2 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2008 8:02 AM by kindaian

should I pack my application with some tool to start it on mac? It is not enough to create OSX file

Level 7
      Hi

I've ported my application on mac OS X 1.4, created an osf file, it works OK
      on computer where director is installed
      But when I copy it to other Mac, without Director, the format osx is not
      recognised

Do I need to pack my complete application with all casts in some other
      format (.app or something similar) so that I can run it on other Macs?

Any help will be appreciated,

I'm newbie to mac, so please forgive me if this question sounds silly

Any help will be appreciated
      game_dev

• 1. Re: should I pack my application with some tool to start it on mac?   It is not enough to create OSX file
          Level 7
          Having Director installed has nothing to do with the Mac's ability to
          open .osx files. In fact, Macs don't really care about the extension
          very much. You can change the extension to .app if you want, and it will
          still work the same. (or not work the same...)

I assume you are using MX 2004. When you make the Mac projector, if you
          are on a PC, it will make a .hqx archive with the .osx file inside. As
          long as you un-archive it on a Mac, and never let the .osx file touch a
          network or PC file system, it should work just fine.

If you authored it on a Mac, then it should always work as long as you
          do not let it touch a network or PC file system.

If you want to put it on a network or PC file system to transport it to
          another Mac, then you would archive it in some fashion, like stuffit
          (.sit) which is quite common in the Mac world, or .zip which is quite
          common everywhere.

The "standard" way of packaging Mac programs is usually to use a .dmg
          wrapper. Then, you give the dmg file to someone, they double click it,
          and it mounts the folder as if it were a CD or other hard drive. There
          are free tools like DMGTool to help make these, or you can use the Disk
          Utility that comes with the Macs to make one.

But in a pinch, simply zipping it should work fine.
          • 2. Re: should I pack my application with some tool to start it on mac? It is not enough to create OSX file
            kindaian
            Just be attentive that in Macs, all files are in reality 2 files bundled together... one with the content and one with metadata describing how the OS will handle the file.

That is why the .hqx appeared (to allow the bundling of files and migrate them to PC or other OS without ruining them for Mac OS).

The Mac OS, by default can handle the build up of the .hqx files.

And if you use macimage for instance (my prefered tool to make multi-os cdroms), you can add directly the hqx files and the tool will handle them correctly (you can even do some "magic" with OSX like autostart, if the users have quicktime installed and autostart of quicktime activated). [not to mention deciding which files will go for mac and which will go for the pc]

;)