4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 1:13 PM by Noel Carboni

Question about color differences

stirgy

Hi. Using Adobe Photoshop CS2.

I'm noticing a color difference between an image I'm working on in PS and the final image - after it has been saved.

For example: working on a image of earth. The image on the web has very deep blues. but when I open it into PS, it looks very purple-ish and when I save it, the color is blue again.

Sometime the difference is slight, and other times it is definitely noticeable.

Is there a setting I could adjust? One that would keep the image's true color?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Question about color differences
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Welcome to the wonderful world of color management.

If you're saving the image with embedded icc-profile, in a format that supports profiles, use a web browser that supports full color management (Firefox but not IE), and have your Photoshop color settings set to "preserve embedded profiles"....then you will not see a color shift.

Whether the color you then see is right, depends on the monitor profile. But it should be consistent.

Otherwise all bets are off.

• 2. Re: Question about color differences
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

One that would keep the image's true color?

You might be subject to a misconception; the R-, G- and B-values in an RGB image do not actually describe a color if they are not allocated a position in the Lab- (or like) space (via an ICC-profile).

They might indicate that a pixel is darker, lighter, more red, etc. than another pixel but which (human) color perception it should actually trigger is not clear without the profile.

What are your Edit > Color Settings in Photoshop? (posting screenshots can save one some typing)

• 3. Re: Question about color differences
              stirgy Level 1

here is a screenshot of my color settings:

Capture44.jpg

• 4. Re: Question about color differences
                Noel Carboni Level 8

I suggest as a first step, check all those boxes in the Color Management Policies section.

Another thing that could help is to open your OS Color Management panel, look in Devices, and post a screenshot of that too.  Inevitably you'll be asked what monitor profile you have set up.

-Noel