3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 1:18 PM by Jotazu

Anyone can help with the trouble in controlling links colors.

Jotazu

I am new here. I came to ask a question. I am learning to use Dreamweaver 8. I have number of pages designed for my first site and now I am linking them all together. I use the page properties to set the colors for links, active links and rollover links. All looks great in the Dreamweaver. Then I try it in browsers and there links are changing colors not as I have it designed. Instead of yellow and green I have violet and red. Funny thing is that not all links look like this, but I can’t find any reason why some are as I designed and some are not. Even more, when I am playing with the files, I am checking code, then I see again in a browser and then again I do some experiments trying for example rewrite code and then again I check in the browser, more and more links have this strange and not designed color. I am using pretty old computer. Probably about 5-6 years old. Is it possible that something is wrong with my operating system? How could you explain such a behavior? Would this be reasonable to try to put it on a server and see if the problem is still there? Or rather there is a way to figure out how to fix it before launching the site? I will appreciate any opinions or advices. Thanks

• 1. Re: Anyone can help with the trouble in controlling links colors.
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Best way to get help is to upload your problem page to your website and post a link here so we can view it in our browsers.

You can always upload it to a temporary folder, resolve the issue then delete it from the server when solved.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Anyone can help with the trouble in controlling links colors.
            osgood_ Level 8

Jotazu wrote:

I use the page properties to set the colors for links, active links and rollover links.

Probably NOT the best idea. Setting link colors with css is the correct way.

Copy and paste code below into your pages code. Open code view in Dreamweaver and scroll down until you find the closing </head> tag (it will be near to the top of the page) paste the code into the page DIRECTLY BEFORE the closing </head> tag. Change #whatever (below) to the color you require.

<style type="text/css">

a:link {

color: #whatever;

}

a:visited {

}

a:hover {

}

a:active {

}

</style>

Jotazu wrote:

I am using pretty old computer. Probably about 5-6 years old. Is it possible that something is wrong with my operating system?

No, the age of the computer and it's operating system does not matter.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Anyone can help with the trouble in controlling links colors.
              Jotazu Level 1

Thanks so much for not leaving me alone with this problem. I was fighting almost an entire day yesterday. This is so good to know that I can count on your help here.

I used Page Properties in Property Inspector and DW automatically wrote code for colors as CSS exactly in the place Osgood describes.

I put FFFF33 for Link and 00FF00 for Rolover and Link and I left Visited not marked.

Well, today I tried to put FFFF33 for visited and….. it fixed problem!

Horay! And thank you again. I don’t know how DW or browser made it this weirid way, but determinig the value of “visited” color fixed thing.

Best,