4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 3:16 AM by Peter Spier

Variable text and InDesign book file

73TransAm Level 1

I have a general InDesign question as it applies to an InDesign Book file.

I have built documents with "Variable Text" fields based on the file name.

Is it possible for the variable to pickup the filename from the filename of the book file after the documents have been added to a book ?

• 1. Re: Variable text and InDesign book file
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't believe so. And it would be complex, given that a file can belong to more than one book.

• 2. Re: Variable text and InDesign book file
            73TransAm Level 1

But I notice a set of Synchronization options for the book and Text Variable is one of the options. 

• 3. Re: Variable text and InDesign book file
              lilia@ Level 2

73TransAm wrote:

But I notice a set of Synchronization options for the book and Text Variable is one of the options. 

that option would most likely be for chapter numbers and the like

• 4. Re: Variable text and InDesign book file
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sychronization works by redefining same-named styles, variables, etc. to all use the same definition as the source document, so for example you might have a variable named <header> which in one file was a running header (character style) type, in another a running header (character style), but based on a different character style, and in yet another document is would be based on last on page instead of first on page, or a similar situation. Synching would cause the variable to look for the same information across all docs.

That said, it sounds like this might be useful for adding a book file name, but there is a subtle difference. In the case of a normal variable, the information it picks up must be in the document where the variable is located. A running header variable ont he first page of a file in a book, for example, cannot pick up the information from the last page of the previous file in the book. Variables are self-contained within the files.

You COULD define a custom text variable, perhaps with the book filename, and add it to all the documents, but it will not automatically update if you change the name of the book file.