that are animated. When I choose File > Export > Adobe Premiere Pro Project... and open it in Premiere, only the other compostion layer is there with no text layers. I have no clue why this is happening. Thanks for any help you can provide.

CS4

• 1. Re: Exporting Text Layers
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Any reason why you can't render the AE animation in a high-quality codec, then import the file into Premiere?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting Text Layers
            bogiesan Level 4

I've looked through the help system, I don't see anything that implies text layers should not come across as expected.

Dunno. I've never used premiere.

• 3. Re: Exporting Text Layers
              kwdelre Level 1

Wasn't sure that would be acceptable. Is that not a little like making a copy of a copy eventually when rendered in Media Encoder?

If you think it won't loose any quality from that I will give it a try. Thanks

• 4. Re: Exporting Text Layers
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If you think it won't loose any quality from that I will give it a try.

You won't if you choose a suitable intermediate format like image sequences or Quicktime Animation. you seriously need to read up. These are basics of any production workflow. Other than that - text layers not coming over is expected. They are a specific parametric layer type that can only exist in Ae (along with shape layers) and in reverse, for the same reason Premiere titles cannot exist in AE. Same hewre - you have some reading up to do. It's all in the help files.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Exporting Text Layers
                  bogiesan Level 4

Mylenium wrote:

text layers not coming over is expected. They are a specific parametric layer type that can only exist in Ae (along with shape layers) and in reverse, for the same reason Premiere titles cannot exist in AE. Same hewre - you have some reading up to do. It's all in the help files.

Mylenium

If this information is in the help files, it is not in the "Export to Premiere" section, which is where it should be, and it's not readily findable by searching for "exporting text layers," either.

I found nothing about the exclusive characteristics of text and shape layers in the descripotions of text or shape layers that exclude exporting. I'm not reading every word of every page. What I'm searching for is that precise feature of text and shape layers. I found this, which is counterindicative from your statements unless one has access to contradictory information about going to and from Premiere. Here's a bunch of stuff that the OP probably found and, based on this information, he was certainly expecting text layers to work as implied, perhaps not as promised.

Text layers are synthetic layers, meaning that a text layer does not use a footage item as its source—though you can convert text information from some footage items into text layers. Text layers are also vector layers. As with shape layers and other vector layers, text layers are always continuously rasterized, so when you scale the layer or resize the text, it retains crisp, resolution-independent edges. You cannot open a text layer in its own Layer panel, but you can work with text layers in the Composition panel.

You can copy text from other applications such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, or any text editor, and paste it into a text layer in After Effects. Because After Effects also supports Unicode characters, you can copy and paste these characters between After Effects and any other application that also supports Unicode (which includes all Adobe applications).Text formatting is included in the Source Text property. Use the Source Text property to animate formatting and to change the characters themselves (for example, change the letter b to theletter c).

Note: Some kinds of exporting don’t involve rendering and are for intermediate stages in a workflow, not for final output. For example, you can export a project as an Adobe Premiere Pro project by choosing File > Export > Adobe Premiere Pro Project. The project information is saved without rendering. In general, data transferred through Dynamic Link is not rendered.Working with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects

Adobe Premiere Pro is designed to capture, import, and edit movies. After Effects is designed to create motion graphics, apply visual effects, composite visual elements, perform color correction, and perform other post-production tasks for movies.

You can easily exchange projects, compositions, sequences, tracks, and layers between After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro:

If you have Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium or Master Collection, you can also do the following:

• Start Adobe Premiere Pro from within After Effects and capture footage for use in After Effects. (See Use Adobe Premiere Pro for capture (Production Premium and Master Collection only).)
                  • Use Adobe Dynamic Link to work with After Effects compositions in Adobe Premiere Pro without first rendering them. A dynamically linked composition appears as a clip in Adobe Premiere Pro.
                  • Use Adobe Dynamic Link to work with Adobe Premiere Pro sequences in After Effects without first rendering them. A dynamically linked sequence appears as a footage item in After Effects.
                  • Start After Effects from within Premiere Pro and create a new composition with settings that match the settings of your Premiere Pro project.
                  • Select a set of clips in Adobe Premiere Pro and convert them to a composition in After Effects.

For information on using Dynamic Link with After Effects and Premiere Pro, see Dynamic Link and After Effects and the relevant sections of Adobe Premiere Pro Help.

For a video tutorial about working with After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro using Dynamic Link, go to the Adobe website.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Exporting Text Layers
                    kwdelre Level 1

Thank you for understanding my inquiry on this and not assuming that I did not try to answer it myself. Your post is much appreciated.

• 7. Re: Exporting Text Layers
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

One thing that isn't mentioned in the Help document (and should be) is that the feature exporting a Premiere Pro project from After Effects uses exactly the same code as that used for copying and pasting between After Effects and Premiere Pro.

This means that you can use the text and tables here for determing what comes across. This sentence is crucial: "You cannot copy shape, text, camera, light, or adjustment layers to Adobe Premiere Pro."

As bogiesan says, there are lots of ways to move data between these applications, depending on what you're doing.