5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 3:11 PM by RjL190365

apple sees the light :)

Turgut Unal Level 1

I READ TODAY

Apple may be switching back to NVIDIA for the upcoming Mac Pro’s primary GPU, according to an anonymous source speaking with MIC Gadget. The new Mac Pros will reportedly feature Intel’s upcoming Ivy Bridge chipset, which features 22 nanometer transistor technology and is more efficient than the previous Sandy Bridge processors. The site also suggests that the Cupertino-based company has been testing new processors with 8 cores and 20MB of cache. The overheating issues that have plagued previous models have been solved thanks to the 30% increase in heat dissipation efficiency afforded by Intel’s new chips. For graphics in the new Mac Pro, Apple has reportedly chosen NVIDIA’s “Kepler” platform, which is set to be released around the same time as Intel’s new CPUs. Apple is expected to launch its refreshed Mac Pro line in the third quarter this year, MIC Gadget stated.

• 1. Re: apple sees the light :)
          RjL190365 Level 4

This could mean that many of the OSX users might need a CS6 CUDA hack for the new 2012 Mac Pros (if and when they come out)...

• 2. Re: apple sees the light :)
            Jim_Simon Level 9

Dude!!  Your headline was misleading.  I thought they were finally going to apologize for causing so many problems and incompatibility issues throughout the years and were going out of business.

Shame on you.

• 3. Re: apple sees the light :)
              Turgut Unal Level 1

I have got new sleeping one year old baby a Mac Pro with ati.

Because of problems I have read- I cant imagine quadro 4000.

hey Jim

soooo angry I am with apple

IM so happy with my Pc "Lisa Colombus Xl" thx to  Mercifull

(Im surrounded with jarks saying FCP is better. Because apple is for it.)

• 4. Re: apple sees the light :)
                jasonvp Level 3

Turgut Unal wrote:

The new Mac Pros will reportedly feature Intel’s upcoming Ivy Bridge chipset, which features 22 nanometer transistor technology and is more efficient than the previous Sandy Bridge processors.

This has been hashed out on the MacRumors forums, and is basically fully of "kindergarten" mistakes.  The main problems is: the Mac Pro uses Xeons.  Full stop.  IB Xeons aren't due till sometime in 2013; likely the second half.  If we're going to see a new Pro, it's going to be with the SB Xeons finally ship in the Spring.

Whether they switch back to nVidia or not is anyone's guess.  The likelihood of it is slim to none given the past between the two companies.  Apple has a huge partnership with ATI, for better, for worse.  It's unlikely they're going to throw that away.

Don't believe everything you read on the Intardwebz.

jas

• 5. Re: apple sees the light :)
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Thanks for clearing this up.