13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 7:41 AM by peter minneapolis

Upgrade on understanding of tabs

luca del carlo Level 1

I'm working on the endnotes of a textbook and must create something which looks like this (in terms of tab settings):

PREFACE

1  Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Das Sichtbare und das Unsichtbare,

Fink Verlag (München), 1986, S. 195

INTRODUCTION

2  Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Das Sichtbare und das Unsichtbare,

3  Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Das Sichtbare und das Unsichtbare,

I've built up a mental block on working with tabs, indents, etc, by continually reading various instructions and somehow not 'getting it'. I seek a refresh in the simplest of terms on how to duplicate the above. What I'm having trouble with in particular is the second line of each entry lining up with the words of the first line (not the numeral). i.e. in my ID document it looks like this:

INTRODUCTION

2  Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Das Sichtbare und das Unsichtbare,

3  Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Das Sichtbare und das Unsichtbare,

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs
          Michael Gianino Level 4

If you use the bullets and numbers function in InDesign, most of the work will be done for you, but I'll tell you what's going on behind the scene.

This situation is called a hanging indent. To make one from scratch, you essentially set a left indent of some amount (let's say a half inch), and set a first-line indent of the negative amount of what ever you used for your left indent (so -.5"). What that does is to push all the lines of the paragraph over to the left margin, but allows the first line to extend back to the beginning of the text frame, where the bullet or number will be. If you were building this from scratch, you would put a tab inbetween the bullet/number and the rest of the paragraph, but the bullets and numbers function will do that for you, but it won't be a selectable character the way it would need to be if you did it from scratch.

Just remember that the left indent is the bulk of the paragraph, and the first line indent is how far to the left of that mark you want your bullet/number. If you had a multi-level bullet/number, such as:

1.  asdf asdf asdf

2.  asdf asdf asdf

a) asdf asdf asdf asdf

b) asdf asdf asdf asdf

c) asdf asdf asdf asdf

3. asdf asdf asdf

…the second level would have a larger left indent (let's say 1"), but wouldn't need to go back to the left side of the text frame, so it wouldn't get -1" first-line indent, but maybe just -.5.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In the US, we call what you are looking for a "hanging indent" on the first line.

You'll want to add an amount of "left indent" to the paragraph style to equal the maximum amount the paragraphgs should be indented (for second and following lines), then add a negative number in the "first line indent" field to let the first line hang out to the left.

• 3. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs
              luca del carlo Level 1

The bullet/number in this layout actually shouldn't extend back to the text frame, just the 'introduction' heading does:

INTRODUCTION

I do follow the indent/negative indent instructions, but when including the footnote numbers, then how to line up text after the numbers?

• 4. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs

Same thing, essentially.

Headings have no indent.

List has indent/hanging indent, and set the tab after the number to the same value as the paragraph indent should work, I think. If not, it probably means you don't have sufficient hang to accomodate the numbers.

• 5. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs
                  luca del carlo Level 1

I'm using the auto bullets/numbering option.

1. Is it possible to number each item without a period follwing each number?

2. How does one indent the entire list of numbered items?

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs

1. Sure.  Just don't put a period after the ^# marker in the second field (circled in the screen shot below, which does have a period, followed by a tab):

Numbered List options.png

2. paragraph indents are completely separate from numbering. Set an indent (and a first line negative indent) in the Indents and Spacing section of your style definition.

• 7. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs
                      luca del carlo Level 1

For each new chapter, the footnotes should restart from 1, but I haven't succeeded here. I did a paragraph style with the indentation/hanging indents, then applied it to the next chapter. In the Bullets and Numbering box, I changed 'mode' from 'continue from prvious number' to 'start at' and then selected '1'.

Now, however, each footnote's number is '1' and no longer counts up. What's wrong?

• 8. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs
                        luca del carlo Level 1

Another issue as well is that the space between endnote number and endnote for notes 1-9 differs from 10-99 where it losese one space and moves closer to the note. I've tried allignment in Bullets and Numbering, but that's not solving it. As we go from 1-9, to 10-99, and then 100+, the space between note and endnote number should stay the same and the extra digits move to the left, not to the right closer to the note's text.

• 9. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs

Would one of you guys who does a lot of numbering care to step back in? It takes me hours to set up lists becasue I have to figure it out again every time.

• 10. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs

OK, so nobody who does lists on a regular basis wants to step in, so I'll give it a whack, and maybe my memory is good enough to help you figure it out on your own.

As I recall, you basically need to do a two-level list, and include the headings in the list (you'll want to define a named list for this). For the headings, remove the number formatting information from the number field so it is blank, and then set the numbering to start at 0. This will do two things, leave the headings without a number displaying, and set up the next paragraph to start at 1. For the paragraph style on the items you want numbered, choose the list name you defined in the List dropdown field, and set numbering to continue from previous. While you probably don't need to in this case, I would probably make this a level 2 paragraph and also set Restart numbering after any previous level.

Because the headings are now part of the list, and are numbered 0 (invisibly, and they always carry that number), the list below should start at 1 and reset after every heading.

• 11. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs
                              luca del carlo Level 1

Though I must come to understand how to do this, for what I'm working on presently, I've just 3 sections where numbering needs to restart. Is there a shortcut to do this less efficiently (but adequate and quick for the limited need now)?

• 12. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs

Not that I know. It sounds more complicated than it really is.

• 13. Re: Upgrade on understanding of tabs
                                  peter minneapolis Level 4

Peter Spier wrote:

Would one of you guys who does a lot of numbering care to step back in? It takes me hours to set up lists becasue I have to figure it out again every time.

For all who are interested in good info and examples, search Google for terms like "indesign multiple levels number bulleted list tutorial video" without quotes.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices