13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 11:14 AM by Andy 2012

Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5

Andy 2012

Dear Agents of CS5

Your exciting Mission today: Well, not saving THE world, but MY personal little digital-editing world for the next few years.

Briefing:

My goal is editing of SD and HD video with CS5 student edition as a hobby. Short films between 1 and 20 minutes long, involving filters, effects etc. Using AE with different layers etc.

I´d like to have a solid machine for problemless and smooth workflow even with HD and "difficult" formats,  involving filters etc,

I am not an extremely impatient person - if something takes 25 minutes to render or 30, I don´t care too much, I just want the editing process itself (previews etc) to be smooth.

After giving it much thought, I decided to get a system which would be fit for some "medium range" overclocking if I feel like trying that out in the future.

Like, 4,3 ghz instead of 3,3 ghz sounds already sound nice to me and seems achievable even with "one button" options with motherboards nowadays.

Here´s the system - please note I am a complete beginner at this.

Please tell me if you see any major mistakes/bottlenecks or have an opinion about each component

CPU

i7 2600k

It just seemed to be the best and most recommended choice for HD video righ now. I won´t change my opinion on this.

Motherboard

Asus P8Z68-V Pro

(I am still unsure between this one and Asrock Extreme 4 - does it matter in terms of video editing? Can anyone comment who has one of these boards?

I´ll need firewire which the Asus does not have, but I can use an old PCI-Card)

GPU

I´ll use the onboard graphics for finishing a project shot in SD/PAL, I really can´t imagine there will be any problems, right?

Later this year when it gets to HD, I´ll go for an nvidia 460, 550, 560, sth like that.

(Even after doing much research, I can´t figure out how I would note the difference between a 240 and a 560 in normal editing work... both can Mercury Engine/Cuda with the hack...)

RAM

16 GB, made of 4 times DDR3 4GB/1333 CL9 Kingston

(Not much thinking here - these are the just the cheapest out there. After reading a lot aboutthis, I came to the conclusion that this does not really matter so much as an eventual OC wouldn´t concern the RAM with THIS configuration.

1666 MHZ also doesn´t seem necessary. for OC As to video editing with CS5, will this matter a lot? 1666 is only a few euros more...

HARD DRIVE

Just one 7200 500 GB disc for OS and my SD/PAL-Project. Later I´ll get 2 more drives to be fit for HD. Does that sound okay?

OS

Windows Premium 64 bit

Cooler

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

I have no idea really, I saw this one recommended over here and the price looks fine. I am not even sure if I NEED an extra cooler for mild overclocking.

PSU

Tacens Valeo3 500W 0dB (Ultra-Silenciosa) 139mm 80+ Bronze

This is the cheapest one with "80+" certificate at the place I am going to buy. 500 W is enough or should I go for 600 W?

Case

CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black Edition

(An alternative at my shop would be Thermaltake V4 Black Edition)

BTW all this will set me back about 900 Euros - at the cheapest dealer in my town who will build it for me.

Thank you SO much for reading this and helping if you can.. I promis hereby I´ll be back and let you guys know how my final build is working with CS5.

And now.. Action!

• 1. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Power supply is too small... plan for a fully stocked case

Power supply calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp (the PRO version)

Or http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html?Tpk=power%20supply%20calculator

Even an SD project will work better with a 2nd hard drive

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 2. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
            RjL190365 Level 4

Andy,

The P8Z68-V PRO actually has two Firewire 400 port headers, powered by a VIA chipset. You don't really need an old PCI card unless that card has the desirable Texas Instruments (Ti) chipset. You need only a Firewire 400 backplate/internal cable or a case with a front Firewire 400 port in order to use the FW400 controller. (The CM Elite 430 has neither a front FW400 port nor front USB 3.0 ports.)

As for the hard drive(s), get a second and third hard drive as soon as possible: SATA is only half-duplex, which means that the interface must wait for transfers in one direction to be completed before transfers in the opposite direction can even begin. And this half-duplex operation does slow down editing and encoding performance seriously (because most editing programs require simultaneous reads and writes).

