10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 10:27 AM by Grenadianexpat

PE9, Problems with balancing Audio

Grenadianexpat

I am attempting to create a DVD project with a Menu front page. with the option to view the whole movie, or three individual scenes.

I can use the pre-existing main and scene menues. But whether utilising the sound track that comes with the provided menu, or importing my own sound track the difference between the menu volume and the content of the various scenes is vastly different. I have attempted to adjust various volume controls, which all start at 0db but the scene volume never seems to go up, nor can I  reduce the volume of the menue music.

The video capture was done from a screen recording with the volume seetings at max, and other than within this package whilst attempting to create the movie it plays fine. It is only in combination with the menue part of the program that the volume becomes diminished.

Is there ANY way to regulate the menue sound track please?

• 1. Re: PE9, Problems with balancing Audio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like what you're saying is that the menu music is much louder than the video music or vice versa, right?

The first question is How did you set the audio levels for your videos? You should never trust the sound coming out of your speakers. Instead, as I show you in my books, you should always go to the Window menu and open the Audio Mixer. This will show you the volume levels of your movie. You should always keep the volume levels below zero, ideally never peaking in the yellow but absolutely never peaking in the red. Did you do this?

As for your menu background, that depends on the levels of the music you're using for a background. That, too, can vary tremendously, depending on where your music is coming from. I recommend opening any music you're going to use in a program like Audacity (a free download) and making sure the audio levels are balanced, not too soft and not too loud.

If you set your audio levels using meters rather than trusting what you hear from your speakers, your audio for your entire DVD should be pretty even.

• 2. Re: PE9, Problems with balancing Audio
            Grenadianexpat Level 1

Thanks, Yes, the Menu music is louder than the program sound track.....significantly..... I shall have to check out the Audacity program and see if I can use that to lower the volume of the Music I use to replace PE9's rendition, as I doubt I will find where the stock music for the menu's is located.

I am not adding a background track, this is the sound track of the film clip recorded off the screen and via the sound card from within Audials 9. The volume setting is always to the max when it is recorded within Audials (as recommended), so it is ... I guess.... at the level it was broadcast.

I did attempt to increase the sound track via the mixer, but even at maximum it barely reaches -18db.

So I think what needs to be done ... whether with Audacity or another method is to drop the volume of the Menu music to minimise the differential as th sound track cannot be increased ...  much.  I note the menu music does not show in the mixer when run in preview mode.

• 3. Re: PE9, Problems with balancing Audio
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, that's one way to do it.

Although your audio volume for your movie is way too low. You should increase it by right-clicking on the clips on your timeline, selecting Audio Gain and increasing the Gain level by about 7or 8 or whatever is needed. Your audio should be peaking at zero, not -18 db.

• 4. Re: PE9, Problems with balancing Audio
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As has been mentioned, one should adjust/attenuate the Volume of the WAV file used in the Menus, outside of PrE, say in Adobe Audition, or the free Audacity.

For general Volume adjustments, see this ARTICLE for various ways to accomplish that in PrE (for your movie's Audio).

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE9, Problems with balancing Audio
                  Grenadianexpat Level 1

Thank you both.

Audiacity WAS the way to go.

Modifying the gain of the substitute menu track gave me pretty equal volume levels.

Maybe the supplied tracks can be located and modified if you search hard enough in the PE9 folders, it's just a shame it doesn't seem to be alterable from the standard desk top.

• 6. Re: PE9, Problems with balancing Audio
                    Grenadianexpat Level 1

Just a follow up and a slight ammendement.

Steve's second response :

Well, that's one way to do it.

Although your audio volume for your movie is way too low. You should increase it by right-clicking on the clips on your timeline, selecting Audio Gain and increasing the Gain level by about 7or 8 or whatever is needed. Your audio should be peaking at zero, not -18 db.

Was actually the best aproach. In other words, bringing the volume of the track up to closer to the Menu clip. Audacity WAS useful, But in a subsequent project I have segmented the clip and ramped up the volume in some segments to balance out where certain passages were almost inadable. The right click and adjust accordingly is very useful.

