10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 9:57 PM by Mylenium

Video plays everywhere except AE

Ollik92

so i took a few weeks break from using after-effects, and now that i come back I find that none of my compositions play any video. and its not just compositions, i cant get any sort of imported video to play on AE except for one my old projects which I rendered previously with after-effects in to .avi.

im trying to play screen-capture footage. Its in AVI format. I can hear sound fine in after effects when previewing as normal, but no video at all.

All video's work everywhere else ive tried (Bridge, MPC, VLC, WMP) so it seems this problem is just with after effects.

All the videos im trying to get to work HAVE worked with AE before, so im not sure what went wrong.

I know this sort of smells like a codec related problem, but I have no idea how to get around solving this one, so i need help.

• 1. Re: Video plays everywhere except AE
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I know this sort of smells like a codec related problem,

Spot-on diagnosis, I'd say. Beyond that you are not telling us anything. No version of AE, no CoDec info, no info on your capture software, no system specs, which leaves us just as baffled and with dumbfounded looks on our faces as you may experience yourself...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Video plays everywhere except AE
            Ollik92 Level 1

ah sorry I totally forgot all that

so im using AE CS5.5, video's captured using PlayClaw 2.1.0 (http://playclaw.com/), with the compression method set to high. i cant find any indication as to which codec is used to compress the video.

during my break, I didnt modify any of my codec's at all. the only thing i really did during the break was run a full system virus scan which only found and deleted one trojan.

edit: alright did some snooping around and the only codec that is even mentioned is YUV422.

edit2: did some more investigating and using some freeware i managed to find out my videos are OpenDML (AVI v2.0) using MJPG codec, but still no idea how all this applies to AE, since ALL my videos HAVE worked in AE before, and i sure haven't deleted any codecs.

• 3. Re: Video plays everywhere except AE
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

There is one thing it could be, and it's codec related.  Have you installed the K-Lite codec pack, by any chance?  It's toxic to AE, and it manifests its evil ways just like you describe. 

If you did install it, I regret to say that it's devilishly hard to get rid of.  You'll have to go so far as to reinstall the operating system.  Back to Square One for your machine.

• 4. Re: Video plays everywhere except AE
                Ollik92 Level 1

I went ahead and did indeed find the K-lite codec pack installed on my computer.. no idea how that got there but i installed it (which didnt fix the problem) then i searched for more codec related stuff in my programs list and found the CCCP codec pack, and uninstalling that fixed my problem

• 5. Re: Video plays everywhere except AE
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Ollik92 wrote:

I went ahead and did indeed find the K-lite codec pack installed on my computer.. no idea how that got there but i installed it.

That was precisely the WRONG THING TO DO! Get rid of K-Lite now, or you'll regret it later!  And I mean RIGHT now: the clock is ticking......

...if you get rid of it quickly enough, you may not have to reinstall every piece of software on your machine, including the operating system.  Kapiche?

• 6. Re: Video plays everywhere except AE
                    Ollik92 Level 1

oops what i meant to say was UNinstalled it

• 7. Re: Video plays everywhere except AE
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, if it's been there long enough, it still may have caused damage.  Even though you uninstalled it, it remains a prime suspect in future cases of AE Weirdness.  Be prepared.

• 8. Re: Video plays everywhere except AE
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

When you install K-Lite, it makes changes that prevent other codecs from working. When you uninstall K-Lite, it does not undo this damage.

I have seen people need to completely re-install their operating system to undo this damage.

• 9. Re: Video plays everywhere except AE
                          Ollik92 Level 1

alright well like i said everything is working fine so far so ill just go with the flow.. will keep it in mind though if i get weird stuff goin on in the future

• 10. Re: Video plays everywhere except AE
                            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What the others said - stay away from CoDec packs. You don't need them for any serious professional work (this stuff is really only for kids that rip and download movies) and they do a lot of damage.

Mylenium