And the CM Elite 430 is less than ideal for a higher-powered system such as that i7-2600K: I found that I could not achieve sufficient intake airflow in that case because it could accommodate only two 120mm intake fans but three 120mm exhaust fans (this creates an imbalanced airflow that both creates a dust vacuum and might lead to the innards running hotter than they should be). Plus, it comes with only one intake fan and no exhaust fans (the intake fan is a bit too weak for sufficient intake airflow while the exhaust fans must be purchased separately). As such, it's just adequate for my i5-2400 auxiliary editing system with a non-Ti GTX 560 and four disks total.

Finally, to accommodate a mid-range discrete GPU, I'd recommend at least a good-quality (not a crappy quality) 650W or higher PSU for that build: 500W is barely enough for the i7-2600K and the IGP without even overclocking the CPU. Plus, discrete GPUs always consume significantly more power than most IGPs.

• 3. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
              Andy 2012 Level 1

@John and RjL:  Thanks a lot for your answers!

PSU

Okay, noted, I'll look for a better PSU.

Would one of these be okay?

Corsair CX600W V2 600W 120mm Certificación 80+ Bronze

Tacens Radix-V 750W 15dB 140mm

The cheapest 700W PSU at my shop with 80+ certificate  is "Corsair GS700 Gaming 700W" and it's almost 100 Euros which seems a little insane to me,

do I really have to spend that money? Otherwise I'd have to sacrifice the 80+ certificate and go for a Thermaltake Lite Power 700W, or is that a "crappy" one?

To make things easy for you, here are the ones in the 50-100 Euro range of my shop, maybe you can just pick out the best one for me?

Thermaltake Lite Power 600W   46 €

Nox UranoII 630W 50 €

Thermaltake Lite Power 700W 56 €

Tacens Radix-V 750W   63 €

Corsair CX600W V2 600W 80+ Bronze  66 €

Nox Hummer 750W  74 €

Tacens Valeo3 600W 0dB  80+ Bronze 75 €

Nox Apex 700W Silent Fan 140mm Modular 80 €

Lox Sonar 680W 140mm LED €

Corsair GS600 Gaming Series 600W Cert. 80+ Bronze 80 €

Corsair GS700 Gaming 700W 140mm 3Color LED fun 80+ Bronze  95 €

HDD

About using only one hard drive for SD editing: I get the orchestra idea, John, and totally understand that more drives are better, but I am stubborn enough to believe that when I was able to do some okay basic SD editing (only few transitions/filters) on a celeron PC from 2005 with one hard drive and windows XP, I certainly will be able to do so on a 2012 i7 build with Windows 7? I'll post my results here. However, it won't be a problem to get some smaller spare or second hand 7200 drives to have 3 in total, I just didn't want to spend an extra 160 to 200 Euros for new drives with the prices being high right now.

CASE

I am helpless here -which one would be an inexpensive choice which is still okay? Do I have to spend a 100 Euros here???

Woudl "Thermaltake V4 Black Edition" (same price range about 40-50 Euros) be any better?

I'd love to see more comments, people - you can be very brief. Thanks!

• 4. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Look here: Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update...

Skimping on a PSU is a very bad idea. Go for a gold label PSU. And go for a big tower. With your current suggestions the CPU will have a very easy time, since it will be waiting for that single disk all the time.

• 5. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
                  Andy 2012 Level 1

Thanks for helping me again, Harm. The 3-disc-issue is well understood.

Regarding PSU, would you consider " Thermaltake ToughPower XT 775W  80+ Bronze" for about 100 Euros to be "skimping"?

I mean, that's almost TWICE the price of a Thermaltake Lite Power 700W.

The cheapest "Gold label" one at my shop is the  CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W costs 160 Euros, which seems a lot to me.

I am not a perfectionist - is't  "80+" and "Bronze" still much, much better than no certification at all, isn't it "good enough"?

• 6. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Look here: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/cat/664/voedingen.html#filter:XYzNCsIwEITfZc45VEtj2wcoeBAKe pMeSrLCQvpDUqtQ8u5ulF48LTvfN7PhwT4srWdDNx7o0r9Rj0_n1D_gcQeTt-QbJmdRY2V6BSjMSfxKmUIwk_9NFfu zE3JkFrLXmczZBtR3VFrqeVmhEyxxw24hL2jD4Six3CG1oYtMzCHNotQZohKhypOw9i5N5aU-oYsxfgA

Also check the PSU calculator mentioned in the earlier link to determine how much wattage and amperage is required on each rail. Then use the listing in the link here to find an acceptable PSU. Thermaltake is not my favorite brand. CoolerMaster and Corsair appeal much more to me. For instance the Corsair Professional Gold AX750 for € 145.