• 7. Re: PE9, Problems with balancing Audio
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Personally, I adjust the Audio of the files used for Audio in my Menus to about -6 to -8 dB, as I only want them to be background, and not at the same level of the Audio in the Timeline.

For various methods of attenuating Audio levels, this ARTICLE mentions most of those methods. I am less a fan of adjusting the Gain, and concentrate on Volume, but that is just me. Some like Gain, due to the ease of use.

The tick with Audio is to use calibrated equipment, and settings. Recently, I broke from that, and used a different set of headphones, to do some Audio-editing. Though they were the same brand, as what I had calibrated to, they were a newer model. Their Levels were about +3dB higher, and that made a great difference. It was not until I posted the results to YouTube, that it became obvious to me, how I had gone wrong, and then I just changed out the equipment, re-did my Levels, and all was good. A great big "DUH!" on my part, and I posted of my error. Calibrate, and then stick to that. I knew better, but the subtle change in equipment blind-sided me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE9, Problems with balancing Audio
                        Grenadianexpat Level 1

All that sounds good, and worth looking into, but at the outset it was not a self created meue sound track I was refering to, but rather the ones that come with the menu's that PE supplies. Which.... I guess if you could find them within the program folders somewhere you could adjust them as well.

I think MY problem initially was that the film clip I wanted to utilize had been transmitted and recorded with a fairly low volume, so it was well below that of the supplied menu music. So raising the volume in the film clip meant that having set the volume on the TV or what ever you were viewing it on then became pretty consistant from Menu through to the closing titles.

In the latest project, the one I was enquiring about Aspect ratio to which you did mention what ultimately was the right method, I had to cut the sound track in several places and go as far as -5db for one section to +25db in another. Which was then compared both via the sound percieved, and the volume mixer db meter and within the constraints of the quality of audio provided sounded pretty OK.

• 9. Re: PE9, Problems with balancing Audio
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

All that sounds good, and worth looking into, but at the outset it was not a self created meue sound track I was refering to, but rather the ones that come with the menu's that PE supplies. Which.... I guess if you could find them within the program folders somewhere you could adjust them as well.

Those Levels (Volume) might work for many, but are not "set in stone." The Levels can be adjusted, to taste.

I find that Menu Audio, in general, is about +5dB louder, than I like. I have some strong feelings on Menu Audio - I feel that it should be background, and not even really be noticed by the viewer.

I hate to have to attenuate the Volume, when the Menus come up, only to have to then change the Volume up, for the "feature." Many, who produce DVD's, and especially in Hollywood, get it all wrong. They seem to want to "wake up" the viewer, with the Menu, and then have them strain to hear the main Video.

I also feel that many of the same folk want the LFE feed in DD 5.1 SS to knock them off their chairs, while the dialog is so low, that they cannot possible hear it.

That is a real "pet peave" of mine, and I rail against such Audio treatment. I cannot list the number of Hollywood titles, where the Center channel (dialog) should be bumped up, and the SFX on the LFE toned down. Many years ago, I caught a preview of a great Video for Disney's Epcot Center, for the Sweden exhibit. The dialog was OK, but then the SFX were totally deafening. I would guess that they were at about +50dB (about +150dB, or the sound of a 777 on takeoff, right next to your ears), above the Levels of the main Audio. One does not need to be floored, holding their bleeding ears, to get the point.

With Audio, one should strongly consider the purpose of the music/sounds. Why make the Levels so far above the general Levels, if that Audio is but background, or Audio "filler?"

Just my feelings,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE9, Problems with balancing Audio
                            Grenadianexpat Level 1

You are not alone with your peave.  Audio settings are problematic at best when watching Cable/ DVD sources,  Any time any music is played it invariably is too loud, and forces me to turn down the volume so as not to get black looks from the wife.  Plus nowadays as part of the "surround" sound experiencxe the volume will go through the roof with respect to explosions and mechanical devices grinding across the foreground. I am convinced those in charge of mixing desks have already damaged their ear drums and are hell bent on doing the same to everyone else.

Just under 5 decades ago I used to make sound tracks for educational films on a couple of stereo reel to reels, a record deck and a 5 channel mixer. Cut and splice was with a razor and cutting block. The VU meter (analog back then) was my best buddy.