13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 3:53 PM by JustLeep

Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful

JustLeep Level 1

Hello. I have peeked around the forums here for some help, but it doesn't seem my issue matches exactly.

I captured video of 8-bit video-game play off my desktop using CamStudio. The software saves it as an AVI. I'm not sure the exact resolution or framerate, but it's up there. Upon playback, all of the AVIs are smooth and accurate. Looks great.

However, when importing the video into my project to edit, it's very choppy -- even after I render it. When I export it as a finished project, it looks just as choppy. We're talking single-digit framerate at best, sometimes things are gone, other times they're doubled, etc.

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 8. I updated the software, as well as my GeForce 9300 GE graphics card, but it didn't fix things. I am running Windows Vista home premium on an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.4 GHz. 3326 MB Ram.

My new project settings are NTSC-DV-Standard 48 kHz.

I have tried closing all non-essential programs to save on memory (the program had been crashing a lot pre-update).

I do not know the speed of my hard drive(s), but I've never had issue using Premiere Elements before for other video projects. This is my first time capturing desktop video then trying to edit it, however.

I thought it may be because the files are too big; but even using one lone AVI, it still happens.

The one thing I noticed is that I captured the video around 668 x 608, which is obviously not the project resolution. However, it seems to auto-adjust in the window, so I don't know that that's the problem.

I would appreciate any help from you savvy forum users. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful
          Nash_John Level 3

Please install MediaInfo from the following location

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download

Put your AVI file into Mediainfo, and then reply with the details of your file

• 2. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm with John. If you're trying to work with FRAPS video, it's not likely it's going to work in Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful
              JustLeep Level 1

Hello, John. Thank you for your assistance. Here's what MediaInfo had to say about one of the AVIs (there were 8 in all I was trying to grab clips from):

Format                               : AVI
              Format/Info                          : Audio Video Interleave
              File size                            : 267 MiB
              Duration                             : 8mn 11s
              Overall bit rate                     : 4 550 Kbps

Video

ID                                   : 0
              Format                               : MS Video
              Codec ID                             : CRAM
              Codec ID/Info                        : Microsoft Video 1
              Duration                             : 8mn 11s
              Bit rate                             : 4 512 Kbps
              Width                                : 668 pixels
              Height                               : 608 pixels
              Display aspect ratio                 : 1.099
              Frame rate                           : 200.000 fps
              Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                   : 0.056
              Stream size                          : 264 MiB (99%)

Here are the details on one of the other AVIs. The difference in resolution is because the program has you manually set the window size for the capture.

File size                            : 897 MiB
              Duration                             : 21mn 35s
              Overall bit rate                     : 5 806 Kbps

Video

Format                               : MS Video
              Codec ID                             : CRAM
              Codec ID/Info                        : Microsoft Video 1
              Duration                             : 21mn 35s
              Bit rate                             : 5 767 Kbps
              Width                                : 680 pixels
              Height                               : 620 pixels
              Display aspect ratio                 : 1.097
              Frame rate                           : 200.000 fps
              Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                   : 0.068
              Stream size                          : 891 MiB (99%)
              • 5. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful
                JustLeep Level 1

Thank you for the links, Mr. Smith; I'm trying to digest them.

I'm still a little frustrated that I can't just take said AVIs and have them work. Especially since I spent a good 4 hours capturing everything, then at least that editing it into the 3-minute video I made. Just a bitter pill to swallow.

• 6. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful
                  JustLeep Level 1

After looking at the data you had me gather, Mr. Nash, as well as watching one of the videos John Smith linked to, I noticed something odd: The AVI was captured at 200fps. I did a test of the same game, captured at 30fps, and it worked WORLDS better. Maybe to the point of considering this "fixed."

I have to recapture/re-edit everything for my video, but at least I know what the main issue is/was. Thank goodness I was very meticulous in my shotlist, so it shouldn't take quite as long.

Thank you, gents, for your fast responses and good direction. I feel you guys taught me to fish, more than giving me a fish, which I really appreciate.

And to summarize succinctly: The default on CamStudio was to capture at 200fps, causing choppy video when edited/rendered through Premiere Elements. I changed CamStudio's settings to capture at 30fps, which I believe solved the issue.

(I also changed the codec from Microsoft Video 1 to Intel IYUV codec, and the quality from a default 70 to 100. Not sure if either of those helped, but I'll leave them there for now)

• 7. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful

Unfortunately, there is no single thing called an "AVI." AVIs can be made up of any of thousands of codecs, as John's links above discuss. Most are designed for anything but editing -- and programs like Premiere Elements simply can't digest them.

The CRAM codec is definitely in that category. As its name implies, it's designed to squeeze the most video into the smallest space -- unlike the DV codec, which is designed to provide maximum editability.

• 8. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful
                      JustLeep Level 1

My codec options for this capture software are Microsoft Video 1, Intel IYUV, and Radius's Cinepac Codec. Which do you think is best, Steve? Like I said above, I switched to Intel IYUV kind of at random.

Here is the info on the latest AVI, which worked MUCH better:

File size                            : 327 MiB
                      Duration                             : 1mn 2s
                      Overall bit rate                     : 44.2 Mbps

Video

Format                               : YUV
                      Codec ID                             : IYUV
                      Codec ID/Info                        : Intel Indeo iYUV 4:2:0
                      Duration                             : 1mn 2s
                      Bit rate                             : 44.2 Mbps
                      Width                                : 856 pixels
                      Height                               : 824 pixels
                      Display aspect ratio                 : 1.039
                      Frame rate                           : 30.000 fps
                      Color space                          : YUV
                      Compression mode                     : Lossless
                      Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                   : 2.087
                      Stream size                          : 327 MiB (100%)

I notice it lists "Compression mode: Lossless," while the info on the one using CRAM as you say, didn't even have that section. I also remember one of the links mentioning the importance of lossless compression. Perhaps that helped matters, too.

• 9. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>taught me to fish, more than giving me a fish

Glad you found the problem and are able to edit

Now, if you want to discuss catching fish... or snake on a plane... or anything else to take a break from banging your head on the keyboard over editing issues, head on over to the Lounge

Lots of banter, most of it polite, and the (virtual) beer is always free

• 10. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful
                          JustLeep Level 1

Thanks for the invite. After I catch up on this capture/editing, I may head in that direction. I'm a fan of intelligent banter.

• 11. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>fan of intelligent banter

Grin... now where in my message did you see any reference to that sort of thing?

Yep... stop on by, good for a laugh... or to learn somethng new that you never knew you needed to know

Just be careful when you enter the first time, the building contractor didn't get the steps 'quite' right, so mind you don't stub your toes

• 12. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful

Unfortunately, none of those are likely to work well in Premiere Elements.

But it's being compounded by the fact that your video is 856x824 pixels, which doesn't match any of the standard camcorder format perimeters.

You may want to consider another program for editing this video. Ulead's Video Studio is more tolerant of these odd codecs, so it may be a good choice.

But in my experience you're just never going to get this square peg to fit in Premiere Elements' round hole, and you're going to drive yourself crazy trying. Sorry.

• 13. Re: Please help! .AVI looks fine, but playback is awful
                                JustLeep Level 1

It's been far from a smooth process, but it has worked at times. Oddly, the same settings will produce a beautifully editable clip one minute, and then literally 10 minutes later the next video won't even be recognized as a legit file. It's a grind, but I'm stubborn. I have 14 more shots left to capture (about 1/3 the total list). I just want to bang them out and be done with it.

I'm pretty sure I won't be doing this again. I'll check out Ulead's, thanks.