4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 8:52 AM by lordloco79

Video PC Spec's - Your help / advice / opinions please

lordloco79 Level 1

Good day to you one and all...

I am currently speccing out my new PC and would like some sound advice on a couple of the components, basically the GPU and the Processors, everything else I am happy with, HDDs and RAM etc.

My main area of work is using Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro CS5.5 (moving to CS6 as soon as it lands), I do also use a little bit of Cinema 4D here and there, but this is very small on my list and I never have long or hugely complicated scenes to render.

Basically, I am a little stumped on what set up would be best and if getting the more expensive processors will be of any huge advantage given the massive price differences.

First question:

I am going to go for a dual Xeon set up, and would like to hear any opinions on which would be best please...

A: Intel Xeon processor X5650

B: Intel Xeon processor L5640

C: Intel Xeon processor E5649

Secondly:

For the GPU I am looking at either of these:
                A: nVidia Quadro 5000 (352 CUDA Cores)

B: nVidia 590GTX (1024 CUDA Cores)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated - and thank you in advance.

Bradley

• 1. Re: Video PC Spec's - Your help / advice / opinions please
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Bradley,

First: Forget about dual Xeons. They are not worth the expenditure and they use old technology.

Second: Forget about the 590, since you can only use half of it. Dual GPU's are not supported. Better get a GTX 580, less costly than a 590 or a Quadro 5000 and it gives better performance.

If you have the budget for it, go for the warrior version mentioned here: Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update...

• 2. Re: Video PC Spec's - Your help / advice / opinions please
            lordloco79 Level 1

Thanks so much for your advice Harm

I have no option of getting anything other than Xeon processors (my company Fujitsu build the machines and will not use anything else) so I have to go with one of those 3 choices really!

Whats with the new Xeons with 6 cores using old technology, i dont really understand why? (i am not looking for an answer to this one I just dont get it!)

I think the advice to go for the far cheaper 580GTX is very much appreciated - Something I would really like to know though, is why only half of the 590GTX cores would be used, is Premiere/MPE restricted to a maximum amount?

Thanks again for your excellent advice - Top man

Bradley

• 3. Re: Video PC Spec's - Your help / advice / opinions please
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Bradley,

The 56xx architecture is two years old and will be succeeded shortly by the new 22nm Xeons. If you want to go current Xeon, get dual X5690's on an EVGA SR-2 mobo, overclocked to 4+ GHz. Otherwise you will never have anything more than a very mediocre system. A Fujitsu mobo can not be overclocked and is easily outrun by a simple i7-2600K. So much for BFTB (Bang-for-the-buck).

PR only supports one GPU.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Video PC Spec's - Your help / advice / opinions please
                lordloco79 Level 1

Thanks Harm, such valuable advice again - really appreciate it.

So a 580 GTX it is then...

with regards to the Xeon processors, what a shame I cant wait until the new ones are out, i HAVE to make the order within the next 1-2 weeks for my PC before my company starts closing its books ready for the next financial year!

I dont think they will let me go for the X5690 as in the UK these are over £1000 a piece... big shame!

As aways thank you for taking the time to reply so quickly - You Legend!

Bradley