2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 12:52 PM by oooheerrrrmissus

Using elements from input forms to use in reports...can it be done?? XML maybe?

oooheerrrrmissus

Hi,

I am required to create a large number of input forms. For each form item, there is a heading to describe what the form item collects and also additional descriptive text, such as units of measurements etc.

I intend to create a report that will loop through and display this captured data on a per day basis. As there could be several forms of data multiplied over several days or weeks, this will return a lot of data

eg.

Day 1

Data 1

Data 2

Data 3 etc...

Day 2

Data 1

Data 2

Data 3 etc...

Day 3

Data 1

Data 2

Data 3 etc...

etc........

In addition to the data captured in the database, i also need to furnish the returned data in the report with the headings and descriptive text that was on the forms so that the context of the data is apparent.

I have thought about how  i may acheive this

1. check each data item returned and append the appropriate text (could involve hundreds of checks against hundreds of data items....Yikes seems like a bad way to do this

2. maybe theres another way....reading around i wondered if XML could be used ( i have no experience with XML)

if the form was constructed with XML, and when the report runs, the returned data is able to be linked to the appropriate XML section and the descriptive text could be appended, rather than be subjected to numerous if...else statements....is this feasible with XML? how could i achieve this?

Sorry if this is unclear or not what XML is about and i'm way off...I'm learning this stuff as i go along so only have the internet and forums to bounce ideas off.

Thanks for reading this and if you've got any ideas about how i might achieve this with XML or not...i'm very open to suggestions

Cheers

• 1. Re: Using elements from input forms to use in reports...can it be done?? XML maybe?
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Ok, let's take this one step at a time.  First what database type is this going into?  Pointing you in the right direction for that is the best place to start.

Next when you talk about returning the data to a report, are you using a reporting service or what are you trying to do here?

Depending on what needs to be done, the type of database and the complexity of the data, I have found that simply entering the data into the database and running a query out of a Sharepoint server or even Excel will usually suffice unless there is something in play that we don't know about.

• 2. Re: Using elements from input forms to use in reports...can it be done?? XML maybe?
            oooheerrrrmissus Level 1

Database is MySQL

SnakEyez02 wrote:

Ok, let's take this one step at a time.  First what database type is this going into?  Pointing you in the right direction for that is the best place to start.

>> MySQL

Next when you talk about returning the data to a report, are you using a reporting service or what are you trying to do here?

>> HTML/PHP report created with Dreamweaver with queries to recordset

Depending on what needs to be done, the type of database and the complexity of the data, I have found that simply entering the data into the database and running a query out of a Sharepoint server or even Excel will usually suffice unless there is something in play that we don't know about.

>>  Yes i can query the database and use those results, what i also want to use is the extraneous elements, such as headings, descriptive text e.g for an input field that captures temperature, you would have

Heading              Input element                     Descriptive text

Temperature:      [ Input temp in box here]     degree centigrade

I want to know if there is a way of reusing these from my forms into my report by using XML, rather that some onerous checking process to append the text to returned data.

Thanks for taking the time to consider this..