I repeat, there are many who skimp on the PSU, thinking 750 W is 750 W. But keep in mind that during encoding, which can be a lengthy process, your system is running under heavy load and the more stable the PSU, the less chances of mysterious errors or hangs. Troubleshooting PSU problems is difficult and time-consuming. Testing memory is easy, replacing a video card is easy too, but replacing a PSU is a lousy job. And let's be clear, what does it matter is a PSU costs € 50 more over the life-span of your system. A good PSU can even survive a significant system upgrade, like a new CPU, more memory, a new video card, new disks and continue working reliably.

A good PSU is comparable to a good tripod for your video camera. A good tripod is very expensive. I'm investigating a new one and the cost is almost prohibitive (around € 3600) but it will last for many years and give you much better shots. While a good PSU is not as prohibitive in price as a tripod, the same thinking applies. You get what you pay for.

• 7. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
                      Andy 2012 Level 1

Thanks again for your precious time. It's clear we play in very different leagues and probably also use our systems in different ways.

Yet, I'll try to follow your suggestions as the explainations seem logical.

Your link looks great but I am going to buy everything at the same place in my town and let them build it for me, so I am a bit limited to their prices and offer.

The difference between "Bronce" and "Gold" is still not that clear to me. "Good" seems good enough to me, I'm not sure if I need "Fantastic").

I can get a Corsair GS800 Gaming Series 800W 80+ Bronce for 107 €

If not, I guess it'll be a CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W for 162 €

(which would be those "50 € extra").

You must do some high profile work, considering that for the price of that tripod alone somebody could buy a computer, a camera, a tripod, make a short film

and win a price at a festival... but hey -  I'm sure you'll make good use of it, so enjoy!

• 8. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

You must do some high profile work, considering that for the price of that tripod alone somebody could buy a computer, a camera, a tripod, make a short film

and win a price at a festival... but hey -  I'm sure you'll make good use of it, so enjoy!

No, I'm a mere hobbyist, but I have the problem of a 5.7 kg rig as a payload (5.1 kg without on camera light), which severly limits my choices in heads. Either Sachtler FSB6 or Vinten V5AS. Add to this that I really want 2-2-1 legs, and not 2-1-1 and you further limit the choices. Sachtler is out. Then AL or CF and with the required weight and portability, CF remains. Even though I have always used a GLS, I think it time to move to a MLS, given some intended projects and the choices are further reduced. Luckily my COG is reasonably low, so that means either of the above heads would be quite good and there is no need to move to sticks with a 100mm bowl.

• 9. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
                          Andy 2012 Level 1

@ RjL I knew about the inside firewire, but still, "Firewire 400 backplate/internal cable or a case with a front Firewire 400 port" will cost money and I already have the PCI card. Quality should be the same, right?

• 10. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
                            Andy 2012 Level 1

I see, you're doing some "heavy" filming ;-) ! Btw, you recommend 1600 RAM rather than 1333 RAM on the other thread. Does that make a big difference for editing with cs5 after all?

• 11. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Does that make a big difference

Only in single digit %. But it allows for better overclocking and the price difference is minimal.

• 12. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
                                RjL190365 Level 4

Oh, yes. The backplate still costs money. However, beginning with the LGA 1155 platform, Intel has eliminated native legacy PCI card support from its new chipsets, forcing motherboard manufacturers to include a third-party PCI-e to PCI bridge chip on most of their motherboards. Unfortunately, bridge chips can (and sometimes do) cause problems: The bridge chip eats up one of the PCH's limited number of PCI-e lanes, and may also slow down the performance of a legacy PCI device that would have otherwise performed reasonably fast on older systems with native PCI-Legacy support (this includes older Intel platforms up to and including the first-generation i5/i7 LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 platforms).

• 13. Re: Your opinion on my i7 2600k-Konfiguration for CS5
                                  Andy 2012 Level 1

@ RjL

With a little delay and just for the sake of completeness of this threat, I wanted to say thank you for the info regarding the firewire connector backplate for the asus motherboard and "report" that the "money" this costs (backplate with cable)  is less than 4 (FOUR) Euros - nothing really. Didn´t know that. I have a few more doubts regarding my system hard drive but I guess it´s better or at least okay to start a new threat as it´s about the same system but a different question.