10 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2008 1:15 PM by TDHCharles

MultiUser Xtra Help

TDHCharles
      Director / Lingo Community,

I'm attempting to do something fairly simple with the MultiUser Xtra, but can not find any documentation on how to accomplish this. To put it in simplest terms, I'd like to have director projectors running on 4 PCs sitting in a wait state. I will have a fifth computer setup with Director that will have a basic start button. When pressing this button I would like the other 4 Director projectors to start playing. Then once they are done, they return to their wait state. It seems like a simple thing to do with some network calls, and I *think* the multiuser xtra could handle this. Can anyone point me in the right direction or offer some basic coding help? I'm up against a tight deadline.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Charles
        • 1. Re: MultiUser Xtra Help
          Level 7
          Yes, the MUS xtra can do this. There could be other ways as well, but it
          would not be too difficult using the MUS xtra either. If you are going
          to use a peer-to-peer method I think all the machines would need to be
          on the same LAN (or each host projector would need to be on an a
          different LAN). Otherwise you would have to use the actual MUS Server
          which makes it more complicated. I myself don't have much experience
          with the MUS Server, but I have used the MUS Xtra to create p2p
          applications.

The basic idea is as follows. Your four projector would each be running
          an instance of the xtra in 'host' mode (using the WaitForNetConnection
          function). Your 5th projector would start four instances of the Xtra as
          a client(connectToNetServer), with each instance connecting to one of
          the projectors running as host.

After all of the connections are up, then you could easily send messages
          from the 5th projector to one or more of the host projectors telling
          them to do anything you wanted (play a video, run an animation, whatever).

In my learning process, one of the learning sources I found was a sample
          movie the demonstrates making a simple connection.

http://poppy.macromedia.com/multiuser/archive-99-12-03/openlingo/PeerConnMinimal/

I might be able to offer you some assistance (as time permits). I
          learned quite a bit about using the MUS Xtra to a create P2P
          application, specifically one that uses multiple instance of the Xtra in
          a single movie similar to what you are doing. I wrote what I believe is
          a fairly decent Parent Script for creating generic client and server
          instances of the xtra. The script handles all of the basic (required)
          portions of making the connection and allows you to add any custom
          messages handlers need on top of that.

Good luck, let me know if you want to talk off the forum.

Dave

TDHCharles wrote:
          > Director / Lingo Community,
          >
          > I'm attempting to do something fairly simple with the MultiUser Xtra, but can
          > not find any documentation on how to accomplish this. To put it in simplest
          > terms, I'd like to have director projectors running on 4 PCs sitting in a wait
          > state. I will have a fifth computer setup with Director that will have a basic
          > start button. When pressing this button I would like the other 4 Director
          > projectors to start playing. Then once they are done, they return to their
          > wait state. It seems like a simple thing to do with some network calls, and I
          > *think* the multiuser xtra could handle this. Can anyone point me in the right
          > direction or offer some basic coding help? I'm up against a tight deadline.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any help.
          >
          > Charles
          > SupD
          >
          • 2. MultiUser Xtra Help
            TDHCharles Level 1
            Dave C,

Awesome, Hopefully those .dir files will help me start to understand the xtra and it's functions. I'd love to be able to chat with you off the forum. I'll post my email address for a short period of time so you can try to contact me. I'll look for your email. My contact email is: ~~~~~~

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to start studying that code.

Charles
            • 3. Re: MultiUser Xtra Help
              Level 7
              Oh, you probably should have used some of the tricks to obscure your
              email address to prevent the spam bots from finding it. Can you really
              remove the message? Anyway I have your address and will contact you.

Of course if anyone else on the forum has any other suggestions, I hope
              they would still chime in.
              • 4. Re: MultiUser Xtra Help
                Level 7
                I have your address saved. Remove the message if you can so the spam
                bots dont find you.

If anyone else on the forum has other input, I hope they will still
                chime in.
                • 5. Re: MultiUser Xtra Help
                  TDHCharles Level 1
                  Thanks Dave, I've removed my email address. Look forward to chatting with you. Once we connect via email I'll give you my AIM address if that will help.

Charles
                  • 6. Re: MultiUser Xtra Help
                    Level 7
                    TDHCharles wrote:
                    > I've removed my email address.

FYI, that is not possible: your post was spread all over usenet within
                    seconds of being posted. It might not appear in the web forum, but I can
                    assure you it is now on hundreds of news servers all over the planet. And
                    google groups won't forget it either.

All you can do is use a spam filter :-(

Andrew

• 8. Re: MultiUser Xtra Help
                      TDHCharles Level 1
                      Luckily I got a great spam filter. :-)
                      • 9. Re: MultiUser Xtra Help
                        Level 7
                        I'm not why I suggested doing it the way I originally did. I suppose it
                        makes more sense to have your 5th computer running a single instance of
                        the xtra in host mode, and have the other four connect to it.
                        • 10. Re: MultiUser Xtra Help
                          TDHCharles Level 1
                          that's how I've started building the application, one host, with the other machines connecting to it. Once the main system detects all are connected, then I'm assuming I could build a button that would send a message to all of them to start playing their movies?

Charles